[2.3.0] Tanky axe cyclone (2H) High dps/AoE - Hardcore / Atziri viable

Old version(s) in spoilers below

I have high hopes for Slayer, that 40% increased area of effect, 20% more damage and 20% culling is amazing. it might just make cyclone a competitive skill again!
The "guide" wont be very fleshed out but all the info will be there

My current level 100 skill tree
Level 87 tree, 210% life

So, what really changed? first of Slayer which grants an amazing 40% aoe, 20% more damage 20% cull and about 60% increased damage.
And secondly,

I'm not a fan of mana based, it works, but you have to pay attention to your mana or you may run out and be a sitting duck at times. Essence Worm gives you all the benefits of keystone blood magic (extra gem link, massive amount of life and no mana leech required) with (almost) none of the downsides (no auras)

You do lose a bit of flat life and res but that's 100% worth it in my opinion.

Gem links.

Cyclone
Melee Physical Damage
Increased Area of Effect (concentrated effect for stuff like Atziri)
Added Fire Damage
Weapon Elemental Damage
Faster attacks / fortify

Hatred in essence worm

Cast When Damage Taken
Immortal Call
Warlords Mark
Increased Duration

Immortal call isn't that important, the idea is to run a Lightning Coil and Taste of Hate endgame, that with up to 300% life is more than enough physical mitigation (also a ton of damage from Taste of HatE)

Leap slam
Faster attacks

The rest you can fill in yourself, for example

Vaal Haste
Vaal Cyclone
Another Cast When Damage Taken setup with Arctic Breath and Greater Multiple Projectiles (chill)
Vaal Grace and other utility skills.

(my) example gear

Spoiler
I will be testing... something new.. when Ascendancy hits. So the new spec won't be here right away. though the exact same spec as a Marauder Berserker will work perfectly.

So 2.0 changed up the build a lot, i feel like the old spec was not good enough to do 80+ (rare) maps reliably, time for an update, made an extremely (relatively) tanky 2h spec. and it still does plenty of damage (up to but not limited to 170k without temporary buffs)

Normal Oak
Cruel Kraityn
Merciless Oak

6 link, weapon or chest. in order of importance
Or
Instead of concentrated effect when you don't need the extreme damage. you can also change fortify for weapon elemental damage, if you feel like you don't need it.

Unlike the older version, we do not run cast when damage taken immortal call, instead i selfcast enduring cry. endurance charges are incredibly effective with other mitigation, such as lightning coil.

4 link

We run Hatred and Herald of ash, for Elemental Weakness maps you can turn off Herald of Ash and run Purity of Elements instead, unless you are resist capped in from gear with Elemental Weakness

Finally, we use a low level Cast When Damage Taken and Warlords Mark for 2% extra leech.

No specific uniques are required except Lightning Coil if you want to do the tanky version.

My gear for example (don't mind the gems)

Offensive and Defensive stats
Damage per second values are currently outdated, these screenshots are from before the tooltip fix patch. the actual damage per second is around 1.8 times higher.

Defense with 6 endurance charges

Offense with blood rage and 3 frenzy charges

Cyclone hits twice per spin, so the actual dps is twice the tooltip.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Cyclone's DPS display is wrong. It does not account for the fact cyclone hit's twice per attack duraiton rather than once like a regular skill. Thus it willb e displaying half the actual DPS value.

Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Fortify - Added Fire Damage - Concentrated effect

Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Fortify - Added Fire Damage - Increased area of effect

Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Weapon Elemental damage- Added Fire Damage - Concentrated effect

Cyclone - Blood Magic - Melee Physical Damage - Weapon Elemental damage- Added Fire Damage - Concentrated effect And Atziri's Promise + Taste of Hate +Onslaught

To be added.

Atziri run.

Images taken from Nicebuilds.com
Last edited by Eleziel on May 31, 2016, 3:08:50 PM
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 3:11:20 PM
You can spec Sovereignty 6% mana reserved with 12% aura effect nodes and use Hatred +Herald of Ash and+ Haste or Grace.
"
Brayzz wrote:
You can spec Sovereignty 6% mana reserved with 12% aura effect nodes and use Hatred +Herald of Ash and+ Haste or Grace.

