JakeAlmightys LL Tank Wander - prepping for Hall of GRANDMASTERS! updated WIP

"
Chundadragon wrote:
Wand probs needs Lightning MTX to balance out the tempest shield, my 2 cents xD

You probs need the build tested vs. a crit Arc build and a 10 stack Flameblast to see if there is a chance to one-shot you or go really hard vs. the lack of spell defence as atm, build is the melee guy's worst nightmare.

1shotting him will be possible
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
@ Jake

Thank you for making such an interessting post about your take on creating a build for the "Hall of Grandmasters" I really enjoyed reading and thinkign about it.

I've you don't mind i'd like to share some thoughts with you guys here:

Your build seems quiet strong, but has a very obvious weakness - it can easily be chilled and frozen. Auxium will not be sufficient to solve this problem against high cold damage builds. Block won't help much because they can use block penetration like you do.
The strategie for this builds would be:
- temporal chains
- a cold spell (most likely cold snap / crit ice spear for off screening) + cold pen
- low life spectral throw with focus on cold damage

A cold spell will at least chill you for a long time with temp chains on you and will eventually "freeze lock" you to death.

To counterfit that issue there are two options. The easy one would be to change one of your rings for dream fragments to get the "can not be frozen" stat. The more glorious option would be get rid of crown of eyes and use alpha howl instead and pick up the crystal skin cluster to be completly immune to chilling and freezing effects. You lose a lot of dps giving uo crown of eyes but the kill on your Grandmaster can't be cheesed so easly any more.

Another thing is that your attacks can be completely mitigated by using the skill "frost wall". Your attacks deal huge damage, but they are not able to pierce - so your projectiles will be hold of from a wall of ice. Every spell user with a decent cast speed can fit it in his build easily to stop your attacks from hitting them. I don't think the AI will be smart or quick enough to bypass all the frost walls.
Counterfiting that is only possible by getting a pierce gem and/or some pierce passivs
The strategie builds will use in this case will be:
- temporal chains (slows your lighting warp down by a huge amount)
- using frostwall or frostwall totem or maybe both (they also can trap themselves in to be safe)
- using a skill which bypasses frostwall (for example crit firetrap)

The next thing that comes to my mind is that you are using blood rage. Blood rage is percentage degen of chaos damage. Since you are not CI it would be quit easily to cast vulnerability on you and maybe use a GMP-LMP-vaal lightning trap or simple arc to shock you while standing behind a frost wall. Your ES will degenerate rapidly while the attacker can go off screen, ran around and evade or stand behind a frostwall and simple watch your character die from the degen of bloodrage (the AI won't likely be smart enough to turn it off)
Since your Grandmaster can never be immune to curses and since you are low life you allways are susceptible to shock your build will eventually kill itself with blood rage on.
- Arc - curse on hit - vulnerability
- running around, doging, using frost wall
To counterfit that you can corrupt items to get "chance to avoid beeing shocked" and picking up crystal skin cluster, but keep in mind it despite doing all this you can never be completly immune to shock in this game (except you are wearing tricorne unique). So i simply would get rid of blood rage after all.

Your build seems to be doing great against:
- all kinds of attack based characters ranged and melee without RT etc.
- other low life characters and CI characters

Your build seems to be weak against:
- high effective life characters with lots of regen
- Melee + block penetration + RT or "your hits can't be evaded" mod
- spellcasters
- trapers

After this long post we see, that there exists a perfect counter for your build - surprisingly it is a current meta build too - Arc. I also can be done with Ball Lightning. HoI can be used for constantly chilling the Grandmaster too.

After all this writing i come to a conclusion. Low life characters will not the "optimum"/"hardest to beat" encounter in the "Hall of Grandmasters" after all - even if they are level 100 and were all mirrored gear. They have many weaknesses, which arn't all obvious at the first glance, but if you think a little, you will eventually see that Life based or hybrid based builds will have the egdge in most situations over an low life or CI character, when it comes to being able to beat a number of different builds.
No Power Charges needed

80% Crit + 40% Acc, with Inc Crit Chance Gem instead of PCoC
I can't wait for someone to make a legacy Arora max block cast on damage taken build for this. And make him have a Cast on Death link just for fun.
Does AI character use mana? Using a skill link that can only be sustained with blood magic/eldrich battery can be interesting.
IGN: Smegacore
Last edited by battled on Oct 18, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
"
Wiesl_1404 wrote:
@ Jake

Thank you for making such an interessting post about your take on creating a build for the "Hall of Grandmasters" I really enjoyed reading and thinkign about it.

