anyone else play grim dawn?

"
morbo wrote:

I guess the best way to play GD is having lots of builds leveling up near-simultaneously.

The most optimal approach is to rush a single carrier char for a while, who is gonna play the end game content and gather loot/twinking gear to feed the new builds.

The best way to plan a char in GD is around items, and I don't mean only legs/epics, but any gear able to customize the char the way you'd like, or just straight high numbers.
Itemization in GD is ridiculously good, build revolves around items and they define it.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 11, 2016, 7:39:28 AM
Just like in PoE, items pretty much make the builds in Grim Dawn. For example, You got several items that convert one damage type to another.

I'm currently messing around with a build that uses this:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Orb_of_Ch%27thon

Converts all elemental damage to chaos damage.

This one converts chaos to aether damage:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Albrecht%27s_Duality

This weapon has cold to fire conversion:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Warpfire

The damage is recalculated post conversion. So if you got high fire damage % and convert it to chaos, it will no longer factor in your fire % and will use your chaos %.

Just to use an example, lets take a move like AAR that's split between fire and aether damage. The aether damage can be converted with a transmute skill (a branch off) into chaos damage, which would make it chaos + fire. But with the Blood Orb of Ch'thon, ALL the damage gets converted to chaos damage if you grab the transmuter skill. Single damage type is better than split damage. You can focus on raising just that one damage type with gear. You can get close to +2000% chaos damage with gear/buffs/devotions, etc. I think chaos mages might be the strongest casters. If anyone is gonna use AAR (The skill is still garbage even as pure chaos damage, trust me. Because chaos mages are too squishy to stand still long enough to channel it for good DPS), then using that method would get the most out of it.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 16, 2016, 6:12:43 AM
Arrghhhh! Need to vent...

Anyone thinking PoE bosses are a "spike difficulty", should check out Act 3 & 4 bosses in GD on Ultimate.

Just fough Act 3 boss for 15 mins with my melee guy (Blade Arc, warder). The boss is hard to see and spams so much minions, I could hit him once every 10 seconds, maybe. But this is not enough, almost every debuff in GD has also to slow you down (wtf is with that? its so annoying). In combination with ground degen, small room and spike damage, its really a test of your patience. >_<

At least I got a decent & silly item out of it: "Pretty Great Pants", lol... :D

I'd take Uber Lab & Izaro any day over this fight. Combat in PoE feels better overall, its more "impactful", smooth & fast. GD has a ton of burst / spike damage too, and your pot is on a long cooldown so you have to flee away to replenish life. I like the difficulty of GD tho, PoE is currently way too easy.

Anyway, the vagina boss of Act 4, that thing I wont even try on this melee char on Ultimate difficulty. Maybe when I loot some GG gear.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
If a boss fight took 15 minutes you were undergeared. Being a melee warder, you were tanky enough to survive, but probably not geared enough to DPS. Non-Warder builds would have had no chance to win if faced with a similar situation. Their only option is to gear up.

If you add me on steam (crimsonedge11), and give me the cost for the materials, I can craft you these items:

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blueprint:_Faceguard_of_Justice

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blueprint:_Leviathan

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blueprint:_Reforged_Chains_of_Oleron

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blueprint:_Empowered_Essence_of_Beronath

I use all those on my Warder. I'm not sure if you went 2h, or even 2h mace, but the other stuff would be good regardless. Leviathan is BiS for a whole lot of 2h builds though.

The most OP mob in Grim Dawn is Avatar of Mogdrogen. He's a god, literally! Unlike uber atziri there is no quick, cheap gimmick chaos build that takes him out in under 10 secs. The quickest solo kill on Mog was 10 minutes. The build used was a saboteur. A duo took him down in like 2 minutes (Blademaster + a support/buff/debuffer)

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 17, 2016, 1:40:53 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
If a boss fight took 15 minutes you were undergeared.

Playing 2H (currently have some Epic axe). My gear is not that bad (4x Legendarys with lots of armor & health, also some +skill affixes for my build), tho some of it is dated (lvl 50 req).

6600 - 15300 damage on Blade Arc (DPS says 19k)
14.2k life, lots of leech & regen (pretty tanky spec)
Res capped on nearly capped, except Vitality (32%), Aether (-17%) & Chaos (10%)

I can tank almost everything (using Wendigo totem too), but this fight was quite hard. If I stood still, I'd get burst damaged quite fast. Act 4 boss on Elite was similarily a long fight, also due to the mechanic of melee having to mow through ads to get to the boss. And the damn slowdown debuffs, I really hate those...

