[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Paion, nice gear! and very nice amulet too! ( I am stuck at 59 INT so cant use most of blue gems once they get a level or three, yet)

Sovyn, others, I got a Q on shield:

I use

I got these two as drops yesterday - stuck them in stash because I am excited by their resists, but the block % drop may not be worth it? thoughts?

If I use either, I may be able to get rings/amulet for other stuff (my IIR/IIQ are both abysmally low at,9%, and most named mobs I kill solo dont even drop magic, so rare drops seem...quite rare!)

Any suggestions? combo of shield+jewellery etc - what to look for/keey eye out in trade? thanks again. I made it to merciless - I am level 57, and my cold/fire resists are maxxed (or close to it except lighting which is at 50-ish, and chaos at -60 heh)

"
Paion wrote:
I am very much enjoying this build so far.
Level 35, just entering Cruel and not a death yet.
Thank you for sharing.

Hi Paion, thanks for posting! Glad to hear it's working out so well for you. :) I'm still having a great time myself.

Your gear looks really great for level 35.

Keep us updated as you progress! :)
"
MildlyClever wrote:
Paion, nice gear! and very nice amulet too! ( I am stuck at 59 INT so cant use most of blue gems once they get a level or three, yet)

Sovyn, others, I got a Q on shield:

I use

I got these two as drops yesterday - stuck them in stash because I am excited by their resists, but the block % drop may not be worth it? thoughts?

I would not trade out Perandus until you get something with major evasion or armour (if you have lots of evasion elsewhere).

For resists you want Purity aura running as soon as possible. The 20 resists with equipped shield plus diamond skin nodes are important too. Then you only need a little of each resist from gear, much easier.

As to shields for your level, you can use corrugated bucklers right now, or you can use Perandus for a few more levels until you can shop the Vaal Bucklers at 63.

I just spend a few seconds shopping for you, and found this:

That's a good example of a shield you could use right now. There are even better Vaal Bucklers for sale.
@Mildlyclever: Are you in Anarchy?

I can spare this if you need. If you are going for resists on shields instead of resists on rings, then this may tide you over.

IGN: Brign

Edit: And yes, get a purity running asap. Once you hit lvl 50ish to 60ish, you would have close to 100 int (if you got stone of lazhwar). From that you should be able to get your purity level to a good level to overcap on resists. I am sitting on 77 77 77 at the moment (yes it does overcap).
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Sep 8, 2013, 11:52:29 PM
Thanks both!

yes, I am in Anarchy League - will look for you Xiao (I play on Bangkok/singapore time-ish) will add to friend list, thanks a lot.

I run purity but with my low INT (59) I cant level it up yet.

I really need to get a handle on the trade forums (I get lost within a minute of being there lol) - and will! thanks again.

My character name is MeleeGibson !

P.S: How to find the account handle which is added on as friend (so alts etc also show up as online)? Would mine be MildlyClever?
Last edited by MildlyClever on Sep 8, 2013, 11:56:31 PM
Great build, great guide.

As you said on page 60, Bringer of Rain is great for this, probably BIS. With multistrike, if anything survives more than a second with my character, it is blind. It is pretty easy to block at 75% what never hits me in the first place. One question, not so much build related, but math related: If I have 37% evade, monster has 63% chance to hit... blind states 75% reduction in accuracy... does that mean that I now have an effective 84% evasion, as 75% of 63% is roughly 16%? Sorry for the lame math question, but looking for confirmation.

Is Stone of Lazawar also BIS? I have a hard time gauging, as I finally took advantage of level 72 templar free full respec to your guide, and feel like I have this really great gift, but no real understanding of how some of the mechanics work, other than they really really work. Ondar's Guille is brilliant, I never would've considered it... it just sounds so, lame... but it is really good. Anyway, about Lazawar, would you say that with insane effective evasion from blind, and great block, is it worth more than 200 hitpoints I'd get from amulet? I'm only at ~3250 (3000 after aura) at the moment, but my next 8 passives are life nodes, so I'm assuming I'll hit ~4,000 life at level 82.

Anyway, thanks again for the great guide, and for any answers, and sorry for so long I type too much. I chose this over infernal tank as I could finally get some use from my BoR blind.

Last edited by butteryone on Sep 9, 2013, 12:31:48 AM
"
butteryone wrote:
Great build, great guide.

As you said on page 60, Bringer of Rain is great for this, probably BIS. With multistrike, if anything survives more than a second with my character, it is blind. It is pretty easy to block at 75% what never hits me in the first place. One question, not so much build related, but math related: If I have 37% evade, monster has 63% chance to hit... blind states 75% reduction in accuracy... does that mean that I now have an effective 84% evasion, as 75% of 63% is roughly 16%? Sorry for the lame math question, but looking for confirmation.

