Maloney's Nightfall - RIP

Kaysee, this was a great read. I always like to hear the process behind peoples uniques and admire the thought and heart that went into this one. I think it's a very underrated quiver and use one on my ranger.
I was fortunate to get one with good rolls (the additional arrow corrupt doesn't hurt either.) I also LOVE the art for it and can't wait until the 3d art makes it in game.
Guild Leader - LÉGÄCY

POE is happy good luck fun time for great imperialistic leaders!
This was my favorite quiver the moment I saw it. The colors are beautiful and the double quiver design is awesome. I was sad there wasn't much use or limelight for it, but with the upcoming Ascendancy mini-expansion you can get up to 20% chance on hit to make a smoke cloud and make better use of this quiver! I am so excited to use it! ! Great job!
Thanks for that write up and comparison, it all made perfect sense. It seems your unique may take a boost, to bad it wasn't smoke cloud ON hit on the unique as well since 10% is such a decline from the 50 first proposed.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Great write up. It will be fun to see if Maloney's gets its day in the sun. Blind is so powerful. I bet as some DPS gets people to take that first bite out of the apple, more people will realize it.

Generally, I think the unique quivers are some of the best designed unqiues in this game.

I agree with Peachii though, the nerf to the on-blind effect when hit (or rather balance consideration) seems a bit big.

I think a 5% chance to create smoke cloud on hit would be adequate to make this unique really powerful.
(value should be quite low so that it can scale based on build)

Overall i have always loved both the design and looks of this unique. So cheers for that Kaysee.
(astetic is not a word? Anybody know the english for what i am trying to say, "looks" is just dull,
flavor perhaps?)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
aesthetic
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

"
peachii wrote:
aesthetic

Bless you :)

Aesthetically it's a very pleasing item.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
peachii wrote:
Thanks for that write up and comparison, it all made perfect sense. It seems your unique may take a boost, to bad it wasn't smoke cloud ON hit on the unique as well since 10% is such a decline from the 50 first proposed.

Thanks. That is why I am excited by the new Saboteur Ascendancy Class... with Blinding Assault and Born in the Shadows:

- matches the theme of MN.

- "10% chance to Blind on Hit" is very nice indeed... with fast attack speeds you can regularly blind mobs. You can test this now with LA + LMP + Blind as Blind support gives the same 10%... so use that as a guide for how often it will proc.

- "30% increase Damage to Blinded enemies" is again great... meaning 70% is possible with MN for global damage increase. Sure, not the 100% increased damage from Drillneck, but you won't need extra passives and support gems to get that boost for non-piercing bow skills.

- other goodies of damage reduction, duration and blind immunity are nice additions.

"
Boem wrote:
I agree with Peachii though, the nerf to the on-blind effect when hit (or rather balance consideration) seems a bit big.

I think a 5% chance to create smoke cloud on hit would be adequate to make this unique really powerful.
(value should be quite low so that it can scale based on build)

The smoke cloud when hit, is simply an added layer of RNG defence. Apparently during testing it was "up all the time" when it was set to 50% chance. I think the 10% from MN combined with 10% from Blinding Assault will see it at a nice sweet spot for that RNG defence.

Peace mate. :)

"
Barivius wrote:
Great write up. It will be fun to see if Maloney's gets its day in the sun. Blind is so powerful. I bet as some DPS gets people to take that first bite out of the apple, more people will realize it.

Generally, I think the unique quivers are some of the best designed unqiues in this game.

Cheers. I'm not fussed if it is popular or not. What I REALLY LOVE though about POE is that (for better or worse) the game is constantly evolving. That mechanics, builds, skills and items can rise and fall keeping things fresher. That a junk item from Open Beta can become Godly in the future... also means I'm scared to throw out anything in my stash too. LOL.

Yeah, there are some really nice quivers there. Craghead and stun is one of my favourites, such an under-appreciated form of CC.

BTW... if anyone is making a unique quiver (or knows someone who is), I have a good idea for the unique artwork.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
The Ascendancy class pointed will not save this Quiver, if anything it will only make it more obsolete then it already is. The max roll of 40% increased damage is largely irrelevant because you need to apply blind first and by the time that happens the monster is likely already dead (or you are). Drillneck is good because it increases clear speeds and adds its damage to PA, which is hard to scale from items. Rearguard gives you Block and Spellblock - unconditionally Maloney's Nightfall does absolutely nothing but give you 70 life, some atk speed and a very mediocre chaos resist roll.

The problem is that range classes clear Trash mobs so fast that the defense from smoke cloud is completely unnecessary. And if you do actually get mobbed up by minions on average you need to take 10 hits before it triggers. With current damage if you take 10 hits you are already dead. The same applies to bosses.

I recommend that you try and talk to GGG to make some improvements to your unique. Atm you can buy better rare items for 1c. If I spent as much money as you have on this game i'd be pretty pissed if my item design was vendor trash like yours is :)
Last edited by azmodael on Dec 9, 2015, 12:28:54 PM
Jerky much, Az?

Thanks for the write-up, Kaysee. I quite enjoyed the story, and after discovering how ridiculous Blind can be with a Lightning Tendrils run-through I'm always willing to see more of it in-game.

Now if only this didn't clash with the new Kongming's Stratagem...that would have been fun...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info