[2.0 updated] Shmizz's hardcore perma-freeze guide

Thank you for the build, it looks awesome. I wanted to play a cold build for some time but never managed to play an efficient and fun one so far. I started this build with a shadow because I can't stand playing another witch neither another templar right now.

Thanks also sibbleTV for the detailed comments, it helps a lot to have a solid perspective :) I was really worried about clear speed but it looks like you are managing fine, so in the long run it should work out.
How do you feel with Rathpith Globe?

What do you think about saffel to manage reflec?
I made sure I got the highest % of block chance applied to spells I could find. As far as reflect mobs go, I really don't see that much of a difference between the globe the frame. Let's talk about the differences between the 2 shields...

Saffell's Frame:
Chance to block: 24%
+4% to all Elemental Resistances
(70 to 80)% of Block Chance applied to Spells
(20 to 30)% increased Spell Damage
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
+4% to all maximum Resistances
Cannot Block Attacks

This is obviously the budget shield as it is much cheaper than buying a Rathpith Globe. We get +14 to all and +4 to maximum resistances, which is pretty damn sweet. With purity of ice, our maximum cold resistance becomes 83%. We get a little bit of spell damage and 16-19% chance to block spells, however, we can no longer block regular attacks. Let's look at the globe...

------------------------------------

Rathpith Globe:
Chance to block: 25%
(40 to 60)% of Block Chance applied to Spells
(40 to 60)% increased Spell Damage
10% increased maximum Life
(120 to 160)% increased Energy Shield
+25% to Lightning Resistance

Well, we no longer get that +max res and that nice cushion +to all which makes me a saaaaad panda. What's this though? +10% to maximum life!? Hot damn! Life is the #1 stat in this league, it flat out trumps all others (unless you're running CI of course.) Continuing on we can see that 10-15% chance to block spells, and we get some decent spell damage.

---

Comparison Conclusion:
We're talking about at most 6-9% difference of spell block and 4% difference of max res, these shields do not make or break the build fighting reflect mobs. In my opinion, with the additional chance to block regular attacks AND the amazing life you get from the globe, the better choice is clear.

NOTE: The differences between spell block obviously will differ whether you are running Tempest Shield or not. With Tempest Shield running, the spell block difference goes up to 9-12%. This is with my current build, not the final build. Picking up more block nodes would make that difference greater.

When I'm running around meeps and a rogue GMP hits a pack of mobs while I'm running Herald of Ice, the damage is barely noticeable. You'd literally have to walk up to a pack of reflect mobs and GMP them all within crit range and you'd drop to maybe 50% HP. It's easy to spot reflect mobs now, just pop your sapphire flask before engaging.

EDIT: One more thing, I don't run PCoC on single target because I figure I'm going into a fight with max charges to begin with I can throw a GMP or two here and there to keep the charges refreshed. This allows me to do Faster Casting, Spell Echo and Cold Pen on single target and 5link my aoe for faster clear speed.
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 31, 2015, 10:57:02 AM
BTW I sold the Void battery and I'm back to using that scepter. It's a difference of only 700dps to my single target tool tip at full charges.
Last edited by sibbleTV on Feb 1, 2015, 7:08:10 AM
Thank you sibbleTV for taking my build and expanding upon it to make it even stronger, and also for helping answer questions in this thread. After reading your thoughts on rathpith and herald of ice you have convinced me that they can indeed be viable alternatives, i'll update the guide accordingly. Keep up the good work.
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8
i have a question, i am lvl 40 on this build right now, and where do u get all this needed dexterity for the gems? or do u just dont lvl them? thx
"
krustache wrote:
i have a question, i am lvl 40 on this build right now, and where do u get all this needed dexterity for the gems? or do u just dont lvl them? thx

You don't get very much dex in the tree so you want to pick up an amulet which can roll up to around 60, a belt which can get 40, and gloves which can also get 40. A large amount of dex is not required, if you just can't manage to fit it in on your gear you can wait to level up your gems until you get some better gear
I am going to try this build when I have some time, I have a Cloak of Defiance in my stash, would it work with this build? Maybe I need to drop an aura to get enough unreserved mana to use it, would it be worth it anyway?
"
fieleon wrote:
I have a Cloak of Defiance in my stash, would it work with this build?

Yes, as long as you get enough mana regen to keep up arctic armour with MoM cloak is great.
I'm doing a slightly modified version of this build as a shadow. Currently at lvl 63 and doing quite well. Single target and AoE are very decent and I'm looking at a big weapon upgrade at lvl 68 (i've been using lifesprig since lvl 1). Some time even later I want to get a good wand or sceptre and craft life leech on cold damage onto it and then take vaal pact. I reckon that should handle any reflect problems that might come up.

Current Gear

Weapon upgrade:

Last edited by demon_cleaner on Feb 26, 2015, 7:34:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info