Vaal Fragment Changes in 1.2.4d

"
Theporter wrote:
Why cant we just add one more difficulty where the entire map is scaled to 78 all through out Wraeclast? That way we can farm high level areas in a place of our choosing for corrupted zones. For increased difficulty (Item quantity) we use end game maps modded with currency? Realistically i would like to kill a level 78 vaal oversoul or merivele. With out maps i dont feel like running Dom 24/7, or the catacombs.... Add a 4th difficulty. Normal,Cruel,Merciless and ??? Sacrificial????

Why even bother calling it sacrificial? it's really just a farming difficulty, it could be Normal, cruel, merciless, and farmland. And you would pretty much have to gain all the waypoints at one time, getting rid of any sort of progression. once your done with merciless, it's time to make your way into endgame. This whole idea sound pointless and silly.
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
I agree with this x1000. This is the problem with GGG when it comes to endgame, they sit looking at stats and dont understand what it is to be a player of their own game. A rare map with 100% quant drops more than a blue map with 40%, weve checked our server stats and it is working, we can see more items are dropping when we look at a sample size of 500,000 people playing maps. So there is risk vs reward and it works, we have a diverse endgame.

No, you dont, because if you actually played your own game the way we do you would quickly realise its pointless running hard rolled maps because the rng swing is so wide that the tiny amount of extra quant provides no visible increase in how much 'stuff' you get from a 6 hour grind. Watch HvR, one of the consistently richest players in HC, rolls high maps blue for pack/magic mobs then regals, Morsexier one of the longest serving hardcore veterans "theres absolutely no point in running hard rolled maps, theres no risk vs reward".

In GGGs mind theres an incentive, but it only exists on paper, the people who actually play the game know it doesnt exist in reality. On paper this is an incentive to run Vaaled maps and to avoid doing mass instance resets in sublevel zones, in reality again it doesnt exist. If you did it youll keep on doing it, if not then not. I alch maps sometimes, and when I do it I wish there was a reason I was doing it outside of being bored and doing it for its own sake, if GGG looked and saw I run alched maps, system must be working fine, nothing broken here at all. We all orb craft, grind for loot, roll maps, level masters etc, it doesnt mean these systems are working properly and resulting in a fun, challenging game that has risk vs reward balance. I dont care about how hard or easy it is to access atziri, what I care about is that tick going on the whiteboard at GGGhq, yet another problem "solved" that still exists and is still not understood by the Dev team from their remote, detached perspective. Its what that says about the games future that concerns me.

I really don't think it's all a matter of statistics and detachment, Snorkle. GGG has blinders on. Their focus on economy has narrowed their vision. Anytime the resale value of an in game item is considered as a factor in design decisions, the game suffers for it. I'd lay odds that's the real reason for the absurd grind to get a master from 7 to 8, so those who rushed (whether through legitimate or exploitative means) had the opportunity to sell services to those who didn't take an obsessive approach to it.

The "vision" of an economy centered game is more myopic than many here are willing to admit. GGG sure as hell isn't willing to see it.
For me the change is great, i almost always vaal maps, and i almost never run off my maps stock - i run all chiselled and with vaal frags. Sometimes with zana mods, and i dont care if i dont drop any good map from 200% iq map - its just RNG
I wonder how many meps will i get from them with 30% iq from uber frags and with 40 iq from onslaught :

:P

TLDR: Change interaction between maps and fragments so that when a map and a fragment are used together it spawns a corrupted area with the level of the map. Higher level corrupted areas would have increased chance to drop midnight fragments.

"
Chris wrote:
We added the ability to turn unwanted Fragments into new high-level corrupted areas, so that they could be rerolled until they turned into either a better fragment or a Vaal Skill Gem.

This is exactly what should have been done, but the corrupted areas are level 66-68. This is not high level in term of end game; it is low level.

