Why are you, as a player, against an auction house similar to D3's?

"
Angryweasel wrote:
@OP You do know there is a trade forum here you can use exactly as an auction house?

Except you can't because the trade forum fucking sucks. I wouldn't mind having no AH-like features but a nice trading place or subforums for this. If they made the fonts much smaller and the colors easier to distinguish and then made subforums so you can easily browse the desired section, that'd be totally cool as well. You could go to the trading forum and then have a number of subforums. Something like this:

Trading forums
Gems
- skill gems
- support gems

Uniques
- weapons and jewelry
- armor

Rares
- weapons and jewelry
- armor

Misc.
- socketed items
- maps
Beyond league.
"
"
Angryweasel wrote:
@OP You do know there is a trade forum here you can use exactly as an auction house?

Except you can't because the trade forum fucking sucks. I wouldn't mind having no AH-like features but a nice trading place or subforums for this. If they made the fonts much smaller and the colors easier to distinguish and then made subforums so you can easily browse the desired section, that'd be totally cool as well. You could go to the trading forum and then have a number of subforums. Something like this:

Trading forums
Gems
- skill gems
- support gems

Uniques
- weapons and jewelry
- armor

Rares
- weapons and jewelry
- armor

Misc.
- socketed items
- maps

You are just lazy!
"I'm afraid if I stop drinking the cumulative hangover will kill me" ~ Sterling Archer
IGN: Angryweasel / PopTheWeasel
Personally, I think an AH really ruins the entire concept of playing ARPG's. If that weren't so I would still be playing that "other" game religiously.

However, it can be annoying at times to try to find what you need on trade channel or in the trade forums. I'm a mostly self found gear type of player but thinking about this...

Instead of Craig's List...

Exile's List... directly from the main site.
If you find yourself disagreeing with something I've said then you can take solace in the fact that you are no longer alone in the world.

"Give me fuel... Give me fire... Give me Aul that I desire..."
I should probably clarify that I am not necessarily pro-AH, but simply anti-whateverthefuckwehaverightnow. An AH would solve most of the issues and we do not have to copy the entire d3 way of AH'ing shit. In fact we may not even need an AH, simply improvements for trading are welcome.
Beyond league.
"
Necx wrote:
"
MangoXL wrote:
AH is crap. Trading should be as hard as possible imo. No tradewindow. Only out of town, droping items on the floor. Involves the risk of loosing it in a crash. Thats how it should be done imo.

that is true hardcore :)

I like it to an extent.. however trade window out of town would be okay..

reminded me of this video..

WARNING NSFW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

WARNING NSFW!

imagine this:

like in a ransom handover, both players 50 yards appart. Everyone throws the items on the ground for inspection. Then both slowly walk towards each other eyeballing the other mistrustingly.

cool video btw. :)
"
lord_vital wrote:
"
CD23 wrote:
"
braddrac wrote:
1) D3's loot mechanics were specifically designed for the AH, mean drop rates were lowered so that the AH wouldn't be completely flooded with items, causing massive inflation(and the RMAH to not make any cash..). D2 wasn't balanced this way, POE isn't balanced this way.

1) Believe that if you want, but it's tin-foil nonsense and everyone knows it. I never had problems finding stuff for both my character and to trade for other stuff for my character. The people who can't are bad players and I'm never going to care what bad players think.

1) Now you are being the one incapable of critical thinking and just plain rude. He's not the only one that believes that. He and probably hundreds of others. The gameplay revolves around the AH, let's just face it. You can tell me not to use it couse nobody is forcing me but i would be a fool not to, couse of the horrible RNG and itemization. Tho using it gives me a fair boost advantage that i lost in comparison to finding this thing myself or trading for it - aka actually playing the game, not some AH simulator (but regarding to trading, if i got crap to begin with who would trade with me anyway?). This only makes the gap bigger and bigger between self found and AH, and the more you use the AH the more you become attached to it. You must be a really lucky fellow if every item you found was a substantial upgrade to the previous one. In fact i love the hearing of that and would like to play that game too!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49

This is the source of exactly what we are talking about when we say the d3 drop rates were balanced to support the AH.

blue quote:
"we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house."
Last edited by twentygold on Feb 6, 2013, 4:37:18 PM
"
CD23 wrote:

1) Believe that if you want, but it's tin-foil nonsense and everyone knows it. I never had problems finding stuff for both my character and to trade for other stuff for my character. The people who can't are bad players and I'm never going to care what bad players think.

2) Just spend gold on crafting. Essentially the same exact result. Anything that is not part of current D3 crafting can be added and again you end up with the same exact result. The fact that POE currency can do something has absolutely no effect whatsoever on its value as a currency. Nobody cares about what the currency can do when they trade for it (unless they are specifically trading for the functionality of the orbs), all they care about is that they can spend that currency on what they want. Just...like...gold...

1) Right around the launch of D3 (and linked by twentygold), one of Blizzard's blues came out and stated that they balanced drop rates with the availability of items on the AH in mind. Kinda hard to be tin-foil nonsense when the company admits it.

2) People actually do tend to care, at least if they have any intention of playing the game as intended. Hell, sometimes people trade items for orbs precisely because they want the orbs to use on their gear. The fact that PoE currency can do something is central to it's existence as a currency. It's no accident that the more "expensive" currency items are also the ones that are both among the rarer orbs that drop and have desired uses. That status arose out of them being items that are desired for what they do.
Simply becuase it takes away any contact with players. No bartering, no discussing trades, just a very cold experience and imo does not work in a video game.
"
KrO wrote:
Simply becuase it takes away any contact with players. No bartering, no discussing trades, just a very cold experience and imo does not work in a video game.

People don't really barter now all the prices seem to be set in stone
@ColdDrizzle
"
CD23 wrote:
"
lord_vital wrote:
Where d3 auction house failed and where PoE succeeded:

Jackpot type of RNG that made you rich once you hit it, witch will happen as the name implies - one i a blue moon. That type of RNG was specifically generated to accommodate the AH i believe. Also the itemization in general. Uniques crappier than blues and most exclusively rares anyone? PoE's crafting and utilization of potentially any item that drops puts d3's system to shame.

Only one currency to rule them all. One does not simply rule them all with one currency. PoE has a crap-load of currencies. So did D2.

No clear way to tell what's worth what. Hence new players get shafted and flippers are born. In PoE even a new player can get an idea what has some worth and where it stays. I mean even the merchants selling the orbs and stuff give a general idea. Also a brief examination of drops and stash revision of what's in abundance and what not is another way.

See this is an example of someone incapable of critical thinking.

1) Guess you didn't play D2 did you? Jackpot loot has been a staple of D2 for a long long time.

2) Currency is currency is currency. Doesn't matter if it's gold, $, sojs, or orbs. They all trade the same. Only difference is itemized currency is a heck of a lot more of a hassle.

3) It's easy to tell what things are worth through a small bit of investigation. POE has a wiki listing all item types and prefixes and suffixes. That information is available to anyone who wants to be prepared for trading. The same thing applies to D3. Flipping will happen in POE just as much as it ever did in D3. And if you think currencies will over time remain at what the vendors are selling them for at launch, you're delusional.

Rubbish, there will be no where near the amount of item flipping as what happened in D3 because in that game there is real money concerned. It's funny you should call others delusional when saying such things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info