[2.0 updated] Shmizz's hardcore perma-freeze guide

LVL 72 Single target keeps bosses frozen and does decent DPS. AoE is also decent, clear speed could be a little faster. Everything stays frozen, as promised :)

Gear
Spoiler

Build
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QL-s1crvYJtGS2LCPQfx8BUK3hqQ7zqLJwFQhEtEFhBlnyDr5uus9D1zfpMs7iTUDAEB-vu216D2yj6muARD1XGgsdFnUwtOlj56FNSF1QUsEGHnwGOPIIetz7R5FZKiELbC_4KjYKeocHF8kXYvVPUIoHsGDrhNZKP-nC7N4GmV_6P8NXZE-TrTeNJUZUuL28HHhGWDkhd8mNDQsNw1d-EidMC_nBSjDZzswdjVUvwa8u9YeImlRa_
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 13, 2015, 7:37:01 PM
So I just became a little upset seeing that I do not need Discipline, at all. =( there goes my sweet as bubble...

If I dropped EB I probably would not be able to support the build, but I'm 1769/3262 mana before Discipline with, and I'm running a lvl 18 arctic armor.

My question is, what can I do to be better?

PS: I'm running 4 auras with that mana pool (and one is herald of ice)

WITH DISC: 560/4181 mana, 221 mana regen per second
WITHOUT DISC: 1769/3262 mana, 185 mana regen per second

Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 15, 2015, 8:27:19 AM
"
sibbleTV wrote:

My question is, what can I do to be better?

If you mean do more damage, the best way to scale it is through gear with more cast speed and crit multi.
If you mean defensively you seem to have all the life nodes you need, I would work on getting pierce so you freeze the whole screen guaranteed instead of depending on your gem to roll well.
If you mean better in general just try to pay attention to your positioning, the difference between freezing the entire screen and only freezing half of it is all about where you are standing relative to the mobs. Being further away makes your cone effectively wider, lining enemies up inside your cone makes things much easier.
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8
Hello,

I'm trying your build in torment. I understand that survivability is the most important thing in HC, but to me dying means only loosing some xp, so some feed back would be nice :

- I'd like to run Assassin's Mark to generate power charges instead of PCoC to gain a slot.

- At higher level, running a second curse seems an option too, if I can sustain AA without discipline (or cast it, but I'm too lazy for that). Would cost 5 points for frostbite (?) and trade 20 strengh for 20 int.
Just realized what quality does to Ice Spear (increase projectile speed) good for quality of life I was hoping for faster projectiles I'm running just 10% and it's a huge difference.
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 16, 2015, 11:40:26 AM
"
Allexiel67 wrote:
Hello,

- I'd like to run Assassin's Mark to generate power charges instead of PCoC to gain a slot.

- At higher level, running a second curse seems an option too, if I can sustain AA without discipline (or cast it, but I'm too lazy for that). Would cost 5 points for frostbite (?) and trade 20 strengh for 20 int.

running assassin's mark is a good choice, i just find it tedious to curse every pack manually or you lose all your momentum. If you don't mind self casting you can definitely keep your charges up with ass mark.
I would run ele weakness over frostbite, they give the same reduction to enemy resists but ele weakness also affects your herald of thunder. The extra freeze chance does literally nothing if you are standing far enough back to get the second form of ice spear especially with assassin's mark, you'll be hitting crit cap easily.
as for points, if you're in a group 5 points for dual curse is definitely worth it, solo it depends. If you don't mind the extra second or so of setup time on each pack it will increase your damage significantly.
trading strength for int is always good where possible in this spec, you have like 200-300 int at end game and you have some difficulty meeting the strength requirement for reduced mana unless you get a bunch on your gear
How to make currency in Path of Exile, a comprehensive guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Ig9_8XjC8
Experimenting around with a Ice Spear Witch, I find piercing to be very useful, despite the fact that most people would disagree. It enhances greatly the clear speed, which is usualy kinda subpar for Ice Spear builds.
LVL81 RIP...

Was my own fault though, got WAY over confident with the survivability of this build... having everything perma frozen makes you feel like a god.

Did a 8 modded rip map and a pack of otherworldly devours pop'd up underneath me and I got 1 shot. I kinda feel like any build would rip in that circumstance. BTW this map had +30% monster speed/attack etc. So when they pop'd up it was pretty instant. You can see in the weapon below I had a lvl 20 reduced duration 20% quality + 10q Lightning warp lvl18 + 7q faster casting lvl18, so I woulda been outa there instantly had I had time to react.

I had just bought like the best wand in the league for this build too...

That's 106% Cold Spell Damage + the cast speed =(
I was doing 73's and 74's at level 80 packs were being insta-gibbed. Freezing wasn't even necessary, they just died. I got pretty upset, this has been my favorite build I've ever played... I'm making another :)

Because of this, I feel like some damage nodes could be dropped where some OP gear could pick up that slack. Overall I was really happy with the build, the only thing I thought that could have improved is the defenses. Playing a build with a shield I'd like to feel more tanky than I was. I messed with the tree a bit gona see how it goes and i'll post my changes later.

http://poeurl.com/zb6yejw
and use a Rathpith Globe

Here's what I've got so far.
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 20, 2015, 3:18:58 PM
Back up to LVL 77 Got some interesting links going...

Took off herald of thunder curse on hit, replaced with:
CWDT - Cold Snap - Curse on Hit - Enfeeble
Not sure if I'm going to keep this going or not, thought it would proc and do more damage.

Not running discipline, currently not running purity of ice although I will be.

Also running:
Herald of Ice + Prolif + Cold Pen (no reduced mana)

Total auras: Herald of Ice, Clarity, Tempest Shield, Arctic Armor

Clear speed is amazing.

EDIT: Nvm put back on herald of thunder, too OP with ice spear being up 100% of the time
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 25, 2015, 7:27:39 AM
--------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
LVL86

BUILD:
http://poeurl.com/zc1wKZJ

GEAR:

AURAS:
Purity of ice, Tempest Shield, Clarity, Herald of Thunder, Herald of Ice, Arctic Armor

STATS:
HP: 4,810
MANA: 3,016 (210 after auras)
MANA REGEN: 271.2
BLOCK: 29%
SPELL BLOCK: 17%

(ask if you want any more stats)

--------------------------------------------------

I had picked up Deflection somewhere in the 70s and switched back cause I didn't feel like it was doing much. Sanctuary will be the last node I get.

Reflection is starting to become more of a problem as my damage is increasing. My single target tooltip is up to 12.8k with full charges, I could probably drop some of the damage nodes and put them in shield nodes now comfortably without sacrificing too much of my clear speed.

Void Battery :) Mjolner dropped from dom the other day and I did a 1:1 trade. Using this weapon now, actually doesn't do much more DPS than my scepter did (incredibly) I am thinking about changing the tree and grabbing that extra power charge near Ancestral Bond. This would probably force me to pick up Sanctuary as I'd be right there to grab it, as well as Devotion...

Speaking of self buffs, you'll notice I picked up Inner Force. I tried this out on my 81 before I ripped and I wasn't able to run it because arctic armor was draining too much. I posted all my stats so you guys could see what I'm at because I'm now able to use Inner Force with no mana problems. Whether Inner Force is worth getting or not is something I'd like to discuss cause I really don't know. I wish passives would change the tooltips so I could see what's going on.

Let me know if I left anything out :)
Last edited by sibbleTV on Jan 30, 2015, 10:53:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info