I've you don't mind i'd like to share some thoughts with you guys here:

Your build seems quiet strong, but has a very obvious weakness - it can easily be chilled and frozen. Auxium will not be sufficient to solve this problem against high cold damage builds. Block won't help much because they can use block penetration like you do.
The strategie for this builds would be:
- temporal chains
- a cold spell (most likely cold snap / crit ice spear for off screening) + cold pen
- low life spectral throw with focus on cold damage

A cold spell will at least chill you for a long time with temp chains on you and will eventually "freeze lock" you to death.

To counterfit that issue there are two options. The easy one would be to change one of your rings for dream fragments to get the "can not be frozen" stat. The more glorious option would be get rid of crown of eyes and use alpha howl instead and pick up the crystal skin cluster to be completly immune to chilling and freezing effects. You lose a lot of dps giving uo crown of eyes but the kill on your Grandmaster can't be cheesed so easly any more.

Another thing is that your attacks can be completely mitigated by using the skill "frost wall". Your attacks deal huge damage, but they are not able to pierce - so your projectiles will be hold of from a wall of ice. Every spell user with a decent cast speed can fit it in his build easily to stop your attacks from hitting them. I don't think the AI will be smart or quick enough to bypass all the frost walls.
Counterfiting that is only possible by getting a pierce gem and/or some pierce passivs
- temporal chains (slows your lighting warp down by a huge amount)
- using frostwall or frostwall totem or maybe both (they also can trap themselves in to be safe)
- using a skill which bypasses frostwall (for example crit firetrap)

The next thing that comes to my mind is that you are using blood rage. Blood rage is percentage degen of chaos damage. Since you are not CI it would be quit easily to cast vulnerability on you and maybe use a GMP-LMP-vaal lightning trap or simple arc to shock you while standing behind a frost wall. Your ES will degenerate rapidly while the attacker can go off screen, ran around and evade or stand behind a frostwall and simple watch your character die from the degen of bloodrage (the AI won't likely be smart enough to turn it off)
Since your Grandmaster can never be immune to curses and since you are low life you allways are susceptible to shock your build will eventually kill itself with blood rage on.
- Arc - curse on hit - vulnerability
- running around, doging, using frost wall
To counterfit that you can corrupt items to get "chance to avoid beeing shocked" and picking up crystal skin cluster, but keep in mind it despite doing all this you can never be completly immune to shock in this game (except you are wearing tricorne unique). So i simply would get rid of blood rage after all.

Your build seems to be doing great against:
- all kinds of attack based characters ranged and melee without RT etc.
- other low life characters and CI characters

Your build seems to be weak against:
- high effective life characters with lots of regen
- Melee + block penetration + RT or "your hits can't be evaded" mod
- spellcasters
- trapers

After this long post we see, that there exists a perfect counter for your build - surprisingly it is a current meta build too - Arc. I also can be done with Ball Lightning. HoI can be used for constantly chilling the Grandmaster too.

After all this writing i come to a conclusion. Low life characters will not the "optimum"/"hardest to beat" encounter in the "Hall of Grandmasters" after all - even if they are level 100 and were all mirrored gear. They have many weaknesses, which arn't all obvious at the first glance, but if you think a little, you will eventually see that Life based or hybrid based builds will have the egdge in most situations over an low life or CI character, when it comes to being able to beat a number of different builds.

hi Wiesl,

first off thank you for the great post. I'll respond to a couple of yours points with stuff I'd like to try out but first i want to reiterate my opening part of the build -

there is no way to build a character to actually win against PVP players who adapt their build to your GM. It's not possible. Whatever your character is weak to, they will switch into their answers to you and they will dominate. This is exacerbated by the fact that these people will take on the map in groups, they will have different builds and every counter available to them, and it is just completely impossible to keep any advantage.

This is displayed especially in the flasks - Temporal Chains is obviously utterly devastating to a lot of builds (including this one) but the fact is I can't use an anti-curse flask. I decided not to even bother including Temp Chains in my setup because every single player who meets him WILL have that flask and it will do nothing.

