How to set up a Ram Disk

"
sam6555 wrote:
I just tried this all, but after a PC restart the RAM disk doesn't come back on it's own. It is supposed to, isn't it?

It only comes back if you set up the Scheduled Task properly, and it executes properly.

The scheduled task is what re-creates and populates the RAMdisk on the bootup (i believe) event. If it's not coming back on restart, then something is wrong with the scheduled task, or the cmd script it is executing.
"
kentgrav wrote:
Is there a reason why every time I reboot I have to re-patch every time? According to the Q and A section it says it should automatically save the updated patched image when you log off. Why is it not doing this? I have set mine up the way it said.

same problem and wonder if anyone has theories why.

the scheduled task triggers properly, according to its history log.

the .cmd file itself works properly; i tested it manually.

but when i go to shutdown the PC it seems to take a little longer than usual, but not the 10-20 seconds it would take to copy the whole ramdisk contents to the .img file.

seems like disabling "force task to stop" is a critical part of getting this task to work, without interruption, at shutdown, and i definitely have that configured correctly.

haven't tested it yet via manually executing the scheduled task, which is obviously the next troubleshooting step, but i'm just posting here preemptively in case anyone has any ideas.

ty.
When you create a RAMDisk, you actually have 2 copies.. one on the local hard drive, then that is loaded into memory when the RAMDisk is initialized.

If you only launch from RAMDisk each time, you're only modifying the copy in memory and not the local disk copy. That means it has to patch each time.

In order for it not to patch, you have to modify the local DRIVE copy first, then THAT gets loaded into RAM in the RAMDisk (and doesn't need patching again).
"
Drakier wrote:
When you create a RAMDisk, you actually have 2 copies.. one on the local hard drive, then that is loaded into memory when the RAMDisk is initialized.

If you only launch from RAMDisk each time, you're only modifying the copy in memory and not the local disk copy. That means it has to patch each time.

In order for it not to patch, you have to modify the local DRIVE copy first, then THAT gets loaded into RAM in the RAMDisk (and doesn't need patching again).

the idea of the second script -- "Imdisk save" as OP called it -- is that it automatically updates your local disk copy (aka "image") at the end of your windows session.

overview of the whole system (unless i am srsly mistaken):
1. you start windows,
2. "imdisk start" script inits ramdisk from image
3. you attempt to play poe -- it patches if necessary (the ramdisk version, that is. which, as far as windows "add/remove programs" and/or steam are concerned, is your only poe, period.) -- you then proceed to play or whatever
4. you shut down windows
5. imdisk save script is supposed to automatically update the image from the ramdisk files at this point, so henceforth when u init ramdisk from the image, it should be pulling the latest and greatest version from the image. however my windows scheduled task for this is not working properly.

again, my "save.cmd" script is working properly. if I patch my PoE, then run that cmd manually, my ramdisk image will be updated with the correct, patched version of poe, and next time i init my ramdisk i will have that correct, patched version. but since the scheduled task is not working, if i do not run that save script manually for whatever reason (such as i forget :P) then i have to patch my PoE again next time i reboot.

i'm trying to troubleshoot why the windows scheduled task isn't working, so i don't have to do the "save" manually.

and btw i'm using steam PoE, and also using a symlink from my default steam folder to a folder on my ssd, if this throws up any red flags for anyone. i can't see why either of those "customizations" would cause this to not work (again, esp. since the script works if i run it manually.) but just throwing it out there in case anyone has any ideas.

ty.
argh.

anyone?

plz.

missing the race because of this. :/

edit: btw the steam content delivery system -- which apparently can only update the whole damned 2.9GB game instead of actually "patching" it -- is such fail. SUCH fail.
Last edited by xSTGx on Jul 3, 2014, 10:03:59 PM
"
xSTGx wrote:
argh.

anyone?

plz.

missing the race because of this. :/

edit: btw the steam content delivery system -- which apparently can only update the whole damned 2.9GB game instead of actually "patching" it -- is such fail. SUCH fail.

1) post your own thread.

2) I have NO idea what your problem is since you didn't give ANY information to your problem.

3) I don't think you can use a RAMDisk with the Steam version. This was written/used BEFORE PoE was distributed on Steam.
Well, Steam has a lot of trouble with mountpoints/junctions/symlinks in Windows, but you could easily make it happen in Linux/Mac.
Last edited by ionface on Jul 4, 2014, 6:06:53 AM
Seems this would be easier with a video.?
"
Mamoux wrote:
Seems this would be easier with a video.?

imdisk videos

softperfect ramdisk videos

Tell us which one helps you the best and maybe OP will edit the post.
This article says to save 5.7GB - however it should be updated as the Path of Exile folder is now 7GB. This means this is totally impossible to do now with only 8GB of Ram =Z.

Is there a way to 'streamline' what gets put into the disk, or is really everything in the folder needed every time the game is run? (Edit: Probably not as the Content.ggpk file is almost 7 Gigs by itself and that's probably where all the data that needs to be loaded is.)
Last edited by ShivaFang on Jan 27, 2016, 12:27:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info