Map drop rates are too high

"
NeroNoah wrote:

Fun fact: map diversity has a pyramid shaped distribution when you consider levels. That's no random fact.

sure, agreed

"

It's devious because how to advance with it it's somwhat unintuitive (roll magic packs! difficulty has a relationship with drops that you'll start to see when you play a ton of maps! etc.). A lot of people have gone mad over that system because of its statistical nature.

at least when maps were scarce people rolled for high quantity. maps were both resource sinks and had at least *some* semblance of risk/reward that people wanted

but nooo, people whined and whined until the maps devalued like crazy and are common as hell. I already said I got over 500 chisels just leveling alts but honestly I have WAY too many low level maps now, I even run out of hammers/whetstones. soon I just wont pick them up. bad layout maps are totally useless to run before lvl 70 or so anyway, at least in perma leagues.

"

Grind is overrated. This game should try to make it as fun as possible given that it is its core component. Just having a grind doesn't make the efforts interesting.

thats your opinion, and it conflicts with what this game is about, at least in devs eyes, and in my eyes personally. a lot of people consider grinding fun too.

I enjoy the long grind in poe without becoming a demigod. I enjoyed not being able to do high level maps right away. there were people qqing about gated progress not behind difficulty but rng, but I understood that if map drops were guaranteed or vastly improved, no one would them run them rare with dangerous mods. simply because a white 77 maps is less dangerous than a super hard lvl 72 map

the map changes basically made me run blue maps as well as I level my alts. because why not ?
efficiency is king and running blue linear maps with pack/size magic gives the best output

and its a predicament I hate to be in, because I enjoyed the hell out of grinding low level maps back in beta where I as a solo player (actually I think I bought a map once in two years of poe play) could not sustain a big pool above level 72-73. I enjoyed chaos spamming high maps and finding some tough mods along with mods I wanted. and it was required. now transmute, alt and go is boring, safe way to level alts in both hc and softcore up until pretty much 77-78
Last edited by grepman on Oct 30, 2014, 4:02:25 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
You cannot maintain a 78 pool solo, so no, map droprates are not too high.

What do you mean with "maintain"? Solo vs party discussion regarding map drops is irrelevant, because the map drop rate is the same in both cases. The only benefit partying gives is that you can run more maps per invested orb (= cheaper XP), but partying will not help you build your map pool any better than soloing.

I'm playing solo, self-found maps, and have never run out of 78s since I've hit the tier. I cant chain 78s forever, but I can circle between running 76s - 78s all day...

----------

I don't think map drops are too high, they are enough. The biggest problem is the wacky rng that does a really bad job at representing risk/reward, ie. objective difficulty of a map vs map returns.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
TL;DR OP.

Grouping and trading trivialise progression.
Casually casual.

Every league I've played since the map buffs, it has only taken a session or two of long mapping to reach 75+ maps to the point where you will never fall. No trading, maybe playing with 1 or 2 friends, but typically solo. That is uninteresting.

A suggestion I have would be to half map drop rates and half map sizes, then double quantity from mods.
"
morbo wrote:
I cant chain 78s forever

Which is all my point was. It's not possible to do without buying maps. So QQ about droprates being too high makes no sense.

When the day comes that it's possible to endlessly chain the top tier of maps by yourself without buying them, then you can have a valid argument for droprates needing a nerf.

Until then, it's just a particularly nonsensical form of QQ.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 30, 2014, 8:47:36 AM
"
Precaso wrote:
Every league I've played since the map buffs, it has only taken a session or two of long mapping to reach 75+ maps to the point where you will never fall. No trading, maybe playing with 1 or 2 friends, but typically solo. That is uninteresting.

A suggestion I have would be to half map drop rates and half map sizes, then double quantity from mods.

people complained a lot more when no maps droped, for 1, and for 2, theres already infinite clutter on the floor, why do you want more? shorter maps? wtf are you saying man, if anything needs to be adjusted its the xp ratios based around those maps....and more map layouts... let go of nostalgia, smaller dungeons would be another step backwards.

You need to revise why you think being lvl 90-95 is bad overall, 85-100 is still extremely long, if you want it to be slower then play slower builds and pace yourself, ofc you will achieve higher levels fast if all you think about it high level maping, thats always been the case and always will be to some extent, rethink why you play poe man, because that's basic shit.

"That is uninteresting." this opinion is vague, because most people I asked said they love the new map drops, even the people who hunt levels, only a few "hardcore" players complained, and they said in the end it doesent mater tho because i will RIP and start over, poe is about starting over, and btw not evryone has your RNG, 2 of my friends cant find maps with 130+iiq and havent found a single cartobox since the nerf, and they play evryday 7+hours day, so keep in mind you dont HAVE to play all the maps you can sell some, to help people who jus tDONT find maps as you do, count yourself lucky stop being so damn selfish lol.