The truth in the end, is that anybody who has PVPed a lot and actively counters peoples builds as they go is going to easily cruise through the Hall of GMs without trouble. Among other counters, anybody who can land a Bear Trap on this GM has him dead whenever they like, even just temp chains will be lethal if they are prepared to bypass her defenses. (ie they can just EK spam her dead at that point) There is nothing that can be done about this, because you can't be invincible to everything in PVP.

So I don't plan on beating those people - there is no point. Instead we build vs normal players from average gear to expensive gear, who are in PvE setups and are mostly going to be trying to beat the map without switching up too much stuff. They don't carry a large pile of gems to swap in and out in their inventory, and they certainly don't have a very firm grasp of what they should do to counter something they start to fail against. This is what I mean by being a "Raid Boss" rather than a PVP player with an AI. A big boss in an MMO always has strategies that counter him, if the players do the correct things, they will win. The same is true here.

I do agree that lowlife is not the style of play with the "least weaknesses" as it were - but it is the group of builds that I play so I'll be staying within that realm. If I ever do actual PVP seriously (apparently the PVP seasons are actually coming at long last) then that will not be all low life ofc. (but that is a whole different thing, where one side is not gimped out of flasks and unable to swap his skills in any way)

On to your suggestions - I like the Alpha Howl idea. I will check out what kind of dps I can hit without CoE on and if it's tenable that could be an excellent way to address the freezing problem. Dream Fragments is problematic as I currently cap my resistances with the rings, as well as it offering much needed mana regeneration and also dps. The spell damage on Onslaught Song would go to waste, but it's not a big deal in the end.

The 6l is open to revision. (skills that have been suggested to me in the last few hours - Barrage/Power Siphon/Elemental Hit) Pierce is certainly something to think about, were it real PVP I feel like it's something I'd rather carry in inventory and then (ie) swap it in as soon as I see Ice Walls start coming down. Alas we don't have that luxury - it may be safer to include it, at the same time a good chunk of the playerbase has not a clue that Frost Wall is even a skill worth having a gem for.

Spell casters and trappers are the biggest weaknesses I identified in my own build, and I'm not 100% sure whether it is worth devoting precious resources/space to trying to shore it up. It is difficult to get much spell block in this setup, and we are unable to push our elemental resists very far above cap as we can't use topaz/ruby/sapphire etc.

thank you for the feedback though, let's do what we can to shore up the weak spots. (starting with I'll look into the alpha's howl plan) I think in the end though we just have to accept that anybody willing to counter you (vs an opponent who is unable to adapt to the ruleset) is going to be able to win fairly easily.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an
"
battled wrote:
I can't wait for someone to make a legacy Arora max block cast on damage taken build for this. And make him have a Cast on Death link just for fun.
Does AI character use mana? Using a skill link that can only be sustained with blood magic/eldrich battery can be interesting.

they do use mana. BM + MC is not an option for low life for this reason as it cannot be sustained without flasks in a pvp setting.
Jake did you check the tree w/o power charges?
Im curious why you chose barrage? Typically in PvP I see people who use projectile based attacks support them with GMP or LMP as it can be rather difficult to hit a fast moving target with a single projectile. I know barrage has a bit of a spread to it but its still no where near the coverage of other projectile based attacks with multiple projectile supports. Add that to the fact that you has to stand still to channel barrage and I think thats going to be your characters main weakness.

IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Ceratoidei wrote:
Jake did you check the tree w/o power charges?

hey, yes. I'm trying to reconcile it with a few other changes I'm trying to make and see if it works.

"
Im curious why you chose barrage? Typically in PvP I see people who use projectile based attacks support them with GMP or LMP as it can be rather difficult to hit a fast moving target with a single projectile. I know barrage has a bit of a spread to it but its still no where near the coverage of other projectile based attacks with multiple projectile supports. Add that to the fact that you has to stand still to channel barrage and I think thats going to be your characters main weakness.

no particular reason, except that it's very high dps without needing a lot of support in that regard.

I'm trying out Power Siphon and Elemental Hit now as well - both as single targets and using LMP.
Cold Penetration just came up my mind...
if you run hatred it could be insane

But just for Elemental Hit/PS
Barrage is not able to freeze anything

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info