[HC, 1.2] CoC/Block Spectral Throw with Vagan's dagger - great DPS and survivability

INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone. Being a hardcore player, I've always wanted to do a viable endgame Cast on Crit build in HC. After several attempts with various specs which weren't particularly successful for my taste, I've stumbled upon a part of new Forsaken Masters content - Vagan's weapons! It turned out they are perfect for HC CoC needs, because they have the "Hit's can't be evaded" mod, effectively giving us 100% chance to hit.
Best weapon types for CoC are wands and daggers, since Vagan doesn't sell wands, we have to use a dagger. With Vagan's dagger we don't need to get any accuracy on the tree or gear. It frees up a lot of points and positively affects our gear choices.
What's the main issue for HC CoC builds? It's a reflect, in my opinion. How to mitigate reflect? There are several ways, but the most superior way is getting spell block. Vagan's dagger allows us to spend a lot of points on block nodes so we can have capped spell block (75%) without big dps sacrifice. This way we will only take 25% of reflect damage on average. Block is very useful in general content clearing as well.

PROS AND CONS
Pros:
+ extremely fun and satisfying to play
+ excellent clear speed, excellent dps - both AoE and single target
+ very safe build: big hp pool, 60/75 block, lots of life leech, physical mitigation
+ reflect is not an issue at all
+ budget version is quite cheap, general build isn't super expensive either
+ can do most map mods, especially in SC leagues
+ you freeze and shock everything except some high lvl map bosses
+ excels solo, but can carry parties
+ Atziri viable with some tweaks (should be Uber Atziri viable in SC)
+ flexible with spell choices

Cons:
- can lag in a party or with an old pc. not as laggy as most CoC builds though
- need high level character (85+) and high level/quality gems for the build to truly shine
- coloring can be tough, lots of offcolors everywhere
- need several specific uniques to work. finding a Vagan's dagger can be quite hard early in the league too
- problems with Corrupting Blood monsters, you get 20 stacks almost instantly
- some issues with truly isolated monsters like Shrine Piety. more about that below
- you need a legacy unique Berek's Grip for the full build potential in HC. it can still be dropped with Zana's map mod though
- people might find it boring to party with you, they often don't get to kill anything

VIDEOS

PASSIVE SKILL TREE

MY GEAR:
Spoiler

Why is Vagan's dagger so strong?
Spoiler

People often underestimate the importance of high accuracy for a crit build. Accuracy gets checked twice if you roll a crit, if any of those checks fail, you won't get a crit. Source.

But what does it mean in practice? Let's take a look at a quick example, comparing two daggers.
1. We have typical 85% chance to hit, 80% crit, level 20 CoC gem. Our chance to proc a spell is calculated like this: chance to hit^2 * crit chance * CoC chance. So: 0.85*0.85*0.8*0.68=0.39304. Our real chance to cast a spell on the attack is 39.304%.
2. We have Vagan's dagger - 100% chance to hit. Our real chance to cast a spell: 1*1*0.8*0.68=0.544. 54.4% chance.
This means with Vagan's dagger we would have 38.4% MORE procs overall, our effectiveness is that much higher.

More info on topic can be found here.

Offensive stats
Spoiler

About dps
Spoiler

DPS is quite insane. The more monsters you hit, the higher amount of procs you get. This means both great aoe dps/clear speed and ridiculous single target damage, if this single target is surrounded by at least a couple of mobs. Map bosses get destroyed in a second or two usually. Autocursing with two curses using Herald of Thunder means we: 1) don't spend time to curse, improving our clear speed by a lot, 2) don't use PCoC in the main link because there is no need - we can reliably sustain power charges with Assassin's Mark. Check the video above to get the idea of dps.
Theoretical maximum DPS math for ST

I'm not going to show all calculations for simplicity's sake, I might if it's requested though.
Tooltip damage with power charges: ice spear 2120.9, arc 2234.2, fireball 2109.8.
Assasin's Mark 21/20 and Curse on Hit 19/20 included: ice spear 3103.74, arc 3265.7, fireball 3085.92.
CoC cooldown is 0.01s, with high enough amount of monsters we can achieve 100 procs per second maximum. And yes, it is possible with our high crit chance, attack speed, GMP, and the fact that ST hits twice.
DPS formula for single target: number of procs per second * total dmg output of spells, gmp included * shock multiplier * elemental weakness multiplier for 0% res mob.
100*(3103.74*5+3265.7+3085.92*5)*1.5*1.55=7954755
Almost 8 million theoretical DPS.
If we use another spell combo, fireball + arctic breath + concentrated effect, we will get theoretical dps of 11.8 million dps. Why I'm not using this combo then? More about that below.