I think a big problem is people don't understand how lucky they are, and run to say the game is "too easy" , yes you can get mad crazy drops, ive med a guy who had 2 mjolner's drop in the same league, and countless more op wtf gear, does that means drops should be nerfed? ive heart of people finding 2 mirrors in there lifetime, should mirrors be nerfed? not really, some are lucky some are doing fine and some (kinda want to say most because of how much complaints i hear but dono) are unlucky-very unlucky.

tldr: kinda is true xping has an odd curve with maps lvl 60-78~ maybe xping little too easy but maps aren't the ishue, xp ratios is.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D

Maps are endgame a for a lot of people (including myself here), but since the higher lvl map drops are "in fact" way too rare this game lacks sometimes ... well ... endgame content for a huge bunch of people!

So you've been forced very often to buy on a regular basis endgame content for exes and that's why people complain that they find it quiet chore and dull to level a character beyond lvl 85.

And you're saying the map drops are way too high? Gain sanity please :)

- Best Signature Ever -
Spoiler
"
grepman wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

Fun fact: map diversity has a pyramid shaped distribution when you consider levels. That's no random fact.

sure, agreed

"

It's devious because how to advance with it it's somwhat unintuitive (roll magic packs! difficulty has a relationship with drops that you'll start to see when you play a ton of maps! etc.). A lot of people have gone mad over that system because of its statistical nature.

at least when maps were scarce people rolled for high quantity. maps were both resource sinks and had at least *some* semblance of risk/reward that people wanted

but nooo, people whined and whined until the maps devalued like crazy and are common as hell. I already said I got over 500 chisels just leveling alts but honestly I have WAY too many low level maps now, I even run out of hammers/whetstones. soon I just wont pick them up. bad layout maps are totally useless to run before lvl 70 or so anyway, at least in perma leagues.

"

Grind is overrated. This game should try to make it as fun as possible given that it is its core component. Just having a grind doesn't make the efforts interesting.

thats your opinion, and it conflicts with what this game is about, at least in devs eyes, and in my eyes personally. a lot of people consider grinding fun too.

I enjoy the long grind in poe without becoming a demigod. I enjoyed not being able to do high level maps right away. there were people qqing about gated progress not behind difficulty but rng, but I understood that if map drops were guaranteed or vastly improved, no one would them run them rare with dangerous mods. simply because a white 77 maps is less dangerous than a super hard lvl 72 map

the map changes basically made me run blue maps as well as I level my alts. because why not ?
efficiency is king and running blue linear maps with pack/size magic gives the best output

and its a predicament I hate to be in, because I enjoyed the hell out of grinding low level maps back in beta where I as a solo player (actually I think I bought a map once in two years of poe play) could not sustain a big pool above level 72-73. I enjoyed chaos spamming high maps and finding some tough mods along with mods I wanted. and it was required. now transmute, alt and go is boring, safe way to level alts in both hc and softcore up until pretty much 77-78

Well, let's see...when people had to roll more quantity, they had less maps to even out the RNG, and you had a situation when doing a no regen, blood magic map could not give anything.
So it was strictly worse and maddening. Specially with mods that feel like they make impossible (not hard, just impossible) those already scarce maps. A dry streak there just hurts more than now.

Anyway, I understand you feel the map climbing is too quick right now. But...that's for everyone?

If that's the case, maybe reducing the drop rate of low level maps and recognizing the difficulty a little could be helpful. That and a more fair difficulty system that makes hard, not hair pulling, the map system. How that is...? I don't know, it's pure speculation.

If it's not, well, fuck. Outside the box thinking, I guess.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 30, 2014, 10:30:28 AM
This thread just continues to confirm that RNGseed is tied to account, there is no way in hell there can be so different game experiences any other way.

Nerf map drop rates and I just cannot play over level 70 maps at all, thank you.

Nerf cartographer box spawn rates, oh dear I have seen only one of them in map ever, and that was at ambush before they DID nerf the spawn rate.

Nerf this nerf that it doesn't change the fact that I am nerfed by default...oh well I swim in chromatics, they drop all the time and everywhere so there is my consolidation, too bad I play self found.

And before you give the classical comment of doing something wrong take a moment and think what it might be if I couldn't find a map over level 72 in domination when I alched&chiseled all my level70+ maps in desperation...still didn't manage to build a map pool. Maybe just maybe there is something wrong in game.
100% Troll thread. Maybe if I played Standard where I could just run 140% Quantity maps all day and not care if I died on occasion, but on Hardcore, you can't do that.

Map drops seem OKAY at the moment. I've gotten into some 74s and 75s for the first time ever. I don't put currency into my maps so I don't expect to chain 78s. But I can tell you from what I've seen on Beyond, most people are still running 74-78s. I've yet to see anyone chaining 100% 78s all day.

So basically, OP is wrong and came here to start a flame war.

What's next? "I find too many good items!"?
Team Won

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info