Appreciate the offer, but I prefer to gear up Self-Found. Also don't have Steam, I bought the game on GoG. I'll keep in mind those recipes tho, thanks for the tips!

E:
Actually Chaos res is -10%, so maybe that was the problem. Tho the debuff icon when fighting chthonics, says bleeding, which I have capped.. ??
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 17, 2016, 1:52:54 PM
Devotion procs are pretty important too. I got assassin's mark linked to wendigo totem (debuffs physical resist), and the falcon swoop attack is really good vs bosses, it shoots 6 projectiles at max level and has a shotgun effect when it procs.
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Devotion procs are pretty important too. I got assassin's mark linked to wendigo totem (debuffs physical resist), and the falcon swoop attack is really good vs bosses, it shoots 6 projectiles at max level and has a shotgun effect when it procs.

I'm already using falcon swop on main attack, it does some great damage when it procs. I also equipped the pants I mentiond before, it's hilarious, the granted skill even confuses hero mobs sometimes.. :)

There's a few design things that annoy me, but overall GD is a great ARPG! The itemization & customizaton is deep. Build diversity too. I see myself playing this game for a long time, esp. if they add more endgame dungeons to grind as expansion or DLC.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
morbo wrote:

There's a few design things that annoy me, but overall GD is a great ARPG! The itemization & customizaton is deep. Build diversity too. I see myself playing this game for a long time, esp. if they add more endgame dungeons to grind as expansion or DLC.

Well, the next DLC (before expansion) will be

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

In other news, Crate finally announced survival mode which will be know as Crucible mode. The pricing as not been determined yet and will probably be known by the DLC's release date later this summer. Those who kickstarted or supported the game via their website on May 18 2012 or prior to that (The actual detail is in the link on the bottom of the first post).

Probably might come out next month.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Hey Morbo, don't let the hentai fairy spoil your impressions of the game. Log is the worst boss in this game by design, he was rushed and is basically still a mess, no matter he got reworked and rebalanced.

Though, the fight is mechanical as all boss fights in GD are. Also requires some knowledge of the damage types he's using, that's crucial.

- high chaos and poison res is required, along with good lightning
- killing the tentacle spawns damages him

Avoid facetanking him if not overgeared, he's a bitch at melee range. The tactic as melee is to get in, damage him, and get out before he pukes the poison over you. Stay at a distance, kill tentacle spawns and wait for him to use his chaos barrage. Kite it, as along with the damage it does, when it hits you it spawns minions, which may flood the room. If you've spawned too many minions, go back at the end of the room where boss will damage you with the chaos bolt only and clean them up. Take care of ground chaos circles, they can stack over each other, you got to move.

But honestly, the best way to deal with Log in normal/elite is to facetank him with a well geared char. To end the fight fast, before he can do all his tricks. Drink chaos/poison potion and go. He's absolutely doable with self found gear, but you'll probably got to enter the room overleveled.
Ultimate Log is very hard to facetank, unless char is geared as fuck.

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 18, 2016, 5:40:10 AM
"
torturo wrote:
Hey Morbo, don't let the hentai fairy spoil your impressions of the game.

No way, I'm totally enjoying GD ;)

This boss seems a bit overpowered, yeah. At the time I did him on Elite, I was able to fully clear Bastion of Chaos and facetank the final boss there with just minimal disengagement to replenish life. But Log fight was so long and frustrating. Tho I guess that for newbs in PoE, Malachai fight feels the same, until you learn the mechanics.

I love the progression in GD, it has what PoE is (currently) lacking - gradual advance toward the next difficulty / Acts, by gearing up in the previous. Coupled with very good customization of your char - gear / components / augments / devotions - it gives you a much better sense of slow progression toward power. In PoE too much of your char progression (through gear or content) depends on gambling and luck.

There's a few things I dont like in GD, eg:

- very limited stash space (even if you are not a hoarder, like me)
- too many debuffs that also slow you down
- (melee) combat is a bit confusing sometimes, not sure what you are attcking, hard to target smaller monsters that are in cover of big monsters
- hard to notice your life bar, with just the corner of your eye, like you can do with health globes in PoE or D3. Sometimes I just die, cause I dont notice my life is lowering.

But none of this ruin the game.

@JohnNamikaze, I saw that DLC annoncement yeah. Looks like some sort of "endless" dungeon, I always hoped to get in PoE. (maybe in 2.4 :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info