UI Flickering

Nice catch Mike, I can't read DXDiag for shit.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Mouse issue is solved. seems my gf had activated the mouse-trails and instead of switching it off again, just made the lever small, so that you dont actually see a mouse-trail o.O.

somehow switching it off solved the mouse in fullscreenmode-issue. However, i cant use my second screen freely then. even if i turn off the setting "Confine Mouse To Window", it wont let me move the mouse outside the game.

So im playing in windowed Fullscreen again (Since i usually have excel, skilltree, forum and gamepedia open on second screen.

Back to the flickering:
I installed a GPU-Tool, but I don't think it has anything to do with it. If it would be a temperature-issue, restarting POE wouldnt have a 100% effect on solving the issue. Also the GPU-Heavyduty (and lets be honest, POE isnt a graphic-heavy game) is the graphics while playing, not the UI or Passive-tree where the error shows effect. And the Monsters etc are fine and absolutely don't flicker! I don't see any FPS dropping either. FPS are around 58-67 always, regardless of the error occuring or not, with every setting on max.

Newest ccc is installed now, dx will follow after restart, so lets play the waitinggame until it occures again :)
Sweet, glad we managed to half fix one issue.

You're right about it not being a graphics heavy game... but it's also not the most efficient game either :)

If you ever get a monitoring tool installed, check the difference in temp spikes between turning shadows on and off (especially in places where rain also appears). Its a bit of a giggle.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Dec 11, 2014, 4:46:16 PM
Small thing here: DirextX cant be reinstalled that easy under win8 anymore (win7 as well i think). In Windows8.1 DirectX 11.2 is integrated, and cannot be uninstalled. even downloading installerfiles for DirectX 11.x wont allow you to replace the running version.

I checked my system with SFC /SCANNOW to see if i have corrupted files, but it returned that everything is ok.

If you know an official way from microsoft to reinstall DirextX, please show me, but i dont think there is one. (Win Update shows nothing to be installed of corse).
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Last time I did this I used the DirectX Web Installer - find it HERE

If that doesn't work, there is a workaround - I can't remember it off the top of my head, so I will leave that to Mike, Drakier or one of the other blokes that hangs out here (they are a lot smarter than I am).

I found that link myself, but it says i dont need to install it, since i have this or a newer version. and i cant uninstall DirectX before running this, since its integrated in windows and not a single program anymore.

Just regarding temperature:

Temp while on desktop: 40°C
Temp in my Hideout with Shadows (Unearthed = Rain): 46°C
Temp in my Hideout without Shadows (Unearthed = Rain): same 46°C

So i dont see the mentioned giggle ;)
You bloody desktop PC users and your superior air-flow, thinking you're all awesome and stuff :)

Umm, the only other suggestion I could possibly make would be DirectX Happy Uninstall - it's a program that has a bunch of options for managing DirectX installs. I'm pretty sure it's compatible with Windows 8.1 now.

But, I am loathe to recommend anything until someone else pops in with more intelligent suggestions.

I'll sign off here, because I don't think I'm being very helpful any more sorry :(

I found this: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-uninstall-directx-and-reinstall-to-repair-directx/

It might be useful.

DISCLAIMER: MYSELF NOR GGG RECOMMEND EDITING THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Does it not have a "Repair" function when you try to uninstall it from the control panel?
No longer works at GGG
DirectX is not listed under programs and features, neither in the program-list, nor the windows-feature aktivate/deaktivate section in win8.1. So there is no repair as well.

Changing the versionnumber in the registry doesnt work either, not even with reboot. the installer seems to recognize the files itself.

And as stated above, the integritycheck said it has no errors (SFC /SCANNOW), wich is the microsoft-tool to check systemfiles.

edith: spelling
Last edited by Blødgrim on Dec 11, 2014, 6:48:53 PM
It sounds like the game is forgetting to disable depth buffer testing before rendering the UI.

PoE does make thousands of redundant pipeline state changes/ignores many DX errors [per frame] which --when combined with a buggy driver implementation-- may be the cause (If this is the case, then you can only wait for the developers to solve it)

The only relevant components of DX that should be updated are those which are from your video card vendor -- the rest of DX is just API fodder of which would be obvious if there were a problem.

EDIT: If you must re-install DX, then follow the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/ as the above tool that was posted will just install, not only an old version, but configuration information that looks like it's likely from the author's computer.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Dec 11, 2014, 9:12:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info