Trading Discussion: What if trading didn't exist?

Would be a sad day.

You're just missing a huge part of the game playing self found.
It's not about expensive items (although some might be nice).
It's not about beating atziri or whatever.
It's about diversity.

Next build i wanna try is with a scold's bridle. Chances that I get one before i'm done with current build? Not really high. However, should be pretty easy to buy one.
Why do a random build with random dropped items and a random skill that will be totally meh or that I won't really like when I've seen some super fancy idea.

Why the hell would it be good to restrict yourself to drops when you have a shitton of options.
Because you can't bother to sell/buy? Yeah anti-social skill always a solid pick. If you don't go hardcore on flipping, it's not so much of a hassle.

It's just about the "omg this seems too nice, I wanna do it" or "I got the idea of the year, if I mix this and this, I get THE dps or 12s invulnerability or 340% aoe or whatever". Then you tweak, try different options to make it work, end up failing or making it work.

At least to me this game is like a giant puzzle, but you're only playing with square pieces when others play with any kind.

EDIT: Solo self found for challenge can probably be nice. Once or with some friends with some goals or whatever. But only self-found always for many months... No thx.
Last edited by Squirrel_of_doom on Dec 23, 2014, 10:33:16 AM
"
Would be a sad day.

You're just missing a huge part of the game playing self found.
It's not about expensive items (although some might be nice).
It's not about beating atziri or whatever.
It's about diversity.

Next build i wanna try is with a scold's bridle. Chances that I get one before i'm done with current build? Not really high. However, should be pretty easy to buy one.
Why do a random build with random dropped items and a random skill that will be totally meh or that I won't really like when I've seen some super fancy idea.

Why the hell would it be good to restrict yourself to drops when you have a shitton of options.
Because you can't bother to sell/buy? Yeah anti-social skill always a solid pick. If you don't go hardcore on flipping, it's not so much of a hassle.

It's just about the "omg this seems too nice, I wanna do it" or "I got the idea of the year, if I mix this and this, I get THE dps or 12s invulnerability or 340% aoe or whatever". Then you tweak, try different options to make it work, end up failing or making it work.

At least to me this game is like a giant puzzle, but you're only playing with square pieces when others play with any kind.

+1 to this. The selection of builds that are functional in maps with 0 trading is much, much smaller than what's out there. Is it fun to try and get a good build without trading, for the challenge? Sure, and my current character is doing fine with 100% self-found gear, but I'd rather have the option of doing all the other builds out there too.
"
majesw wrote:
If trade didn't exist then GGG would have to redesign the game so that each class only had 1-2 builds. Once they did this they could get rid of the item diversity and just drop what players need.

Like other people in this thread have pointed out, you can just go take a look at D3. They have no item diversity, 1-2 builds per class, and it's all self found. It works fine.

They will do a self-found league for PoE at some point. The game farms absolutely fine the whole way through. But you'd see a lot less diversity in player builds.

D3 ALWAYS only had 1-2 build per class, even with trade. Thats shitty itemization and skills D3 has not trades fault.

But at least with trade I could sell my cookie cutter CM wiz gear and build a cookie cutter WW barb in 30 min.

Now without trade you may never find parts you need for the cookie cutter Flame Hydra wiz every wiz is rifting with. Or you may find all the part a week in. That sucks.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Dec 23, 2014, 11:39:12 AM
The real issue with trade is that people just do it too much. I've found a stable equilibrium between tradecore and self-found. Light trading.

I maintain a shitty shop- a few chaos leak in every once in a while as a result. I use as much of the gear I find as possible, and only buy an item if it really fills a hole. The key word in that sentence is AN. I don't purchase a whole set of gear, ever.

Yes, people will say (rightly so) that it is simply gimping yourself. However, the game's pace is slower and more enjoyable for me. Content doesn't blaze by in a heartbeat.

Trading needs to be viewed more as shitty RNG insurance than a means to an end.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
The real issue with trade is that people just do it too much. I've found a stable equilibrium between tradecore and self-found. Light trading.

I maintain a shitty shop- a few chaos leak in every once in a while as a result. I use as much of the gear I find as possible, and only buy an item if it really fills a hole. The key word in that sentence is AN. I don't purchase a whole set of gear, ever.

Yes, people will say (rightly so) that it is simply gimping yourself. However, the game's pace is slower and more enjoyable for me. Content doesn't blaze by in a heartbeat.

There's nothing wrong with playing like this if it's what floats your boat now, but I do remember you having a TON of fun when you traded for Mjolner and Astramentis and built around that :)
Yeah you dont even need to trade in this game unlike original D3. Last two ladder I self found up to merc dom. Maybe for atziri you do though but merc dom is like end of the regular game and self found can do. However when building ultimate characters trade is a must.
Git R Dun!
"
SorakPoE wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:

There's nothing wrong with playing like this if it's what floats your boat now, but I do remember you having a TON of fun when you traded for Mjolner and Astramentis and built around that :)

Yep, I would consider that my first experience in hardcore trading- it also burned me the fuck out. Same with doing the rampage uniques challenge.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
if trading didn't exist, Path Of Exile wouldn't exist - because almost every single aspect of it is about trade, and balanced around trade.
I hate that, as someone who loves solo gameplay and prefers to find/earn his own damn loot - but it is a fact nonetheless.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
What if everyone had to be forced to be self found?

Before you ask, yes, im a self found player, and i do have so much more joy playing self found then playing trades...

But, how would the general playerbase react if GGG said in patch notes

"- Removing the trade feature"

Or something along those lines...

I wouldn't be affected of course.

There is logic behind this post, nothing to flame or boast about, pure logic.

You can play this game self found, its 100000000000000000000000000000% possible... people say its difficult because they force themselves to play a build where it requires expensive items such as Shavs or a Loathe Bane (i think...?)

My personal trick to getting an expensive build to work, is to make a build that doesnt require any GG items, and farm... just, farm, play the game how it's meant to be played... farm hours on maps, dom, atziri, idgaf, just farm, and youll get the items you need.

anyway...

What if trading didn't exist?

We already had this in diablo 2. It worked fine. You weren't around back then? It would be nice if one day path of exile could also be offline and perhaps a singe player forum for self found people to hang out in.
I was like 5 when d2 came out so i didnt play it. last game i played w/o trade was titan quest an offline game and it sucked. Much better to sell inapplicable shit for applicable. More efficient and more like real life if you think about it. BoA/no trade is like anti real life
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info