Defensive stats
Spoiler

About hardcore viability, elemental reflect and what this spec is afraid of
Spoiler

Despite crazy damage output, this build has enough tankiness to survive the most difficult encounters. We are using Lightning Coil, Rathpith, Stone of Lazhwar, Rainbowstride and Berek's Grip, all mostly defensive uniques. Our HP pool is pretty high too, 5.3k hp/es total with 187% hp on the tree. The build was meant to be HC viable from the beginning and it definitely is.

Elemental reflect does absolutely nothing, because we have 75% spell block and life leech against frozen enemies on Berek's Grip, and we freeze most monsters. We're also using 2 Surgeon's flasks (Topaz and Ruby) and Atziri's Promise flask for additional reflect mitigation. Don't forget about Vaal Pact, we have it too. See "videos" section for elereflect encounter.

That doesn't mean we're totally unkillable though. Be very aware of:
• invulnerable totems or monsters with this aura, it might cause a huge lag if you have an old pc (like I do), and if there's elemental reflect nearby, you might not be able to use your flasks properly
• one-shot mechanics like slam of Palace Dominus or Maze Vaal
• Corrupting Blood and Volatile monsters. you might not react fast enough and CB will kill you with insta-20 stacks, having Staunching flask is mandatory. Volatile with extra damage mods on hard-hitting mobs is pretty scary too. see the examples how to handle those in "videos" section
• really hard-hitting mobs like big skeletons or giant vaal fallens. if your immortall call isn't up for some reason and you're unlucky with blocks, you might get killed in several swings.
• double reflect isn't pretty. i would not recommend doing elereflect maps in general, but if you do so, be really cautious with monster auras.

Gem links
Spoiler

Main skill - GGGBBB
Spectral Throw + Greater Multiple Projectiles + Cast on Critical Strike + Ice Spear (4L)
+ Arc (5L)
+ Fireball (6L)
Why these skills? Will tell in the other part of the guide.

Auras/buffs - RBBG
Reduced Mana + Purity of Elements + Tempest Shield + Herald of Ice

Autocursing setup with 2 curses - BBBB
Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Elemental Weakness + Assassin's Mark

Movement skill - GGB
Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Power Charge on Critical

CWDT setup - RRRR
Cast when Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased duration

And then we have one 3-link for using anything we want. My gear has a bit different links (2 CWDT setups), because I had to work with colors I got and because it's really hard to get RRRR colors for Maligaro's Virtuosity.
Optional skills
movement: Lightning Warp (+ Faster Casting/Reduced Duration)
utility: Vaal Haste/Grace/Discipline (+ Increased duration)
whatever else, you can use Portal + Faster Casting + lvl 4 Enhance if you want

Bandits
Spoiler

• Normal - help Oak and get hp
• Cruel - skillpoint
• Merciless - help Alira and get power charge

Leveling
Spoiler

You can level whatever way you want, but I personally recommend choosing some elemental spell, Flameblast / Arc / Lightning Tendrils are all good.
Don't try to use CoC setup before lvl 60-70 or if you don't have Vagan's dagger.
Priorities on the tree: hp%, generic crit nodes, block nodes, +30 stat nodes if you lack them. The order of taking nodes depends on two things: what type of league you're playing (HC or SC, you can get more damage earlier in SC) and how comfortable you are with your current hp pool (heavily depends on available leveling gear). Priorities on gear: hp and resists.
(HC note: if you're using flameblast, start being careful around a1 cruel, when elemental reflect first appears. You also want to be fire res capped and/or carry a ruby flask.)

This is how your tree might look like:
Before respec for CoC setup (lvl 67)
After respec (lvl 67)
Lvl 80
Lvl 92 (my current tree)

Budget version
Spoiler

Disclaimer: this section as some others is WIP, so it might not have every bit of info you might want. Ask questions in the thread.

Gems and quality gems
This build doesn't have any mandatory quality gems, like Incinerate or Freezing Pulse builds. However, GMP might cost you a couple of chaos, CWDT is a quest reward though. Other gems aren't worth mentioning and could be bought for alch each, if you are not getting them as rewards. With that said, it's pretty important to level your main gems on swap, talking about Arc, Ice Spear, Fireball and Cast on Crit here.

Weapon
You are obviously going to need a Vagan's dagger. There are no alternatives. You might get lucky and buy a blue/rare base for real cheap, but multicraft Elreon mod costs 2 exalted as of now, so ready to be used dagger can't cost less than that. Poignard and royal skean are best bases, but that doesn't mean you can't use other ones.

Shield
Rathpith Globe is pretty much mandatory if you want to be safe against reflect. Price varies in different leagues, use poe.trade for reference. Should be about 15 chaos-2 ex range.

Chest
This is where we can save a lot of currency. Two words, Tabula Rasa. Links are extremely important for this build and getting Tabula Rasa is a wonderful choice, especially if you're playing SC leagues. To be honest, I would prefer Tabula over a 5L chest with hp even in HC. So, ranking order: 6L coil > 5L coil > Tabula Rasa > random 5L chest (preferably evasion/ES or eva base for colors). Tabula should be 1 ex or less, random 5L chest - a couple of chaos. Don't go lower than 5L.

