The biggest problem with PoE is not what you think.

"
"
TGeorge wrote:
"
yungwhiz wrote:
Iv'e never seen an olympic gold medal winner call the silver a scrub. I've never seen a professional basketball/football/hockey team call college teams casual. There is a difference between wanting to win and wanting to beat and degrade.

Competitive =/= Professional

I don't think I've seen streamers calling other people scrubs or trash. I think that would be the equivalent of the gold medal winners in PoE.

Really good point, this. I don't consider the top streamers and racers part of the 'community' either. They're some level of remove in their devotion to the game rather than the drama it generates. First and foremost, they *adapt* to the changes, just as a professional athlete will as a sport evolves. There's probably drama behind the scenes but the game comes first, always.

I admire that, much as I admire professional athletes. I do not 'worship' them, but I know they're doing shit I never could, and they're super fucking passionate about it. So bully for them!

It is implicit that when someone says the 'community' is rotten, they're referring to the posters of this forum, and by extension, those who have failed to retain a rational stance through the vicissitudes of game development but are still here.

Pretty much that, there is a reason a lot of people watch SC2 rather than play it, they rather see someone very skilled and knowledgeable and know what to do to fit the situation (in this case, balance changes, and general game changes.) Essentially those people build the basis of the "this works well, this works fine, this doesn't work at all really." Be it pricing, builds, how good X item is overall, etc. As a result of people just giving items for "reasons" it also allows them to more or less try ANY build.
Last edited by blademyth on Sep 27, 2014, 6:33:07 PM
"
TGeorge wrote:
"

It is implicit that when someone says the 'community' is rotten, they're referring to the posters of this forum, and by extension, those who have failed to retain a rational stance through the vicissitudes of game development but are still here.

Perhaps they are just passionate and they honestly feel that the game is going in a bad direction and just don't want to abandon it and see it fail.

Or perhaps they are just used to getting their way and can't accept that views which are different (or outright opposite) from theirs exist.

Or perhaps it's something more deep and related to modern day society.

Or perhaps it's something more simple and they just like to troll.

I think there's something fundamentally awry when a hanger-on refers to themselves as a 'parasite' proudly.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I have yet to be part of an online game community that isn't like that. It think it comes with the territory. Open forum with no real fear of backlash. That said, I do have problems with the game that I would like to see fixed which is why I support the game. If that makes me part of the problem, then so be it.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Sep 28, 2014, 12:11:19 AM
I have been playing online games for about 15 years now...and the community has always been the problem....and the devs and forum admins. will never care. I don't let it ruin my experience. I find a good group of friends or a good friendly guild and ignore the haters, griefers, elitists, trolls etc. etc.
"
lukeemmaus wrote:
I have been playing online games for about 15 years now...and the community has always been the problem....and the devs and forum admins. will never care. I don't let it ruin my experience. I find a good group of friends or a good friendly guild and ignore the haters, griefers, elitists, trolls etc. etc.

Yes, I've been online gaming for 8 years now, and its not the dev's responsibility to make the community happy. Their job is to make content that best suits the vision they have not some random guy that spends hours and hours trading and has more currency that anyone would EVER need.
"
"
Amiag wrote:
"
bring a little light to the gloom. :)

I DONT SEE IT

Doesn't mean it's not there. Like the wind...or God. Or a god-like wind. Ah, fuck, I just spoiled my monster.

Spoiler
Well, I did if you know a little Japanese.

If true I foresee much rage.
"
"
Amiag wrote:
"
bring a little light to the gloom. :)

I DONT SEE IT

Doesn't mean it's not there. Like the wind...or God. Or a god-like wind. Ah, fuck, I just spoiled my monster.

Spoiler
Well, I did if you know a little Japanese.

I don't wanna be knocked out by a godlike wind, eww the smell X_X.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info