Is Stone of Lazawar also BIS? I have a hard time gauging, as I finally took advantage of level 72 templar free full respec to your guide, and feel like I have this really great gift, but no real understanding of how some of the mechanics work, other than they really really work. Ondar's Guille is brilliant, I never would've considered it... it just sounds so, lame... but it is really good. Anyway, about Lazawar, would you say that with insane effective evasion from blind, and great block, is it worth more than 200 hitpoints I'd get from amulet? I'm only at ~3250 (3000 after aura) at the moment, but my next 8 passives are life nodes, so I'm assuming I'll hit ~4,000 life at level 82.

Anyway, thanks again for the great guide, and for any answers, and sorry for so long I type too much. I chose this over infernal tank as I could finally get some use from my BoR blind.

Thanks for the thoughtful questions. Glad you are enjoying your "Lazy Pally" as much as I do.

Bringer is BIS if you don't have Kaom's Heart and even then, not really sure, it's that good for us.

The Stone is a great amulet and will make a noticeable difference in Catacombs and maps on a similar theme where you get cursed and take big spell damage. BIS? Well, The Anvil is pretty good too. A good high life rare amulet with other things you require is good also, and better than Stone in areas without spell casters. The Stone has nice intelligence which allows us to raise Purity and use enfeeble and so on. I just leave my Stone on all the time rather than swapping. The 47% spell block is nice whenever I need it. BIS for me.

Blind/Evasion/Math:

Attacker's chance to hit = 1 - Defender's chance to evade
[Chance to hit while blinded] = 0.25 * [Chance to hit while not blinded]

or equivalent:

Defender's chance to evade = 1 - Attacker's chance to hit
[Chance to evade blinded enemy] = 1 - ( 0.25 * ( 1 - [Chance to evade not-blinded enemy] ) )

For example, if you would normally have a 35% chance to evade attacks made by a particular enemy, you would have:

1 - ( 0.25 * ( 1 - 0.35 ) ) = 84% Chance to evade that same enemy when it is blinded.
"
MildlyClever wrote:
Thanks both!

yes, I am in Anarchy League - will look for you Xiao (I play on Bangkok/singapore time-ish) will add to friend list, thanks a lot.

I run purity but with my low INT (59) I cant level it up yet.

I really need to get a handle on the trade forums (I get lost within a minute of being there lol) - and will! thanks again.

My character name is MeleeGibson !

P.S: How to find the account handle which is added on as friend (so alts etc also show up as online)? Would mine be MildlyClever?

Same timezone :) I am usually on at night time for us (about 9pm onwards to about 12am our time).

You can try adding my main account (Xiaoyen), it should show up when I log on. Just like how I added Sovyn (his char name on Anarchy is different).

Trade forums are a better resource imo (as someone said it here before).

Yes, it gets tough at the start to level Int gems, but as you progress in levels and add on more and more int nodes (and later dex nodes) you will find that you will have enough Int to level it up. If you budget about 100 Int for your max gear, you should be able to get Purity high enough. This is only possible if you keep Lazhwar as your Int stat provider (and you have the other pieces of gear as replaceables, you do not want to depend on the stat add on them as you may be pigeonholed into a 'MUST use it else i lose stat to use gems/items' thing). My Purity should be about level 15 right now, and it requires less than 100 Int so you should be able to get it high enough once you get into the swing of things.
Ah, thanks for the answers! I'll just keep my Lazawar on all the time too. I almost bought an anvil before I spent all my currency, but now I'm glad I didn't, as I dodge so much the hitpoint bonuses wouldn't really help me, I don't think. I go a long time without getting hit, then suddenly, BAM, half to one quarter hitpoints, or worse, from big monsters. Thanks for reminding me about enfeeble... that would've saved me against a faster, more phys. damage Carnage level 71 Colonnade boss. I went about 2 minutes with no damage, then 1 shot. My only death in a few character levels, and a good lesson.

I meant to mention I appreciate this builds laziness too, as I am often cradling a baby, or a glass of scotch, or similar in my left hand, and only allotted one hand to play. It's hard to mouse over and potion with a character that needs it often, while with this character I can slowly heal or mana pot while completely surrounded by a deluge of chaos bolts, and not sweat.

"
butteryone wrote:
....while with this character I can slowly heal or mana pot while completely surrounded by a deluge of chaos bolts, and not sweat.

Yes, I was just doing a Springs map (many chaos damage monsters) and I was thinking the same thing. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info