Lightning Thorns

Why was this skill even implemented in this game? Not only are melees at a natural disadvantage to ranged but this completely fucks us up. I have a level 70 Marauder (full tank) with 7 enduring charges and I still melt if I lightning strike a mob with thorns. On the other hand, my ranger friend can just lightning arrow them with absolutely no repercussion.
You seem to be refering to elemental reflect... and that applies to anyone, whether melee, ranged, or caster. Ideally you want some alternate way of killing the mob, or try to have enough damage mitigation to tank it. Does your friend have much better lightning resist than you?
"
aboltris wrote:
You seem to be refering to elemental reflect... and that applies to anyone, whether melee, ranged, or caster. Ideally you want some alternate way of killing the mob, or try to have enough damage mitigation to tank it. Does your friend have much better lightning resist than you?

Hes probably rfering to Lightning Thorns like he said, a spell which the Blackguard mages in Act 3 have. I've encountered no major problems with it yet so I'm not sure why it is destroying a tank so badly.
Maybe resists are a problem? Or he has low life? Not enough information.
Every melee I've played with complains about this as well. If we get a map with it, apparently they have to not AoE the enemies with it.
80% all res, around 3k armor, 4k HP, and 7 enduring charges. I use one lightning strike into a pack with 2-3 thorns and I instantly lose 2k HP.
"
Sir_LogiC wrote:
Maybe resists are a problem? Or he has low life? Not enough information.

Using any bigger AOE attacks on mobs with lightning thorns on them will result in immense hp loss, even with 75%/80% resists. I was glad I had flickerstrike to get past the melee mobs and could take down the magi without much effort.

Elemental/Physical reflect is a completely wuss mod if compared to this skill.
Last edited by ErrorCode on Feb 6, 2013, 3:23:07 AM
The skill itself is not such a problem, even though it favors ranged as many things in this game. What is a problem is the desync/rubberbanding combined with this skill.
You try to AoE a pack of guards thinking it's perfectly safe and all of sudden you die. Later you realize that there was a mage but you didn't see him as he popped out of thin air and you also didn't see he already spammed thorns on half of the pack just for the lulz. Seriously, make it reflect also ranged damage or remove it entirely. Melee are already getting fucked enough as it is.
Oh noes, people actually have to think about what they are doing instead of mindlessly spamming their aoe on anything that moves.

People are exaggerating badly, you will not get it on a whole pack at once & if your lightning resistance is capped then it really doesn't hurt that badly, take a lightning resistance ring or something with you on every map to wear when those mobs are around. Even if they are off screen it's pretty easy to recognise if they are near due because they always appear with the guards an you can see their attacks coming from off screen. Then just take them out first and don't aoe until it's safe again.

Max lightning res does next to nothing against this skill. I don't think you understand that. I have 80% res + purity 2% from my friends and I still get demolished by fucking lightning thorns. In maps and even in merciless it's next to impossible to focus down the mages if there are a group of blackguards right next to him.

This is also all in HC so I actually do build tanky and maintain 7 endurance charges constantly. However, even with 70% DR a mistimed lightning strike can take out over 2k HP. What I don't understand is why I take the most damage even though I do the lowest DPS in my group of friends.
Last edited by Sheapy on Feb 6, 2013, 4:43:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info