[1.2] Conan Reborn (2h Sword Cyclone, 60k+ tooltip with "normal gear", 5L, no Abyssus)

Introduction

In this build, I combine a couple of things I like in this game...

Crit on a Sword
I like Crit on non-crit weapons. You'll not get 95% chance to crit like on Daggers, but that doesn't bother me.
Having 95% crit means, crits replace your "normal hits".
Having 30-40% crit and 500%+ crit multiplier however means: you'll do your normal damage, enough to kill most monsters quite quickly, but then you'll get those big damage explosions. "Bamm, you all dead!" I find that to be a very satisfying gameplay experience. ;)

Also: it's way more DpS than going for Resolute Technique.
There's only so much affixes a weapon can roll, and Crit chance/multi don't stand in the way of anything too useful. Same goes for other gear, crit stuff is more expensive, but it's not too difficult to gear up a character for crit without neglecting the rest of useful stuff (life, resists etc).

A twohanded build
I haven't played one in a while, and wanted to check if I can handle a non-block melee build.
It's very "manly" and does a lot of damage, I like.
Also: twohanded swords are rarely used and therefor not really expensive.

Mana for Cyclone
Cyclone is usually combined with Soultaker or a Blood Magic gem because it is a very expensive skill. I however wanted to try running it on mana. This comes at a cost, but it also allows for more DpS (gem slots are DpS, and a 500DpS sword does more DpS than 300 DpS Soultaker).
I'll get into this later, but the skilltree actually provides a lot of help for "mana issues", and in the end, Cyclone can be run without too much adaptation.

---

This build also has great potential to "show people how it's done".

"qq my twohanded build can't block, gimme block"
Take Acrobatics, that's about as good as block.

"qq my twohanded build does no damage"
Drop your disgusting Blood Magic, Life leech or Life gain on hit gems and stop crying.

"qq buff Resolute Technique I have no DpS"
Why take it then?

"qq reduce cyclone mana cost"
How about... you reduce it yourself?

"qq my armor rating is not enough and I get destroyed lategame"
Then why would you want armor?

It's a bit crazy (and definetly not 100% a great idea) to implement all of this stuff in one build, but it can be done, and it has the advantage that I only have to link to one thread whenever someone is crying about game balance.

Skilltree/explanation
Spoiler
103 points

This is the "skeleton" of the build.
It provides most of the stuff a 2h sword user needs.

+195% life - as a 2h sword user, better have 6k life, not 4k.
+60 Intelligence (and the option for two +30 Int nodes) - for the blue gems.
+2% life leech - has been moved from Marauder to Shadow, but...
"If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain."

+365% crit chance - this will lead to about 30-40% crit on a sword with a good crit affix, depending on gear etc. That's not as good as daggers get, but I enjoy my crits, and it's more damage than RT.
+205% crit multiplier - oh yeah. ;)
+92% accuracy - makes it quite easy to stay in the comfort zone of 85-90% chance to hit.
+44% attackspeed (with Cruel Kraytin) - not too crazy, but I think it's enough, especially because Cyclone and faster attcks both provide more attackspeed.
+250% damage - not too high, but crit will more than make up for that.

---

Now we need a defense strategy.
The layout is designed to provide two pretty sexy options.
You can combine them, but probably only at the cost of damage or when being level 100.

1. Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics/Ondar's Guile (6-9 points)
A twohander can't block, good thing there is Dodge (that's pretty much the same).
You can still wear armor gear if so desired, but it will be pretty useless if not buffed with a "Granite Flask of Iron Skin". And even then, it won't be too great.
So better go for Evasion.
I wouldn't go crazy on evasion however, don't invest too many skillpoints or use Grace.
If you want to buff your Evasion rating, take:
Survivalist - 3 points for +14% elemental resists, +48% Evasion, +1% max cold resist.
But you don't have to evade everything, you have a big ass life pool for a reason. So ~30% evade chance (60% against nasty projectile attacks) will be fine.

