Daggers and 2 H Weapons. How could be balanced.

Quivers, we need the equivalent of quivers... Capes was suggested, more shiny than bucklers ^^.

2handers are right in the middle of the fight and they have the most shitty defenses as they can get no shield, laughable block chance which lead to laughable spell block too.

6 bonus on a quiver, it's like 15 free skill points. How can you compete with 15 less skill points. Yes you get more damage, but "no range" should be enough of a drawback already.

Then yeah daggers... but I don't really care about nerfs I'd rather get a 2hander buff.

"
Vlaadaone wrote:
I agree in most points given by Autocthon but more correct way to approach the topic is to strike at the core, meaning we should be discussing crit mechanics itself and what it brings to the game not daggers..

The problem with striking at the core atm the moment is that daggers are so ridiculously far outside of the curve that everything else needs to be pushed into their level or they need to be brought down.

One weapon group has every advantage. So if you start trying to balance everything else through whatever means that weapon group will keep retaining its advantage and keep being best. Sure you could give 2H weapons more bonus from strength (which actually doesn't amount to much in all honesty, not as much as you think anyway), but the underlying issue of weapon balance is still there.

Step 1) Make daggers reasonable in their advantages vs disadvantages
Step 2) Balance things

It's not like 2H weapons are completely uninteresting. They actually have an interesting play pattern because of the raw damage.

What I'd recommend is normalizing flat damage affixes against weapon base speed. If you do that daggers lose 40% of their relative DPS, and most of their ridiculous advantage. Hell, that alone might be enough to actually have other weapon types see reasonable use.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
Vlaadaone wrote:
I agree in most points given by Autocthon but more correct way to approach the topic is to strike at the core, meaning we should be discussing crit mechanics itself and what it brings to the game not daggers..

The problem with striking at the core atm the moment is that daggers are so ridiculously far outside of the curve that everything else needs to be pushed into their level or they need to be brought down.

One weapon group has every advantage. So if you start trying to balance everything else through whatever means that weapon group will keep retaining its advantage and keep being best. Sure you could give 2H weapons more bonus from strength (which actually doesn't amount to much in all honesty, not as much as you think anyway), but the underlying issue of weapon balance is still there.

Step 1) Make daggers reasonable in their advantages vs disadvantages
Step 2) Balance things

It's not like 2H weapons are completely uninteresting. They actually have an interesting play pattern because of the raw damage.

What I'd recommend is normalizing flat damage affixes against weapon base speed. If you do that daggers lose 40% of their relative DPS, and most of their ridiculous advantage. Hell, that alone might be enough to actually have other weapon types see reasonable use.

Again, daggers are just prime example of unrewarding non crit mechanics.

Lets say that changes have been made. Next there are bows, claws, wands that have fare more options and fun mechanics compared to 2h. I did expand on the topic, but I guess that is for another thread. Cant argue about daggers, they ARE what you say they are but by expansion, most non crit is in all honesty, lacking.
"
Vlaadaone wrote:

Again, daggers are just prime example of unrewarding non crit mechanics.

Lets say that changes have been made. Next there are bows, claws, wands that have fare more options and fun mechanics compared to 2h. I did expand on the topic, but I guess that is for another thread. Cant argue about daggers, they ARE what you say they are but by expansion, most non crit is in all honesty, lacking.
You'll notice my two step plan was to fix daggers then balance things. That was for a reason.

You'll also notice my fix to crit was essentially to reduce the scaling by a two thirds. Which puts it more in line with other stats. Which pretty much fixes the issue, with room for tweaking.

Honestly flat damage bonuses have needed to be normalized for a while now /sigh

Edit: Fast explanation: 90% of the imbalance is AS, the last 10% is crit, and that's almost entirely because of node support.
Last edited by Autocthon on Nov 10, 2014, 4:17:21 PM
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
Vlaadaone wrote:

Edit: Fast explanation: 90% of the imbalance is AS, the last 10% is crit, and that's almost entirely because of node support.

You do know that the entire dagger tree was node-buffed the last tree rework because daggers and especially dual-wield daggers were sorely lacking?
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
"
Autocthon wrote:

You do know that the entire dagger tree was node-buffed the last tree rework because daggers and especially dual-wield daggers were sorely lacking?
They weren't lacking. They were unused because they had almost 0 effective skill support.

Then stuff like Melee Splash and Spectral Throw turned a weapon which has historically always been capable of sickening levels of single target DPS into one capable of shredding half a screen with that DPS.

If ST didn't exist daggers would be more or less getting ignored still. Well people might reave and that might be OP enough to get attention. Daggers have always had stupid good damage, they've just gotten effective AoE only very recently.
You're right, it's not even daggers vs. 2-hands. It's daggers vs. every other melee weapon.

Sword builds? Dumpster.

Axe builds? Trash.

Mace/Sceptre builds? Aww, cute, what a special snowflake.

Claw builds? Go home buddy you're drunk.

People thinking this is some 2-Hand issue just don't get it. Tone done base crit on daggers, remove Elreon level 8 mod, and maybe people will use other melee weapons again.

I just hope GGG is smart enough not to buff everything to dagger level and trivialize the game content even further than they already have.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on Nov 11, 2014, 1:42:01 PM
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
I just hope GGG is smart enough not to buff everything to dagger level and trivialize the game content even further than they already have.

Agreed. But (not saying you implied this) nerfing just daggers to match the other 1h weapons can't be the right solution either. Then all melee builds would fall short to Bows, Wands and some spells.
"
TheTenthDoc wrote:
You're right, it's not even daggers vs. 2-hands. It's daggers vs. every other melee weapon.

Sword builds? Dumpster.

Axe builds? Trash.

Mace/Sceptre builds? Aww, cute, what a special snowflake.

Claw builds? Go home buddy you're drunk.

People thinking this is some 2-Hand issue just don't get it. Tone done base crit on daggers, remove Elreon level 8 mod, and maybe people will use other melee weapons again.

Reiterating: You don't have to reduce dagger base crit to balance them. There are other systemic ways to balance them without marginalizing their purpose as the 1H crit weapon. Though I don't like that daggers are a high crit weapon, that's another discussion.

I also rather like claw builds, too bad "leech tabk" doesn't work.
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
"
Autocthon wrote:

They weren't lacking. They were unused because they had almost 0 effective skill support.

Then stuff like Melee Splash and Spectral Throw turned a weapon which has historically always been capable of sickening levels of single target DPS into one capable of shredding half a screen with that DPS.

If ST didn't exist daggers would be more or less getting ignored still. Well people might reave and that might be OP enough to get attention. Daggers have always had stupid good damage, they've just gotten effective AoE only very recently.

I mean this last rework for the masters expansion.

"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info