Helm
Rat's Nest can be bought for cheap (5-10 chaos if you're lucky), but it's not necessary, you can just use generic life+res helm for 2 chaos, especially if you're playing HC.

Gloves
Maligaro's Virtuosity is pretty much BiS here, but generally you make a choice between them or Rat's Nest. I believe Rat's Nest to be better than Maligaro's at lower lvl and cheaper gear setup and vice versa at high level. I also think Maligaro's cost a bit more than Rat's Nest, so I would just use rare gloves with hp+res here, attack speed is good too if you can get it. 2-5 chaos.

Boots
Rainbowstride allows you to cap your spell block. You can buy some typical hp+movement speed(+res) boots, knowing that you wouldn't be spell block capped (but pretty close to it). You would probably want pure ES base for easy BBBB which you need for single/double autocurse. 2-5 chaos.

Amulet
Stone of Lazhwar. It's mandatory just like Rathpith, but it costs a lot less. Several chaos in SC, a bit more in HC I guess.

Rings
Doedre's Damning is a great choice if you can get it for cheap (it's a lot harder now that they nerfed its drop rate). Otherwise just use a single curse (Assassin's Mark) and rare rings with hp+res, preferably diamond base. 2 chaos each. Hard to tell Doedre's price, standard prices are a bit misleading I think, but in the last HC temp league they were about 15-18 chaos usually.
If you're playing HC and you don't have Berek's Grip yet, you should still be careful with elemental reflect even with 75% spell block. Or just use Life Leech as a 6th link in your Tabula.

Belt
Leather belt with hp+res(+str). 2-5 chaos.

Summary: you can get everything for as low as 3-4 exalted, most likely it's going to cost more, up to 7-10 exalted. Which is still not a lot for a functional crit build.

Map mods to avoid
Spoiler

The build can do most map mods. Half regen and no regen are easy if you have Berek's Grip. Elemental reflect is doable, but too annoying to do. With my current spec I can't really do:
• Elemental weakness maps. I'm not capped there. Can use rare gloves with a lof of resists instead of Maligaros, but I never bother doing so.
• Blood magic maps. I'm not capped there either, because I have to use Purity of Elements.
• -res maps. It's just something almost no one in HC really does. At least consistently. I think it's simply not worth the risk.
Otherwise any reasonable amount of dangerous mods is doable, with current map system it's just not very worth it to do them usually.

About legacy items
Spoiler

I am using legacy Maligaro's Virtuosity and legacy unique Berek's Grip (it can still be dropped with Zana's map mod though). Do I really need them? The answer is no. You can still use usual Maligaro's or defensive rare gloves if you want, it's not that big of a deal. No Berek's means you have to be more aware of reflect packs - 75% spell block doesn't mean full reflect immunity, you are still killable with bad enough circumstances OR you can just use Life Leech in your link (really want 6L for that though), if you're playing HC. This is THE safest (and most boring) choice you could possibly do.

Credits
Spoiler

Real huge thanks to my friends horse_with_3_mountains, zamppe and hrodgar09 for making this character and guide possible.
Also to /u/andimjustsittinghere at reddit for assuring me i'm going in the right direction.
IGN: somewittynamehere
Last edited by 5tr1k3r on Dec 14, 2014, 11:28:30 AM
Nice cockblock build.
HC: fastpst / pstfast
Invasion: pstblast
Ambush: pstflick
too bad this is gettin nerfed hard defensively
POE 2 hype.
Build of the week IMO.
You can probly get around same dps as you have now with the new tree.. mabye 10-15% less damage.. but you will not be as tanky as you were in 1.2 of course... :(
"
morc1us wrote:
Build of the week IMO.

Thanks a lot, man.
"
lillbysen wrote:
You can probly get around same dps as you have now with the new tree.. mabye 10-15% less damage.. but you will not be as tanky as you were in 1.2 of course... :(

There still might be some hope for the build, especially if they don't do anything with Rumi's Concoction. Damage wise it will actually be a bit better than now imo, because there will be no incentive to go for block nodes at all. We will see.
.. ^^

For the 1.3 update you could think of ditching block to get acrobatics/phase acrobatics + atziri's step + Saffs. Should give you enough mitigation against spells (Higher maxres is the best + laz/Saffs add up nicely without spending any talent points into block anyways). Vs attacks some eva + coil + maybe enduring charges/ic should be enough.
Last edited by morphl on Dec 7, 2014, 6:31:36 PM
ugh so awful.. ::vomit::
I'm not familiar with the spec at all, but I enjoyed watching your video showcasing the build and the thread is well written. Thank you for putting this together.

Assuming you have no trouble with reflect, this seems like a really solid spec for a relatively modest investment in terms of gear.
My HC Race & PVP Rewards collection at /3140751. Please help me locate the few missing ones!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info