2. Potency of Will/Exceptional Performance (6-8 points)
+90% Skill Effect Duration (and the Endurance Charge at Templar +Oak Merciless) will provide a pretty long Immortal Call.
Selfcast "Enduring Cry + Spell Echo" and "Immortal Call + Increased Duration" for immunity against physical damage. This even allows the use of Abyssus for an insane damage boost.
(Obviously option one also makes use of IC, but not as effective)

---

The next step is... Dealing with Mana.
Cyclone has a crazy base mana cost, the most efficient way is to simply reduce it (if you want to avoid the blood magic gem).
Again, the tree layout is designed for a couple of options:
Dynamo: +20% mana, -12% mana cost at 3 points (left of Scion).
Mental fortitude: -20% mana cost at 3 points (between Marauder and Templar).
-7% mana cost at one point left of "Amplify" (in the Templar zone).
Versatility: -10% mana cost, already in the "skeleton" (at Marauder).
Mind Drinker - 20% mana, 2% mana leech, 10 intelligence at 3 points (right of Shadow).

You don't need all of this. If done right or stuck with a 5-Link, you will hopefully need none of it. But the options are granted, and especially during levelling, these nodes can be super helpful.

---

Those are more skillpoints than I have at Level 100!
Yes. We don't take all of it. We don't even take the full "skeleton".
In the skeleton, I recommend to skip those two, if skipping is needed:
Heartseeker: still good, but a bit low crit chance and multiplier
Slashing Comeback: that's nice damage and accuracy, but you don't have to go all the way. The normal, non-notable points along the way are pretty good and sufficient.
Whenever your Accuracy rating drops out of the "comfort zone", invest a skillpoint here.

As for the rest: take and drop what you feel is good for your character and gear.
Like:
"Get hit too often" - up your Evasion
"Can't sustain Cyclone" - temporarily take some of the related nodes
"Can't level up my crit damage gem" - temporarily take a +30 Int node.

Later on in the guide, you will find a couple of skilltree adapations I did at the current level.

If you want to do this build as a Duelist, you'll probably get better results because the starting nodes are better. Here's a tree:
113 points duelist version
"Mana flows" should do the same as the -10% mana cost in Marauder (in the end, increased mana pool and reduced mana cost are not too different), and you gain +2 weapon range, +12 attack speed and some evasion rating (probably some damage, too).

It's an overall better tree, I guess, but it takes more skillpoints to get all the good stuff.
And you have to wear a red shirt. I hate wearing a red shirt.

---

Bandit Quest
Spoiler

Normal:
Help Oak for 40 life. I didn't do the math with the new life mechanism, maybe a 6% life node is better than +40 life now, but I doubt.

Cruel:
Help Kraytin for 8% attack speed (Oak's 18% damage will do as well, but probably lead to less DpS).

Merciless:
Oak's Endurance Charge for Immortal Call, Alira's Powercharge for Assassin's mark, Kraytin's Frenzy when you are using blood rage, or simply the skillpoint. It's all fine.

---

Skill Setup
Spoiler

Main Attack:
(in sword or torso)
Cyclone (20q: AoE!)
+melee physical damage
+concentrated effect (20q: 15% mana cost reduction!!!)
+increased critical damage (20q: insane damage buff!)
+faster attacks
+6th gem:
Power charge on crit/increased critical strikes/added fire damage/increased AoE/Life gain on hit
(listed in order of mana multiplier, from low to high)

Mobility/Culling/Utility:
(in helmet, boots or gloves)
Leap Slam
+faster attacks
+culling strike
+item rarity

Or, also pretty nice:
Leap Slam
+faster attacks
+curse on hit
+Assassin's Mark

If you have a spare 5L, take on eof these options and add "Life gain on hit" or "blind".
If you even have a spare 6L, combine both options (cull/rarity and curse on hit/Assassin).

Auras:
(in helmet, boots or gloves)
Reduced mana
+Hatred
+Herald of Ash
+Clarity Lvl 1-5

Clarity is not required 100%, but pretty helpful. You can swap Hatred for Grace on some maps, but I didn't have to yet.

