How to set up a Ram Disk

Hi,
i have 2 question.
- when i want to copy the GGG folder into the ramdisk,i lack of some MB, should i type another size of ram in the cmd?
-if i want to delete a created ramdisk, what is the command?
"
urkdum wrote:
Hi,
i have 2 question.
- when i want to copy the GGG folder into the ramdisk,i lack of some MB, should i type another size of ram in the cmd?
-if i want to delete a created ramdisk, what is the command?

imdisk -e -s 200M -m X:

Open new instance of CMD ( Command Prompt ) as administrator, and type that command in. -s 200M is the amount, X: is the drive letter.

To unmount the RAMDisk, go to Computer, and right click the X drive and select Unmount ImDisk Virtual Disk.
i got 2gb ram i'm so far
my english sux.
Just noticed this thread and thought that I'd share what I made to automate launching of poe from RamDisk

What is it?
Batch script that will transfer poe folder to RamDisk if needed
When you quit the game it will ask if you'd like to copy the files back to the original location in case of patch or something else that might have changed the files.

How to use it?
1) Copy the contents of the file from the url on the bottom, make a new text file, paste it in, SAVE AS -> Save as Type = all -> Name = "xxxx.bat"

2) Edit these lines:
set inf="g:\PoE"
change "g:\PoE" to the location of your PoE installation on your normal hard drive

set outf="z:\PoE"
change "z:\PoE" to the location where your RAMDisk is. ( Do not create the folder yourself )

This is just something I smashed up together pretty quickly, if you have any suggestions/problems just message me.

Here is the script
http://pastebin.com/ngcNhv75
Hey Shadowness_.. i tried several times and no luck.

I Download..
I install..
i goto CMD
Type in imdisk -a -s 5700M -m X: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

They get Error

(Error creating virtual disk: The Parameter is incorrect)

How do i fix this problem?
Anyone?

I tried doing Softperfect and when i try and do that i can't find "poeimage.svi" file. I even searched my PC for the name and still nothing.

My download time and upload patches are sooo slow i takes nearly 3 to 10 hours..........

Any help would be nice please.
I havent found any way to fix the issue, the closest i got is this :

http://reboot.pro/topic/14382-error-message-error-creating-virtual-disk-the-parameter-is-incorrect/

I'd try to reinstall Imdisk, restart computer, and try again after that.
path0s brilliant plan to make ShaderCache folder to run from RAM hard drive worked. without needing 8GB total ram.
Only that I wondered, what was this RAMDISK 2 he mentioned?
-didnt find relevant program to this Ramdisk 2 on the internet, so I downoaded free Primo Ramdisk 30day trial for starters,
-Create a New Disk -> New disk with settings -> Disk Size 256(MB)-> next -> change FAT to NTFS.

all the descriptions what to do with the folders made me confused. so in the end it summed up as
-Make copy of your original ShaderCache folder and save it somewhere else
-Cut your original ShaderCache folder and move it to the RAM drive you created, so that your PoE original install directory no longer has the folder.
-Note that this took my hard disk 10mins time.

"
7. Now, go into CMD prompt and execute the following command.

"mklink /j "Original ShaderCache Location" "New Shader Cache Location""

Path0s used command line:
"
"mklink /j "D:\POE\ShaderCache H:\POE\ShaderCache"

did not work for me. The PoE install directory of mine is C:\Games\Path of Exile and my RAMDISK is Z:\
Recived 2 kinds of errors. "Invalid Switch -Games-" and "The filename, directoryname .... is incorrect"
Untill I used command line as it follows:
mklink /j "C:/Games/Path of Exile/ShaderCache" "Z:/ShaderCache"
The CMD prompted me back
"Junction created for C:/Games/Path of Exile/ShaderCache <<===>> Z:/ShaderCache
Done correctly, in your Path of Exile folder you now see ShaderCache folder there as a shortcut, which has path "C:\Games\Path of Exile\ShaderCache"

I would recommend you using SoftPerfect RAM Disk instead of my Primo Ramdisk 30day trial.
Theres a lot of priviliage problems with these CMD commands, Rightclick CMD to use as administrator.

My hardware is Laptop Asus K93SV. i5-2410 processor, Nvidia 540 GT, 4GB 1333MHz
i was absolutely forced to party play 6group with 1360x768 resolution with no effects, and still when everybody used theyr all maximum lightning supernova's, FPS went down to 10 and it was sometimes hectic to even loot. That problem is no longer, with the same resolution and effects stabile 25+ FPS even with everybody spamming lightning effects.
Path of Exile or Path to Exalteds?
Last edited by Sanctuarine on Mar 20, 2013, 7:08:13 PM
Stick with SoftPerfect RAM Disk.
http://www.softperfect.com/download/freeware/ramdisk_setup.exe

it's easy to set up (first, be sure to create the RAM Disk Image file, afterwards mount it) and very functional. DataRam Ramdisk is good to, but I like SoftPerfect better still.
See my stats: http://poestatistics.com/users/wiraqucha/
Seems not updated for whatever reason: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=265406
Discontinued profile: http://exilestats.com/account.php?id=40468
Thanks for this! I ran into an issue but managed to get it to work.

I am running Windows 8 Enterprise.

Upon reboot the image wasn't remounted, after some investigation I found that it was because of permissions. I had to give "Full Control" permissions to my user account to the imdisk folder that was created.

Now it mounted and works like a charm!!

Went out and purchased 32GB of 1866Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM. Made a 16GB RAMDISK. Here are my speeds before:

I originally had it on this drive:

2TB Western Digital HDD

I moved it to my older OCZ 90GB Solid State:

I then went out and bought a new Samsung 840 Series 256GB SSD and got much better speeds!

Then I decided 500mbps wasn't fast enough so I created the RAMDISK using your instructions. Here are my final speeds:

Over 6.5 GB per Second! Amazing!

Thanks!
Last edited by kentgrav on Jun 30, 2013, 3:22:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info