But let's back up for a second. The problem as Chris put it:
"
Chris wrote:
is that as this process is bottlenecked by finding a lot of corrupted areas, the most effective ways to maximise Fragments per hour involve activities that are at best boring and at worst exploitative. We needed to find a more fun way to complete Fragment sets.

Unfortunately this still misses a key component. While it is great to introduce a more fun way to complete set it is more important that a new method be more effective. Players will always gravitate towards the most effective way to complete a task, regardless of if it is the most fun (especially if, as in this case, it is just a means to an end). In my opinion at least, good game design will strive to make the most fun solution also be the most effective.

The solution proposed here by GGG, as many people have pointed out, will not be more effective than the current method. Even if vaal orb drop rates are increased, as many people are suggesting, this will still not likely be more effective (unless drop rate are increased to such as degree that obtaining vaal orbs becomes trivial, which seems unlikely).

The solution also seems to go against GGG's own desire as they
"
Chris wrote:
didn't want to make Fragments drop from existing end-game activities that players already performed

Well players already run maps. Some players already run corrupted maps. But is running a corrupted map really any different than running it otherwise? I don't see how this is any different from having corrupted areas spawn in maps, as many people have requested numerous times.

Many people in this thread seem to be suggesting allowing corrupted areas to spawn in maps as a solution to this problem. While I think that having corrupted areas spawn in maps would be fun and I see no reason not to allow it now the the technical hurdles have been surpassed this would solve the problem. Running map for corrupted side areas would surely not be more efficient than the current best method (at least without additional changes).

So now back to the beginning. I think that a good solution to this problem is to allow creation of actually high level corrupted areas. A potential way to do this is to change the interaction between maps and fragments. Rather than having fragment add quantity to maps. Maps could impose there level on the corrupted area. So add a fragment and a level 70 map and you have a level 70 corrupted area. Of course to have this work higher level corrupted areas would have to have in increased rarity on fragments drops so that a level 75 area has a much higher chance to drop a midnight than a level 65 area.

The most basic interaction would be for this to ignore map mods or perhaps only work with white maps, and just take the level from the map. A perhaps more interesting way to do it would be to take the map mods from the map and add them, along with the increase item quantity, to the corrupted area. This would mean that the corrupted area has its normally rolled mods plus the mods from the map. To make this worthwhile the increased item quantity would have to increase the quantity of fragments drop. For example 50% increased quantity could give a 50% chance for a second fragment to drop and 100% quantity grantee two drops.

The goal with this would be, once a sufficient pool of fragments is initially obtained (eg., simply from leveling through, normal-merciless, with maybe a bit of farming normal content side areas at the end) and with a sufficient map pool, that it would be possible to maintain a fragment pool to farm high level corrupted areas without having to resort to low level content in much the same way that a map pool is maintained by farming maps. This would provide the desired separation between the two types a contact, but still maintain a strong connection since maps will be needed to maintain the cycle of fragment farming.
"
Wulgar55 wrote:
TLDR: Change interaction between maps and fragments so that when a map and a fragment are used together it spawns a corrupted area with the level of the map. Higher level corrupted areas would have increased chance to drop midnight fragments.

"
Chris wrote:
We added the ability to turn unwanted Fragments into new high-level corrupted areas, so that they could be rerolled until they turned into either a better fragment or a Vaal Skill Gem.

This is exactly what should have been done, but the corrupted areas are level 66-68. This is not high level in term of end game; it is low level.

But let's back up for a second. The problem as Chris put it:
"
Chris wrote:
is that as this process is bottlenecked by finding a lot of corrupted areas, the most effective ways to maximise Fragments per hour involve activities that are at best boring and at worst exploitative. We needed to find a more fun way to complete Fragment sets.

Unfortunately this still misses a key component. While it is great to introduce a more fun way to complete set it is more important that a new method be more effective. Players will always gravitate towards the most effective way to complete a task, regardless of if it is the most fun (especially if, as in this case, it is just a means to an end). In my opinion at least, good game design will strive to make the most fun solution also be the most effective.