Selfcast Enduring Cry - Immortal Call
(two 3-Links, maybe in sword or torso)
Enduring Cry
+Spell Echo
+increased AoE (or a Curse*)
Immortal Call
+increased Duration
+Enhance (or Molten Shell or Vaal Grace)

Trigger Solution for the lazy people
(two 4-Links)
Low-Level Cast when damage taken
+Enduring Cry
+increased AoE
+Curse*
High-Level Cast when damage taken
+Immortal Call
+increased Duration
+Enhance (or Molten Shell or Vaal Grace)

Curse
Take one of:
Assassin's mark - nice mana on kill, monsters take more and higher crits, grants power charges
It's an amazing skill, while not doing as much damage as the old "Critical Weakness", it has gained a lot of utility.

Enfeeble/Temporal Chains - strong defensive curses

---

Gear
Spoiler

First of all:
No Uniques are required.
But if you want to use them and can handle them, here's a couple:
Abyssus - insane damage
Rat's nest - nice crit stuff in helmet slot
Maligaro's Gloves - more crit stuff, this time in glove slot
Atziri's Acuity - for the insanely rich people
Atziri's step - Nice evasion, life and spelldodge, unfortunatly no resists
Meginord's girdle/Atziri Belt/Belly of the Beast/Lightning Coil - useful as usual

Sword
High physical damage, high additional crit, ideally also crit multiplier.
Like this baby:

Armor pieces
Cover most of your Life and Resists. Ideally also: mana, life/mana leech, accuracy, intelligence.

Jewelry/belt
Cover the rest of Life/Resist issues. Couple that with damage, crit, mana, life/mana leech, accuracy. Can get pretty expensive if you want it all, but you can sometimes get nice jewelry very cheap.

---

Character Screen / Gear /Tree (Level 80)
Spoiler

Current Tree
I'm currently using the "Dynamo" Cluster to smoothly Cyclone all day long.
Next goal will be Amplify and the 7% mana reduction next to it (at that point I'll probably respec out of Dynamo).
I went for the Ondar's/Acrobatics option as defensive approach, works nicely so far.

Gear

Amulet and sword are amazing, the rest is pretty cheap stuff.

Stats

That's some sexy DpS for Cyclone. ;)
And gems are still quite low-level.

---

Character Screen / Gear /Tree (Level 87)
Spoiler

Current Tree
I removed one of the 20% health clusters to reach Amplify and Deft Blade quicker. Sitting "only" on +175% life that way, but it feels fine. I rarely die, and most of my deaths are my own fault.
The next 3 levels will offer one of these:
+3 life nodes
+50% crit, 25% crit multi
"Dynamo" again, so I can easily support a 6L.

Gear

I bought the cheapest still a bit useful 6L I could find.
Currently I'm using "increased critical strikes" as 6th gem as it has a very low mana multiplier and still gives me around 8k DpS.
I'm planning on using "increased AoE" instead one day.
I also tried to 6L my sword, didn't make it, but I got another 5L at least (I don't really care if it's 4L or 5L, the blind gem isn't too important).

Stats

Most of the DpS gain compared to the Lvl80 screen comes from the last 7 passives (most of them were damage) and gem levels.
With 3 power charges, I gain another 10k DpS.
(That's where the "60k+DpS on a 5L" in the thread title is coming from. Remove iCS gem (so it is a 5L), but add 3-4 power charges from assassins mark, and it's 60k+ DpS)

---

And then I found a freaking Shavronne's Wrappings and suddenly had a ton of Exalts to spend. :)

Character Screen / Gear /Tree (Level 88)
Spoiler

Current Tree
I'll probably just invest in life from now on. There's enough life nodes left to keep me busy for a while.

---

Gear

I wanted to buy a better sword, but it looks like there is none available on the market that is better rolled than mine. The DpS is among the best, and none of the others have crit.
Even on Standard, it's hard to find a non-mirrored replacement (think there's like 1 sword for about 100 Ex that would be better).

So instead I spent a ton of pixel currency on high resist gear and a 6L Lightning Coil, for some sexy (40% converted to lightning damage * 75% lightning resist = ) 30% damage reduction.