Indeed, though i don't feel like Grace makes a big difference without evasion nodes or Iron reflexes, same thing for Haste but with aura nodes. i chose to use Vitality because i have such a high amount of life, it's all preference.
Last edited by Eleziel on Oct 16, 2014, 8:41:03 AM
dude put 20q on your blood magic :D
"
Ceratoidei wrote:
dude put 20q on your blood magic :D

I'm never lowlife so it won't do anything for me,then again the mana cost isn't that bad.
I run a similar build, except my tree/gear is a bit different, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

My passive tree
Differences being:
  • 45% less life
  • 70% more phys damage
  • 100 more dex
  • 40 more int
  • iron reflexes
  • 6% more attack speed
  • less chaos resistance
  • +10 all resistances
  • movement speed not impaired by gear

Also run a 5L in my carcass jack with a 20/20 vulnerability gem linked with CWDT+Frostnova+curse-on-hit for more damage, would also work with a 4L

alpha howl for 8% less mana reservation for running two 60% auras + 25% aura

since i always run carcass jack + quality cyclone, I always run conc effect, never have to bother switching it, and still have +22% AoE modifier on cyclone overall.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
"
Zeekin wrote:
I run a similar build, except my tree/gear is a bit different, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

My passive tree
Differences being:
  • 45% less life
  • 70% more phys damage
  • 100 more dex
  • 40 more int
  • iron reflexes
  • 6% more attack speed
  • less chaos resistance
  • +10 all resistances
  • movement speed not impaired by gear

Also run a 5L in my carcass jack with a 20/20 vulnerability gem linked with CWDT+Frostnova+curse-on-hit for more damage, would also work with a 4L

alpha howl for 8% less mana reservation for running two 60% auras + 25% aura

since i always run carcass jack + quality cyclone, I always run conc effect, never have to bother switching it, and still have +22% AoE modifier on cyclone overall.

Eventually i'll run both conc effect and inc area of effect when i get a 6 link.

Your build is a bit easier on gear but how much life do you have? for me this is the first time playing melee without block, evasion or dodge in a long time and some damage spikes are scary even with 5k+ life

Do you run blood rage/mings with the lower chaos resist and life regen?

On the auras, at the top left life nodes i can spend 2 passives to run the second 60%, though i don't feel like it is worth it atm.
Last edited by Eleziel on Oct 17, 2014, 1:31:50 AM
level 87 with about 4.6k life, I do use mings/bloodrage. Grace + IR helps a bit with incoming damage, gives a nice boost to armour.

I rely on quick kill speed, and spam

flasks constantly for extra DPS/movement speed, the movement speed boost while cycloning helps avoid a lot of damage and the dps is high enough that stuff dies in the first pass.

Deaths do happen but not very often, mostly due either to desync or trying to do ridiculous map mods like palace dom with extra projectiles or something.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
"
Zeekin wrote:
level 87 with about 4.6k life, I do use mings/bloodrage. Grace + IR helps a bit with incoming damage, gives a nice boost to armour.

I rely on quick kill speed, and spam

flasks constantly for extra DPS/movement speed, the movement speed boost while cycloning helps avoid a lot of damage and the dps is high enough that stuff dies in the first pass.

Deaths do happen but not very often, mostly due either to desync or trying to do ridiculous map mods like palace dom with extra projectiles or something.

Yep, the high DPS uptime from the high aoe makes it very nice to use quicksilvers, i'll probably use 2 and a rumi's. it also makes you surprisingly tanky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpIju0hTUI4&list=UUo_IUoaSWcKKz37ly9SQ1GA

If anyone is interested, I actually did a very similar build. Here is the video for how that turned out (I just sorta used a flickerstrike build i was already rocking, so passives are not 100% ideal)
Last edited by Gunitiwa on Oct 17, 2014, 7:33:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info