The solution proposed here by GGG, as many people have pointed out, will not be more effective than the current method. Even if vaal orb drop rates are increased, as many people are suggesting, this will still not likely be more effective (unless drop rate are increased to such as degree that obtaining vaal orbs becomes trivial, which seems unlikely).

The solution also seems to go against GGG's own desire as they
"
Chris wrote:
didn't want to make Fragments drop from existing end-game activities that players already performed

Well players already run maps. Some players already run corrupted maps. But is running a corrupted map really any different than running it otherwise? I don't see how this is any different from having corrupted areas spawn in maps, as many people have requested numerous times.

Many people in this thread seem to be suggesting allowing corrupted areas to spawn in maps as a solution to this problem. While I think that having corrupted areas spawn in maps would be fun and I see no reason not to allow it now the the technical hurdles have been surpassed this would solve the problem. Running map for corrupted side areas would surely not be more efficient than the current best method (at least without additional changes).

So now back to the beginning. I think that a good solution to this problem is to allow creation of actually high level corrupted areas. A potential way to do this is to change the interaction between maps and fragments. Rather than having fragment add quantity to maps. Maps could impose there level on the corrupted area. So add a fragment and a level 70 map and you have a level 70 corrupted area. Of course to have this work higher level corrupted areas would have to have in increased rarity on fragments drops so that a level 75 area has a much higher chance to drop a midnight than a level 65 area.

The most basic interaction would be for this to ignore map mods or perhaps only work with white maps, and just take the level from the map. A perhaps more interesting way to do it would be to take the map mods from the map and add them, along with the increase item quantity, to the corrupted area. This would mean that the corrupted area has its normally rolled mods plus the mods from the map. To make this worthwhile the increased item quantity would have to increase the quantity of fragments drop. For example 50% increased quantity could give a 50% chance for a second fragment to drop and 100% quantity grantee two drops.

The goal with this would be, once a sufficient pool of fragments is initially obtained (eg., simply from leveling through, normal-merciless, with maybe a bit of farming normal content side areas at the end) and with a sufficient map pool, that it would be possible to maintain a fragment pool to farm high level corrupted areas without having to resort to low level content in much the same way that a map pool is maintained by farming maps. This would provide the desired separation between the two types a contact, but still maintain a strong connection since maps will be needed to maintain the cycle of fragment farming.

This is actually quite interesting. The main problem I have with it though, is that it would seem compulsory to do.

What GGG is trying to do, is to allow players different paths to take in "endgame". You can farm for sac sets, and run atziri as endgame, or you can do maps. They don't want them to go hand in hand. It offers people choice on what they wish to do. Some players specifically like doing one or the other. They don't want players doing both simultaneously. It defeats the purpose. They're separate endgame activities.
So Chris thinks that there are people who dont like to mapping but like do Atziri and there are people who dont like Atziri but like mapping...Corect? And not spoil the fun for mapping players and Atziri farmers he dont want to make corrupted areas on maps, because mapping players will be so much dissapointed to see a corrupted area, and Atziri farmers will be so much dissapointed to have the opportunity to get a corrupted area on map, right? )

I like mapping and do Atziri and when Im bored from mapping I want to run Atziri, but for that I need to farm some shit. Why it cant be continuous fun when we mapping and get fragments from maps and then go to Atziri, but we must to do some annoying things to be able to do some fun things? Or its like a carrot and stick concept here?
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
If one part of the reason behind this is to give players the choice of what to do in their game play , there is a big part of the community that i know of - including me - that likes to run both endgame maps and the other fun stuff , and by this way you are not being fair imo because people that likes to farm sac sets all day for some sets and then do atziri can instantly switch to endgame maps without having problems, on the other hand players that are leveling / mapping and decide to take a break and do atziri runs, wouldnt be able to do it, because they either have to spend the rest of the day (which is not long cuz already spent lots of time leveling / mapping and stuff) farming for pieces or have to spend time with some retarded traders/flippers to buy sacrifice sets off them therefore spending double the currency if we count the currency spent in rolling maps.

