How to set up a Ram Disk

Soft Perfect works real easy - BUT I do need to sort out my game folder (Currently using an 8000MB immage file) it seems bloated. May need to do a new download. Thing is my content.ggpk file is 6 513 141kb on it's own - not sure if that's bigger than everyone elses?
I'm BACK :)
Tried the OP setting up the ram disk followed all the steps and it did not work...

Edit: Got it working with the Poe.img on startup yet not noticing any faster load times.
Last edited by Icenick on Feb 21, 2013, 11:54:05 PM
Ok this is a rather important post. My original Installation directory from 24 February 2012 is extreemly Bloated at: Size on Disk = 6.75 GB (7 257 870 336 bytes) the content.ggpk file on it's own is 6 513 141KB.

I Downloaded a new fresh installation last night which tips the scales at a much leaner: Size on disk = 5.32 GB (5 721 444 352 bytes). In this case the content.ggpk file is only 5 558 764KB

Moral of the story is if you want to use a ram disk then take the trouble to download a fresh installation.

Regarding the "Third Party" Software. I'm now using "SoftPerfect" (Apology to Shadowness_) it is incredibly easy to use and auto loads the image in about 2 minutes after a shut-down. I can certainly live with that.

SoftPerfect Guide
SoftPerfect Website
Their Help Files are actually not that difficult to follow but I did take longer to work through it than necessary so here goes:

1. Download and install SoftPerfect
2. You can see in the image I selected an image of 6000MB for my Alpha set-up I tried a 5800MB image and it works fine. Note Also I chose to save my Ram-Images in a new Folder.

3. The program may not respond for a few minutes while the image is being created. Be patient it should not take more than a few minutes.

4. OK now Mount the Image you just created.

5. Now open up your "Windows Explorer". You will note that you have a new Drive - in my case it is Drive PoE(P:) Copy your entire "Grinding Gear Games" folder onto this drive. (And honestly if you don't know how to do that then please go play Jukskei)How long this will take depends on your own procesor and how large the ShaderCache folder is.

6. Unmount the Image.

7. Add a new Disk

8. Browse the Disk and create a new Shortcut

Go Play with faster load screens and better responses. Please remember that this will NOT fix internet latency problems, but the overall effect will definitely feel a ton better.

Edit: I just did a shut down test. From a full shut down my Laptop takes less than 3 minutes to start up and that includes loading the PoE Image. I'm seriously impressed!
Last edited by Coldet on Feb 22, 2013, 5:13:11 AM
"
Coldet wrote:
Spoiler
Ok this is a rather important post. My original Installation directory from 24 February 2012 is extreemly Bloated at: Size on Disk = 6.75 GB (7 257 870 336 bytes) the content.ggpk file on it's own is 6 513 141KB.

I Downloaded a new fresh installation last night which tips the scales at a much leaner: Size on disk = 5.32 GB (5 721 444 352 bytes). In this case the content.ggpk file is only 5 558 764KB

Moral of the story is if you want to use a ram disk then take the trouble to download a fresh installation.

Regarding the "Third Party" Software. I'm now using "SoftPerfect" (Apology to Shadowness_) it is incredibly easy to use and auto loads the image in about 2 minutes after a shut-down. I can certainly live with that.

SoftPerfect Guide
SoftPerfect Website
Their Help Files are actually not that difficult to follow but I did take longer to work through it than necessary so here goes:

1. Download and install SoftPerfect
2. You can see in the image I selected an image of 6000MB for my Alpha set-up I tried a 5800MB image and it works fine. Note Also I chose to save my Ram-Images in a new Folder.

3. The program may not respond for a few minutes while the image is being created. Be patient it should not take more than a few minutes.

4. OK now Mount the Image you just created.

5. Now open up your "Windows Explorer". You will note that you have a new Drive - in my case it is Drive PoE(P:) Copy your entire "Grinding Gear Games" folder onto this drive. (And honestly if you don't know how to do that then please go play Jukskei)How long this will take depends on your own procesor and how large the ShaderCache folder is.

6. Unmount the Image.

7. Add a new Disk

8. Browse the Disk and create a new Shortcut

Go Play with faster load screens and better responses. Please remember that this will NOT fix internet latency problems, but the overall effect will definitely feel a ton better.

Edit: I just did a shut down test. From a full shut down my Laptop takes less than 3 minutes to start up and that includes loading the PoE Image. I'm seriously impressed!

Thanks for the post Coldet, i am sure people that chose to use softperfect will find that really useful when setting up a ram disk. I assumed there is something wrong with your installation, but even then you never know for sure, so i am also glad you found out what the original problem was.

Whatever way you decide to use, whatever feels more convenient, bottom line is that ramdisk is a great solution to a lot of things, and the memory is dirt cheap. Even the quad channel is going down in price.

As for not noticing the faster loading times, games like Skyrim would be a better example. You'd only copy the files that include the data, the core, and leave mods on HDD/SSD and load it from there. You would notice immediate difference. In PoE, though, this also depends on the servers. So when i am using different gateway, my loading times can be longer then usual. And of course, your connection too.

Cheers
By the way I set up SoftPerfect on my sons PC which only has 8gigs. It works but honestly 8gigs is NOT enough on windows 7
Thanks so much for this tutorial. I got it all set up and working. Using it with 16GB of ram total.
wait all this so i don't get 1 second delay the first time i use ice shot?
Well darn, lol.. I only got 2 gb ram ;(
All things Melee~
i have 8gb but the games runs fine i don't see the point of all this, people is too picky or have bad computers in general, dunno.
"
i have 8gb but the games runs fine i don't see the point of all this, people is too picky or have bad computers in general, dunno.

"
wait all this so i don't get 1 second delay the first time i use ice shot?

Pre-loading the game into RAM doesn't effect the problem with stuttering the first time you see ice shot, that's an issue with shader performance (video card).

What this does is eliminate loading times, by bypassing the biggest bottleneck on nearly all computers, which is the hard drive I/O.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info