[1.3 Video Guide] Tanky Beginners End-Game Viable Crit Ice-Shot-Puncture Build! [HC/SC Viable]

THE BUILD IS NOW UPDATED FOR THE NEW PATCH 1.3 !

Check out my 1.3 video-guide. This video will explain the details and help you get a better understanding of how this character works as well as showing in-game footage of how the build performs.

NOTE: If you watched the previous 1.2 video build-guide, then simply skip to the part where I cover the skill-tree progression in the new video.

The video can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqMoRFcqT8k&list=UU8tUILPcQ2y58pbumazRayA

What's up my exiles!?
Bow builds are popular at the moment, and for good reason! This will be my "official" Tanky Beginners Crit-Ice-shot-Puncture ranger build!
In this thread I will cover the most basic requirements of the build. To get a more detailed explanation on how the build works and needs to be set up, check out the link to my video-guide above.

This build is incredibly strong/solid compared to the currency you have to invest into it. As a matter of fact you can get away with nothing more than 3 4-linked pieces of equipment. This is what I am doing at the moment with this build and I am blazing through level 74+ maps.

This build is capable of running 78 maps and could potentially kill Atziri. The latter is not something I will discuss in this thread though.

First of all, what is this build and who is it suited for?

1. This build is designed for new players but also veterans to the game who wants a cheap, fun and effective/powerful build that will be able to farm end-game (75+ maps) content with relative ease.

2. Players who seek a simple and easy build to understand and play.

3. Fans of "Bow-builds" and Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat! (Yes he will beat Scorpions silly ass!)

4. A build that is both viable for hardcore as well as softcore.

5. People who prefer a build that has a video-guide linked to it.

Build mechanic introductions:

In short this build utilizes the aura Grace, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Ondar's guile and smart use of flasks. The finished build has a total of 160% increased total maximum life. That combined with you being able freeze and kite mobs efficiently makes this build very tanky and safe.

This build has a very high chance to evade and dodge attacks, additionally with the Ondar's Guile Keystone you become close to immune to reflect packs/maps. Not completely immune, but close to!

Skill-gems and setups?:

1. For your main attack you will be using Ice-Shot linked with Pierce, Physical Projectile Attack Damage, Weapon Elemental Damage and.

If you have a 5 or 6-linked armor/weapon I would suggest adding in either Increased Critical Damage and a quality Additional Accuracy skill-gem (quality on this gem will give you increased chance of getting a critical strike)

2. For the secondary attack we are using Puncture linked with Physical Projectile Attack Damage, Increased Critical Damage and either a quality additional accuracy skill-gem or Increased Critical Strikes. If you have a 5-link then use both!

3. To deal even more damage you should also be using a Herald of Ash linked with Increased Burning Damage, Elemental Proliferation and Reduced Mana

4. For additional defences we incorporate Cast When Damage Taken linked with Enduring Cry, Increased Duration and Immortal Call.

For farming level 70-75 maps I have found that I prefer my CWDT to be leveled as such. CWDT level 9, Enduring Cry level 10, Increased Duration 20/max and Immortal Call 9.

I am still debating whether or not I want to use this CWDT-setup, but for now it serves it's purpose.

5. For auras we will be running and Grace linked with Reduced Mana. If you are playing in a softcore league you can instead of using Grace use Hatred

6. For extra mobility and attack prowess we are using Vaal Haste linked Increased Duration.

7. Our curse of choice is Assassins Mark, and for lack of more space I have linked it together with Grace, Smoke Mine and Reduced Mana skill-gems.

Passive Skill-tree:

114 point full, finished build:

http://poeurl.com/y8oTl0I

Leveling skill trees:

28 passive skill-points:

http://poeurl.com/y8oTE8P

52 passive skill-points:

http://poeurl.com/y8oT1yo

85 passive skill-points:

http://poeurl.com/y8oUaDI

Bandit Quest Rewards
- Normal : Help Oak for 40+ life
- Cruel : Help Oak for 18% increased Physical damage
- Merciless: Kill them all for 1 extra skill point

Gearing and stat priorities

When you are resistance capped, this is the stats you should aim for

For defence: (Number 1 being the most important and number 5 the least important)

1. Life
2. Evasion
3. Strength/Intelligence
4. Chaos resistance

For offence:

1. Increased Physical Damage
2. Increased Critical Strike Chance/Critical Strike Multiplier
3. Increased Attack Speed
4. Additional Accuracy

This is my current gear:

Awesome, but not required uniques that greatly benefits this build:

COMING LATER - For now refer to the video

The above information serves as a rough guideline to get you started with the build. I recommend watching my video-guide, especially if you are new to the game, in the video I will explain some of the skills and how they work and how you should spend your skill points as you level through Wraeclast.

The video-guide can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqMoRFcqT8k&list=UU8tUILPcQ2y58pbumazRayA

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the build, but please do me the favor of watching the video first. It should explain a lot of the common questions you might have :)

Anyway, thank you for reading/watching guys. I'll see you for my next beginners guide!

Stay safe!

Kind Regards
Lifting
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
Last edited by LiftingNerdBro on Dec 12, 2014, 11:20:39 AM
Guys if you notice any typos, please do me the favour of letting me know :)
Alright, looks nice.

Great job as always Bro.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
Etherfire wrote:
Alright, looks nice.

Great job as always Bro.

Thanks man! :)
Another great guide bro!

Too bad I only play summoners :D
what if this were played as shadow/Duelist instead of ranger how will it turn out when finished
and if i were to play as a shadow or duelist ,,where should i start taking the nodes?
Last edited by Hectrix on Oct 24, 2014, 6:13:56 AM
"
Hectrix wrote:
what if this were played as shadow/Duelist instead of ranger how will it turn out when finished
and if i were to play as a shadow or duelist ,,where should i start taking the nodes?

Duelist and shadow are both viable options. For duelist you would simply pick up the projectile damage skill nodes and then head out into the rest of the tree by going through Fury Bolts.

For shadow you would simply pick up the physical damage skill nodes in the beginning until you reach the remaining part of the skill-tree :)
Feel free to ask if there are any more questions guys :)
Well: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Ign: Ohjeahx
"
Ohjeah wrote:
Well: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503

Ahh yea, the Chin Sol trap ice shot ranger. Pretty interesting. I prefer not using puncture traps though for my build :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info