Map drop rates are too high

"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It's not about rates. It's about people. Whiners, for the most part. People who aren't satisfied no matter what situation they're placed in. They set unreasonable goals and then blame something else for them not being able to reach them. They could multiply the rate by 10 and the same people would be complaining that they weren't high enough. They would simply adjust to the new standard and be back to complaining. The bar would be higher... by a level or two... but there would still be a bar and they'd still complain that they couldn't get over it.

How much do you know about the psychology of dry streaks?

That doesn't even make sense. Dry streaks don't have a psyche.
I wanted to make a separate thread on this, but Im a lazy fuck.

remember when people were citing 'path of least resistance' and lack of risk/reward as a basis to make guaranteed or very frequent map drops ?

well now we have larger maps, chisel recipe that is dirt cheap (easily can get 500 chisels by just leveling 2-3 toons and checking vendor every level, provided you have whetstones and low maps), zana dailies and carto boxes.

whats the result- are people trying harder content for more rewards ?

um no, people just rush and do maps white or blue with pack size/magic until like 77

so basically theres dozens of great tilesets and interesting bosses but all endgame concentrates on two 78 maps and maaaybe 77 maps

what this map accessibility did is basically remove the endgame variety from the table.
not only that, it removed the necessity of doing hard mod maps before reaching 78 maps.
and a hard mod 74 map (-max, gmp, dmg for example) is MUCH harder than a blue 78 map with pack size.
Last edited by grepman on Oct 29, 2014, 2:55:14 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It's not about rates. It's about people. Whiners, for the most part. People who aren't satisfied no matter what situation they're placed in. They set unreasonable goals and then blame something else for them not being able to reach them. They could multiply the rate by 10 and the same people would be complaining that they weren't high enough. They would simply adjust to the new standard and be back to complaining. The bar would be higher... by a level or two... but there would still be a bar and they'd still complain that they couldn't get over it.

agreed for the most part.
Well considering it took me 3 leagues, with one character over level 85 in each, to see my first ever level 78 map drop I'd say drop rates are fine... really... FINE.

I have seen this mysterious cartographers box once in maps, of course it was in low level map, gave loads of level 69 maps though.

Now maybe after another thousand hours I have mappool deep enough to start playing that level 78 map, my precious.
I feel like most people that are salty about not being able to non-stop chain 78s have never non-stop chained 78s to realize how repetitive and boring it gets.
"

Now maybe after another thousand hours I have mappool deep enough to start playing that level 78 map, my precious.

If you don't play 78 maps on a daily basis, you'll not see to many of them. ;)

I just play 75-78 as they come in, without "building a map pool first", and I rarely drop out of them.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

How much do you know about the psychology of dry streaks?

That doesn't even make sense. Dry streaks don't have a psyche.

It seems that you didn't understand. A lot of people that complain about map pools don't have enough maps to resist dry streaks. Even if you do things right (there are good strategies after all), sometimes you can get unlucky.

It's not a thing about how people whine and want things easier, it's a thing about how devious the system is. It was designed so people can't sustain high level maps (that's the reason that you have only two level 78 maps), but with buffs like cartographers, Vaal Orbs and Zana, sustaining level 78 maps is possible for efficient players who trade a lot. And not for the rest.

I don't know what would be better than that. If the difficulty was the gating factor, we'd have the Maelstrom of Chaos situation again. Right now people blame RNG. Necessarily evil?

To the OP: people sustaining high level maps are so few that I don't think you'll be heard.
A proper challenge for you would be a nightmare for the rest.

The solution can't be a simple drop rate adjustment (up or down), this requires outside the box thinking.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
It was designed so people can't sustain high level maps (that's the reason that you have only two level 78 maps)

that is NOT the reason why there are only two different level 78 maps

the reason there are two different level 78 maps is that they were a release addition.

both tilesets are from act 3.x areas added in release, ie, palace (sceptre of god) and courtyard (gardens)

now if you said 77, youd have a point

I also fail to see why you call it a 'devious' design

the game clearly was meant to be a grinding game. if you can sustain 78 maps without a reasonable effort or reasonable time investment, then where the fuck is the grind ?
Someone got lucky with maps....
Last edited by NarraX1337 on Oct 29, 2014, 4:55:34 PM
Worst topic ever??

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info