While I was at it, I also spent a bunch of chromatics and alterations to finally get "Vaal Grace" involved and to improve my flask setup a bit.
I now have "removes shock, freeze, curse, bleeding", and a pretty nice movement flask.
It's still not 100% perfect (I want "Surgeon's" on the resist flasks and "Seething" on both life flasks), but it will do for now.

The last step will be the rings.
I want more resists, so I can play around with unique options (rat's nest, abyssus, romira's banquet).
But the rings are selffound and I kinda like them, so I'll keep them for a while. ;)

After that, all that's left to do is: get a mirror or remove the crafted mod from the sword eternal/ex a better %damage roll. Wish me luck on both. ;)

But the char is pretty much done, he is very safe to play, tanky enough to dick around with the monsters in 78 maps (like pick stuff up while they shoot/hit me or not die while being desynched for a couple of seconds), and he's definetly strong enough to kill anything.

Stats

"Added fire damage" does about 4-5k more DpS and scales better with gem levels (Increased Critical Strikes scales horribly, I gain like 30 DpS per gem level ^^). I still prefer to use it, because I want to see more Crits.
For easy content (maps <75), I swap Conc Effect for the Item rarity gem in the sword.

---

Map mods
Spoiler

Blood Magic
Your clearspeed is reduced (no DpS auras), otherwise not an issue.

Physical Reflect
Can be done because Cyclone only has 40% damage efficiency, but it's still a bit nasty.
At least drop the crit damage gem for item rarity/increased AoE/increased critical strikes. I prefer to simply dodge it.
When facing reflect mobs in normal maps, just be careful you're not cycloning the whole pack at the same time. Usually IC triggers once you start murdering them, and qhile it's active, murder the rest of the pack.

Half/No regen
Can probably be done with Mana flasks and careful play, though I'd rather dodge.

Seriously nasty/annoying mods
I guess you can judge for yourself whether or not you can beat double Dominus on a multiple projectile minus max resist cursed with vulnerability map or not. ;)
Same goes for annyoing stuff like "Temporal Chains" or "Ice Ground".
It's no different to other builds, those mods are tough and/or annoying, and you'll have to see whether you want to play them or not.

Brutal bosses
Torture Chamber/Crematorium: gear checks. I usually get them killed before they even start their shit.
Dominus (74)/Vaal(74)/Piety (71/77): Facetankable with Topaz Flask, with 5k life you can actually take their "One Shot".
Merveil (75): Facetankable. Double version gets a bit crazy, better bring a cold resist flask.
Dominus (78): pretty brutal, I need a bit more tactics and dodging than in the 74 version, but it's kind of ok to do.

Other bosses: they are just food.

Atziri: I ignore this content as I'm not a fan of how it is gated.
But as builds like this dualwield crit 1h sword cyclone build claim to "smash" her with less life, less defenses and less DpS, I'd say, you can probably do it if you want. Have never tried her, so I can't tell much about it.

---

General Playstyle
Spoiler

Cyclone
I prefer to use Cyclone in short, controlled spins.
This costs mana on each activation, but it's not an issue to support it as long as you are in mana leech range.

When you click far away, yes, you save mana, but you cannot abandon the spinning, and crazy shit can happen sometimes. I don't like crazy shit when I cannot react to it.

When you see stunning monsters charging you (Rhoas or Black Guards), spin right into them. You're immune to knockback/stun during cyclone, and they simply get killed. Love this.

Leap Slam
...is a super important tool.
The lvl 4 clarity I'm running allows infinite Leap Slams, and I use it almost as often as my main attack!

Leap Slam refills mana due to mana leech if you were spinning in monster-empty locations for whatever reasons.

Leap Slam crits actually kill most monsters in <75 maps.

Leap Slam gets you in better Cyclone positions.

Leap Slam activates "CWDT+IC" in reflect packs for you.
You have to take the initial reflect damage, and LS does less damage, so it doesn't kill you, but it still does enough to trigger a high level CWDT.

Leap Slam gets you out of trouble (like being caught between small ground obstacles, the Marauder sometimes refuses to spin or even move for whatever reasons).

