What do YOU feel about fork?

"
sidtherat wrote:

potential is there, sadly in current 'one click full screen aoe' fork has no place as it hits at most 3 targets. 3 targets in current meta is as good as 0 targets.

This. And that's why Fork is usable only for Spark. Actually, GGG can easily remove Fork and add Fork effect into spark... No one will care about Fork gone, really.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
sidtherat wrote:

i like Fork with Spark. it does everything i want it to do on this char. only other comparable support in this setup is faster projectiles (mainly due to 10% cast speed + lvl30 echo)

what makes it less useful for other 'more controllable' projectiles? set, uncontrollable angle.

just make it 'aim' at nearest two mobs 'around' their current angles (like 2 nearest mobs: one to the left, other to the right of initial projectile 'vector'). this small change should have made it a very very nice support for its price.

other solution: initial hit does full damage, secondary hits deal 50% damage (for total of 200% damage if all 3 connect)

potential is there, sadly in current 'one click full screen aoe' fork has no place as it hits at most 3 targets. 3 targets in current meta is as good as 0 targets.

I do know very well it works good with spark, but that's it. Nothing else is worth using it with, which is the point. Either as someone said, make it an inbuilt mechanic to fork(without the less dmg modifier?, or atleast decreased), since there's no point with it besides that
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
Disrupted wrote:
AFAIK only Spark bounces off walls. I wouldnt use it with a spell that wouldnt, and often I'd prefer pierce for bows. The forked copies usually miss and hit a wall over nothing.

Hmm, actually, now that I think about it, I could use it for my CoC Cyclone guy as 6th link. (if every piece from the gmp can spork into 2 pieces it is very worth it since they will spork and shotgun immediatly)

Actually nvm, tested it, and the projectiles cant shotgun the original target so they just fly off, lmp still better single target.
However it is pretty good for big monster groups

EDIT: Ah, should mention it makes cyclone version much less computer and party friendly since I actually see the projectiles this way though.

TLDR: Gieb more spells that bounce off walls plox
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Nov 18, 2014, 4:57:34 PM
LMP/GMP add projectiles while Fork multiplies projectiles, so Fork can probably work well for spells that create multiple projectiles naturally. Spark is just the only spell like that so far.
Last edited by PolarisOrbit on Nov 18, 2014, 6:34:54 PM
I think fork is fine as a low cost support. If you start messing with the damage or making it aim you'll need to raise the cost. Just because it has limited use now doesn't mean it can't later. I actually used it a fair amount on fireball in invasion league, it is good vs bosses that spawn lots of additional monsters.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Fork also teams very well with Vaal Fireball.
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
LMP/GMP add projectiles while Fork multiplies projectiles, so Fork can probably work well for spells that create multiple projectiles naturally. Spark is just the only spell like that so far.

Problem is, it is the only spell that can gives any chance for those projectiles to actually hit anything.

Spark projectile's turn randomly. Other skills cannot. The angle at which fork creates new projectiles is actually what brakes it for anything than spark, because of the inability for those projectiles to turn.

Why? Well, for fork to work well, mobs should be block or wall, best option being two lines of enemies, so all projectiles can hit. Naturally, most (if not all) mobs are a circle, or something similar. If a projectile hits the first enemy of a "circle mob", it has really low chance for any of the forked projectiles to connect. Other projectiles hitting the edge, might connect only one forked projectile.

The sheer number of projectiles, and math behind multiplier is all good, but in practice most projectiles, which fly straight ahead, will just hit the walls. Compared to the rest of the supports and their ability to connect:
- Chain, if it hits anything, it will hit the next target, because it will aim,
- Pierce, aim at the closest enemy of "the circle", pierce tho all "the circle".

To add salt to the wounds of Fork, Pierce got its nice unique item. What can you possible get out of fork with unique item?

Think Fork needs some overhaul.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Grughal wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:
I don't think its meant to be a viable permanent option, I think it's meant to be a stepping stone while leveling a new char.

Why shouldn't a support gem be "end game -viable"?

Yes, I know Chance to Flee sucks too for example but it could use some changes as well...

flee + puncture is sweet :P

personaly i like fork on my wanderer, and its a viable option for mapping parties next to chain or just pierce.
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
I played a lot of characters without it, but just stored the gems and then I found a use for it.

Barrage/Frenzy and Fork work pretty good, especially boosted with the Heralds. I didn't link it to spells yet but rapid Bow/Wand attacks profit the most I guess. With Fork the attacks become cheap AoEs early (compaired to LMP/GMP) and though the cone is narrow close to the character and wider in a distance most mobs stand in the "right" position to get hit. It's also fun to use a barrage totem with fork, because totem+me attacking results in six "beams" (a dual totem character with soul mantle could get 9 beams) that cover a huge area.
It's good with naturally multiple projectiles skills like spark and EK. I used it very well with EK, the only reason I eventually dropped it was because I was too lazy to remove it on every boss fight.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info