What do YOU feel about fork?

I'd like to start this thread, that I'll quote alot of a week old reddit thread, which is the reason behind this thread too. Please keep this thread clean and no "Will post anything to get a postcount".

Link for reference http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2lydcl/suggestion_balance_change_for_fork/

Question: Fork currently applies a 30% less projectile damage mod. That mod hits the original and the new projectiles.

Would we see fork used more often if it did not apply that damage reduction on the original hit, but only on the forked projectiles?

"
Everyone is comparing Fork to Pierce, which is unfair, I think. Fork has the same damage modifier as LMP, which is a better comparison.

The problem is that there are almost no situations (possibly excluding Spark) where Fork is a better choice than LMP. LMP is:

More controllable.
Is much more effective with Pierce.
Is more effective with Chain.

I fully agree with this, it's more accurate to compare it to LMP rather than pierce, since you will get way more for the 1.4 mana-multiplier compared to the 1.15 fork has.
Fork is a nice mechanic, it will work nice with these multiprojectile spells, which sadly are just few, and rest isn't working well/not at all with it, or just nerfed like i.e Spark. It got a buff latest patch, not that it doesnt seem to be enough, but will underwhelming.

Another suggestions the same guy had which I really liked
"
Fork damage modifier reduced to 15% less. Fork children can Fork. Each generation of projectiles has the "Less Damage" modifier reapplied (Initial Projectile-- -15%, Children-- -30%, Third Generation-- -45%, etc).

Most cases chain/pierce will be superior, where fork is just there laying in your stash. For me it seems to be one of the most underused supports in the enitre game.

Any thought? How'd you make it vialbe, and better than chain/pierce in some cases(Sure don't make it OP so there'll be no choice between fork and the others).

It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
I don't think its meant to be a viable permanent option, I think it's meant to be a stepping stone while leveling a new char.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
I don't think its meant to be a viable permanent option, I think it's meant to be a stepping stone while leveling a new char.

Why shouldn't a support gem be "end game -viable"?

Yes, I know Chance to Flee sucks too for example but it could use some changes as well...
never used fork, just don't see any reason to use it over any of the other support gems, wasted skill
"
Grughal wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:

Yes, I know Chance to Flee sucks too for example but it could use some changes as well...

They should just change it to chance to fear(dmg reduction), or chance to confuse(fights as minions for short duration)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Fork had it's 15 minutes of fame back with the old Sporker build.
"
Grughal wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:

Same reason many uniques aren't meant to be used in end-game situations.

Not saying that fork shouldn't have a long-term purpose, not saying that it doesn't, either. Just commenting on what appears to be a design choice by the devs.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
There are surely unqiues that aren't endgame-viable(Well, depends what you relate each item too). However a supportgem is for me different, why even have fork as an option when pierce(with no less damage modifier) and chain already do it better?
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
AFAIK only Spark bounces off walls. I wouldnt use it with a spell that wouldnt, and often I'd prefer pierce for bows. The forked copies usually miss and hit a wall over nothing.

Hmm, actually, now that I think about it, I could use it for my CoC Cyclone guy as 6th link. (if every piece from the gmp can spork into 2 pieces it is very worth it since they will spork and shotgun immediatly)
Oblivious

i like Fork with Spark. it does everything i want it to do on this char. only other comparable support in this setup is faster projectiles (mainly due to 10% cast speed + lvl30 echo)

what makes it less useful for other 'more controllable' projectiles? set, uncontrollable angle.

just make it 'aim' at nearest two mobs 'around' their current angles (like 2 nearest mobs: one to the left, other to the right of initial projectile 'vector'). this small change should have made it a very very nice support for its price.

other solution: initial hit does full damage, secondary hits deal 50% damage (for total of 200% damage if all 3 connect)

potential is there, sadly in current 'one click full screen aoe' fork has no place as it hits at most 3 targets. 3 targets in current meta is as good as 0 targets.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info