Maloney's Nightfall - RIP

"
homer1402 wrote:
Hey man,

great quiver 2016 hcProh league. Started my main as a random ranger with interest.

Right now im short to 90 first char this league, a million close calls later.

Maloney's carring since 70ish, your quiver is a defensive and offensiv wonder (espically with the new flasks). Chaos resi is great, everthin is about this sucker...

Running some Puncture point blank chin/sol pathfinder and my goal right now would be capped chaos resi.

Anways keep up that attitude and the will to make something special !

with love from Germany!

GGG <3

Are you serious?

Wirklich jetzt? Das ist einer der schlechtesten Quiver aller Zeiten....
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Last edited by 666lol666 on Jul 21, 2016, 1:48:04 PM
RIP Maloney
Good read. I really love the art.
This was fascinating. When I read the title I thought it was another supporter shafted by GGG, and lamenting the item (i.e. most people say RIP Item when Item becomes useless).

Glad to see it was quite the opposite! RIP Maloney, and I agree that the result was a damn cool quiver.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
The only thing that especially separates this item from a rare is the 10% chance to create a smoke cloud.

Between the fact that 10% is very low chance (the biggest threat in this game is getting 1-shot, and even then it's frequently from things that aren't attacks), and that it's base is considered to be the worst base (a broadhead arrow quiver would have been nice, although I don't know if they existed at the time), and that all the rolls are significantly worse than good rares have, it all makes it terribly worse than even quite cheap rares.
Yes, there's the increased damage vs blinded enemies, but as a bow user, you're not going to run around drinking basalt flasks to point-blank them (something you couldn't even do when this quiver was made), and using the quiver to blind them is ineffective and suicidal. Lastly, even with a decent way to blind (maybe blind support gem or something), the damage bonus isn't great enough compared to a rare with better added physical damage and/or better attack speed and/or weapon elemental damage (even if it's intend wasn't to be to deal elemental damage, it doesn't change the fact that most bow attack builds will benefit from elemental damage). I can't remember when GGG messed with chaos resists, but I think it was before this item. Back when chaos resist was only obtainable from uniques it'd have been nice, but with 28-25% quite easily obtainable on a rare, this item's is nothing in comparison.

Maybe it could be abused with Scold's Bridle or something (again, an item only created after the fact, and which gains most of it's power for builds that don't use bows — VMS), but I still would say that it's not worth it. So many sources of damage are ranged or not attacks so it wouldn't even help for many things.

I am not a fan of this unique's stats not just because it's weak, but because it's unique aspects aren't prominent enough. "chance to create a smoke cloud" is a very unique attribute (increased damage versus blinded enemies is not as much), but with it's value so low, it makes it not prominent to be used for it's uniqueness, and instead has to rely on mediocre other stats just to push it into a "barely considerable" option for even poor players.

It's at least great that you got your memorial item, and the quiver definitely does look cool. Probably one of the cooler quivers in the game. Only one I might like better in appearance is Soul Strike. Visually it doesn't necessarily match it's effects, but then again that isn't necessary.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Jul 24, 2016, 5:30:20 AM
Just fyi, your item was buffed in the latest patch. Just thought you'd like to know, in case you missed it. Thanks for adding to the game and RIP Maloney. :)
I do wish to address a number of misleading claims in this post though:

"
Xapti wrote:
that it's base is considered to be the worst base

The base was intentional for 2 reasons: Stunning fits the theme of surprising your enemy from the shadows, but also it encourages Vaal Orb use.

"
Xapti wrote:
all the rolls are significantly worse than good rares have...

I disagree. IAS (8-10%) is better than the best rolled affix (of Ease) and in the middle of BiS Tora craft (7-12%). Phys Damage to attacks is better than T1 (Honed). Sure Maximum Life is T4-T5 and Chaos Resistance is low tier, but they're more nice additional mods.

"
Xapti wrote:
... the biggest threat in this game is getting 1-shot

"
Xapti wrote:
... and using the quiver to blind them is ineffective and suicidal.

It was designed pre-power creep. The smoke cloud wasn't intended as a main source of applying the blind, but rather as an additional mechanic to apply it. Blind was chosen to allow synergy with other future mechanics for applying blind.