Idea is good to begin with, but srsly this shit is getting serious , we are already spending lots of time playing this sexy game, what do you want more??? CHRIS, WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE? just let us have some fun man , the end of the world is close.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
This is actually quite interesting. The main problem I have with it though, is that it would seem compulsory to do.

Not sure what would be compulsory. If you weren't interested in doing Atziri this method would not be compulsory at all. If you did want to farm Atziri I guess it would be somewhat compulsory in a way, but so is the current system. You could still buy fragment sets. Also doing maps to fuel it wouldn't be compulsory per se either since you could just buy maps. Doing some amount of maps is mostly compulsory as it is. I guess it would be possible to avoid maps in the current system and jump from merc to atziri, but I imagine that would be rather inefficient and difficult, and can't see any reason to do so.

Completely separating them is an option though. They are hardly separate now as you essentially need to do maps to level up at any appreciable speed and you need to be pretty high level before you can start doing atziri. The solution GGG proposed links them even closer then the one I proposed, as it would be just running corrupted maps for fragments. They are not separate endgame activities now. Its a progression from normal > cruel > merc > maps > atrizi > maps > uber atziri. Except right now it is more like this: normal > cruel > merc > maps > merc > atrizi > maps > merc > atzriri > uber

Another solution that would keep them separate would be to allow fragments to be rolled like maps. I am not sure how you would increase their level though.

I don't see the benefit in trying to separate them though. Having them be parallel, interconnected progression paths is, at least in my opinion, more interesting.
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

How can you possibly think this game doesn't have power creep?

because it's one of the dogmas of the developers. sure, there are exceptions like the introduction of new powerful uniques which may bring some devaluation of your current gear because they better fit into some existing builds but this process will slow down over time because they can't produce new unique items forever.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:

Regardless, you can buy the items from Atziri by simply twatting swarms or low level bosses.
It's the content access people want. Yes, you can buy the content access, too, by twatting swarms, or you can ultimately access the content without buying, by twatting swarms x 1 million.
See the issues?

to be honest: no (what is "twatting a swarm?. and what has it to do with power creep and the need to restrict acceess to endgame?)

and where is the problem with just bying stuff sets from other players? there is none.

ggg introduced a mechanic for players to have a chance getting fragments without bying them on the market or doing low level areas and yet people complain alot, mostly because ggg is not shoveling them up their a..es for free but attaching a fair price. that's the way i see the problem.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
So Chris thinks that there are people who dont like to mapping but like do Atziri and there are people who dont like Atziri but like mapping...Corect? And not spoil the fun for mapping players and Atziri farmers he dont want to make corrupted areas on maps, because mapping players will be so much dissapointed to see a corrupted area, and Atziri farmers will be so much dissapointed to have the opportunity to get a corrupted area on map, right? )

I like mapping and do Atziri and when Im bored from mapping I want to run Atziri, but for that I need to farm some shit. Why it cant be continuous fun when we mapping and get fragments from maps and then go to Atziri, but we must to do some annoying things to be able to do some fun things? Or its like a carrot and stick concept here?

They're different endgame paths. If you want to do what you proposed, you simply vaal some maps/run low lvl content/ by the sets.

They don't want to integrate the two, because it's not meant to be seamless. Otherwise, they wouldn't be different. As an example, I'm in the same boat you are. I like to do a little of both. When I get bored mapping, I'll go and do some atziri runs. I can still do this, and since I already vaal maps for fun, I get a little bit closer to my atziri runs without having to farm docks etc.

It's like playing towards a goal. The entire point of endgame in ARPGs is basically to keep players playing. Doesn't matter what the activity is. Be it PvP, high end bosses, mapping, raiding, etc.

At the end of the day, atziri loses her endgame stature if players just gain access for doing things they already would be doing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info