Path of Exile's December PvP Update

Concerns about PvP balance are understandable, as are those about how changes made in pursuit of same might have unintended and undesired consequences for the rest of the game. The idea of PvP-focused leagues does present opportunity for what I believe to be a reasonable solution. In such a hypothetical league the following rules might be in effect:

*characters start at level X, with the appropriate number of skill points to invest as they wish;
*XP is not gained in this league;
*the world consists of the 'town' and series of arenas, handled similarly to the existing examples;
*because of the above, drops and loot do not exist, and are therefore non-factors;
*gear (flasks, weapons, armor, and gems) can be requisitioned from the quartermasters in town;
*requisitioned gear is all of common quality and appropriate for the abovenoted default level;
*because of the absence of orbs, modifying gear is done at benches in town, which collect all the mods associated with the masters, as well as additional ones that mimic orbs' effects.

"But wait," comes an obvious question, "how does one pay for all these requisitions and crafting?" Answer: favor (or, if you will, requisition points). In addition to the skill points, every player starts with a pool of RPs for their initial purchases. How do you get more? Through defeating other players, naturally.

The structure of this league means that while it doesn't have to end (like Beyond and Onslaught will), you can have special queues available for limited times... for example, there might be one for 6-person FFAs where everyone puts up Y RP, winner takes the pot.

As for arenas themselves... well, there's nothing which says they can't have inherent mods (i.e. recovery amounts from flasks halved; mana costs doubled; et cetera)...
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
"
Firefly00 wrote:
Concerns about PvP balance are understandable, as are those about how changes made in pursuit of same might have unintended and undesired consequences for the rest of the game. The idea of PvP-focused leagues does present opportunity for what I believe to be a reasonable solution. In such a hypothetical league the following rules might be in effect:

*characters start at level X, with the appropriate number of skill points to invest as they wish;
*XP is not gained in this league;
*the world consists of the 'town' and series of arenas, handled similarly to the existing examples;
*because of the above, drops and loot do not exist, and are therefore non-factors;
*gear (flasks, weapons, armor, and gems) can be requisitioned from the quartermasters in town;
*requisitioned gear is all of common quality and appropriate for the abovenoted default level;
*because of the absence of orbs, modifying gear is done at benches in town, which collect all the mods associated with the masters, as well as additional ones that mimic orbs' effects.

"But wait," comes an obvious question, "how does one pay for all these requisitions and crafting?" Answer: favor (or, if you will, requisition points). In addition to the skill points, every player starts with a pool of RPs for their initial purchases. How do you get more? Through defeating other players, naturally.

The structure of this league means that while it doesn't have to end (like Beyond and Onslaught will), you can have special queues available for limited times... for example, there might be one for 6-person FFAs where everyone puts up Y RP, winner takes the pot.

As for arenas themselves... well, there's nothing which says they can't have inherent mods (i.e. recovery amounts from flasks halved; mana costs doubled; et cetera)...

I dig this idea. Thought I would put in my two cents.
oh wow finally! ROUND 1 "FIGHT"

that guy above me has a done his fare share of battlegrounds i like where his heads at :D

but my 222222222 cents...i can't say if poe has the ability to todo any of this..... not even sure this will make sense lol , but ever since street fighter hit my local milk bar and my mate found the IT teachers copy of quake, combat is in my blood:)

1. ultima Online guild wars........till this day NO game has ever made BATTLE so important! wars could run for a weeks! u couldn't log off without feeling guilty!
staff from the game where there to enchance the battle/spawn/jail

ahhhh to tired to write more g'night all!

FU trammle

ALL HAIL LORD BRITISH!!!!!!!!

OMG you have to make it so if you use a hardcore champion in pvp and you lose(you die) it does what hardcore champs do and you go to standard.

You would create a gladiator style game play and people will have more to lose :) more competition.
Hello,

Is there a pvp balance for high level?

will crit multi be nerfed? so no more single shoot death (flicker strikes) or (puncture)

Will puncture is it going to be nerfed or in other words bleeding?

Will Explosive arrow will have limited number of fuses stack in pvp rather than 20 fuses * 1.5k+ fire dmg) so you are 100% dead no matter what u do XD
and at last will sword block reduction nodes getting nerfed since it turns block build useless if combined with block reduction gem level 20/20q?

Hope there is a unique item where ( You can't have critical strike / you can't get critical strikes + you can't evade attacks)? :p

however this my best game ever, hope someday seeing it or similar game in iOS and android devices.

Thanks and have fun .^_^.
First a couple questions:
-Will we use characters already existing in the standard/harcore leagues for pvp
-Will I have to rush my lvl 28 toon through the difficulties to hit all the quest reward skill points and bandits?

Also I'd like to suggest that if we are using pre-leveled/geared toons to incorporate a exp gain toggle of some sort so we can prevent accidentally hitting lvl 29. I apologise if any of this has been said before, and as always keep up the great work GGG. I'm pumped for both PvP and A4, and the haters are no doubt just a very vocal minority :)

Edit: I just had a thought that perhaps a PvP FAQ post from GGG is a separate thread might be a good idea, just to sort of clear up all the questions about PvP with answers all in one place (as opposed to scattered throughout this thread).
Last edited by Nosrak on Nov 22, 2014, 4:09:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info