"
Xapti wrote:
... the damage bonus isn't great enough compared to a rare with better added physical damage and/or better attack speed and/or weapon elemental damage (even if it's intend wasn't to be to deal elemental damage, it doesn't change the fact that most bow attack builds will benefit from elemental damage).

Umm nahhhhhh ;) As outlined above MN's attack speed and PD modifiers are even or slightly better than the best rare modifiers. The best WED modifier is Overpowering (37-42%) and that is limited to elemental damage... MN is increased Damage (Global), which is far more powerful: Phys, Elemental, Chaos, DoT, Golems, Traps, Totems and double dipping (AFAIK).

Just wish to reinforce the fact that this mod (whilst hard to apply) is a Global Damage mod, which are super powerful and not just for your 1 single Bow skill where you want to see a high tooltip DPS number.

"
Xapti wrote:
... So many sources of damage are ranged or not attacks so it wouldn't even help for many things.

There are LOTS of Ranged Attacks, something many players overlook and don't realise amongst the action. Smoke will PROC from these, not just melee attacks.

"
Xapti wrote:
It's at least great that you got your memorial item, and the quiver definitely does look cool.

Thanks man. :)

"
Xapti wrote:
Visually it doesn't necessarily match it's effects

I think I mentioned somewhere in the OP that ideally the smoke clouds would pour out of the mouth/nostrils of the skulls. I wanted a natural, earthy feel for the quiver... like the Ranger/Hunter made it from materials they found.

Thanks for your feedback Xapti. I'm not expecting you to rate MN, but a few claims were a bit incorrect. Also realise that MN is only intended as a levelling quiver (from mid game to early maps). If people find uses for it in end-game builds, great, but it wasn't designed to be BiS at all, just a cool looking, cool theme and viable option for parts of the game.

Happy hunting :)

Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Funny coincidence that I'm actually looking at MN as one of the better choices I could grab on my weird build idea (Doryani's Fist Rigwald's Curse, no block on tree), and then I see you've bumped this thread soon after :O

BTW, like Exile009 mentioned, your item was buffed in a recent patch :) the Attack Speed range is no longer variable, it's always 10% now.

Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Nice to see a post that isn't a QQ or hate post. So many of these on page 1 of the general discussion formum (sad).

Back in 2013 I'd of only wanted "No Desync Boots" so I could run at 70%+ increased boot speed (I had a build that had 73% move speed back then) so that I would not be rubber-banded back to my previous location every 10 seconds. Any zone/map that had leaper packs were the worst (Solaris Temple) such that I finally gave up and quit using that build from the sheer number of desync deaths. Thinking back on the whole bad experience it's a wonder I just didn't quit PoE entirely from the frustration. For today's PoE some one needs to design a "Flash Belt of No Latency" (23% increased move speed, 100% less lag, etc.). Lag isn't anywhere near as painful as desync was but it's really bad at peak hours (game server session overload).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Mar 24, 2017, 7:32:29 AM
"
Kaysee wrote:
[..]MN is increased Damage (Global), which is far more powerful: Phys, Elemental, Chaos, DoT, Golems, Traps, Totems and double dipping (AFAIK).

Considering the nature of your post, I strongly feel the need to get specific :P

Golems are Minions, and thus do not benefit from your modifiers.
Damage over Time (currently) cannot trigger conditional Damage modifiers; as such, the versus-Blinded damage modifier cannot apply to DoT and cannot double-dip.

---------
Since 2.6.0, Maloney's offers a chunk of damage only a little below the infamous Drillneck. That's pretty good. The condition is slightly tricksier of course, being versus-Blind rather than Pierce Chance, but it's easy to tag a boss with a Stibnite if you really want to.

In a practical sense, the biggest issue for me is that Drillneck is still better offensively, easier to use, and notably can be equipped nineteen levels sooner. :( At level 36, there is no competition for Drillneck, and if you already have a Drillneck...
But! That's more Drillneck being ridiculously over-statted for its level requirement than Maloney's having too high a requirement. (semi-related: poor Searing Touch)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info