Leap Slam forces "rubberbands". When Desynch occurs, and it will, you can spam Leap Slam to force the server to reposition the Marauder to his actual position (not the one your computer suggested). This even lets you avoid using a Desynch macro.

Depending on what setup you chose for Leap Slam, it also curses monsters or culls them for more loot. Sweet! :)

And of course, I use Leap Slam to maneuver quickly around the maps.

---

Videos
Spoiler

My PC is super old and it lags as hell while I'm recording.
So forgive me for horrible gameplay and not uploading super crazy fights.

Click me
Residence Dominus with +30% damage, frenzy charges (rest of map mods don't matter here).
I wait a bit on health potions to see how hard he hurts. Yep, he hurts a bit. Could have probably used my Topaz flask, too. ;)

Click me
Double Shipyard boss, some other mods. Was laggy as hell.

Click me
Merciless Piety, just for the lolz. I love how she tries to run from my mighty Cyclone Smash! ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 29, 2014, 2:17:27 PM
Added two chapters, map mods and general playstyle.

The amount of feedback one gets in this subforum never fails to astonish me. ;)
xmm in ur skill tree u dont have acrobatics and phase acrobatics but u are using all evasion gear,and in defence tooltip u have 40% dodge and 30% spell dodge,i asume u took those 2 passives after all?
Nvm i see that u took them in explanation section.
I was thinking doing this build but with an axe,cause the only thing i got that is good dps is:

Last edited by Restekpa on Oct 17, 2014, 3:22:19 PM
When using this axe, you're probably better off using a complete different skilltree, as this is not an axe suited for crit.

Either safe up to buy a more suitable axe, or go for another build, there's no reason to combine this.

The parts you can take of this guide is mana and acrobatics, but better skip the crit stuff.
Maybe like this: 104 points tree

But I'd probably just use another axe. And I'd also probably choose a completly different tree if I were to use an axe. ;)
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 17, 2014, 3:40:15 PM
Why do u think it would need different tree?Ofc i would swap for axe nodes ;d.Mb something like this would be ok?'

Its a little bit different but skeleton is kinda same.Ofc i can buy some other axe,or even sword if i would like to run ur build completely.
The thing is,with RT i just dont know dmg seems kinda low dps so i would like some crits.I first thought of doing this build:
Last edited by Restekpa on Oct 17, 2014, 4:07:08 PM
I just bought this one do u think its worth 30 chaos?
It has no crit roll, so again, I wouldn't use it for my build.
You'll end up with ~20% crit chance. That's not enough.

Other than that, it has a bit low physical DpS (395), but it has a 5 Link.
So it's not a particularly bad weapon, but I would not have paid 30 chaos for it.
I'd put it at maybe 5-10 chaos for being a decent levelling weapon, plus 5 for the links.

Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 18, 2014, 4:12:57 AM
I am always overpaying...now i am depressed...reason why i paid it so much is because on poe.xyz the price was about 40 chaos so i thought it would be a good deal,guess price was overrated...
Price on poe.xyz.is is always overrated. This site shows the items that are not sold, so you can always cut them.
But don't worry... that happens to everyone. We're all "overpaying" from time to time.
Hell, I even may be wrong about the price, maybe that thing is worth 30 chaos.
Don't think about it too much, it's all just pixels.

---

Level 85 now, and the gems are all slowly levelling at Lvl 17-18/20q.
Cyclone Tooltip is now >40k, with 3 powercharges >50k. :)

Tendency going up...
If I judge it correctly, I'll get to about 60k Cyclone DpS with a 5L at lvl 90... Cool, that's a number I usually only see on mirror gear cyclone builds. :)
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 19, 2014, 3:01:31 PM
figued id chime in at your request :P

some note's from my experiance: a good high str/life rustic is better than a meginord's and can help fill in resistance's

atziri's step's are awesomesauce w/ acrobatic's, a max spell dodge roll combined w/ phase acrobatic's=46% spell dodge

Daresso's Defiance is also another chest option giving you more attack dodge and endurance charge's on kill, so when you DO get hit it's not as life altering

twitch.tv/jfpforever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info