[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
seiferoth10 wrote:
I don't think TS even does enough damage to shock mobs. There's a certain threshold of damage you need to do with lightning which corresponds to a certain duration of shock, anything less than that damage doesn't shock. I don't know the specific number though.

It is useful when ranged mobs are shooting at you while you're contending with a pack of melee mobs, then the ranged mobs run around like morons leaving you to finish off the melee mobs.

Shock: I heard that too, don't know much about lightning damage skills so can't provide the damage numbers required either. :)

We always like our enemies to run around like morons! Good one. Not for me, at least for now (don't know what the highest maps will entail) but some will definitely find it (chance to flee support) useful.
"
maffa50 wrote:

So I did a little checking and perhaps the new claw + EK isn't the best idea for this build, for two main reasons.

1st reason - EK only leeches from support gems which can be a problem

2nd reason - EK does not scale off weapon damage and therefore the increased weapon damage nodes (around Water Dancing and Weapon Artistry) are wasted. I'm not entirely sure but I would assume that Melee Physical Damage doesn't affect it either. Also the two 8% WED would be wasted as well.

However, with a little tweaking I would imagine that if someone really wanted to they could still use the new claw + EK to great effect with most of the key structure of the build still intact. Just goes to show how flexible this build is ^_^ please someone correct me if i'm wrong in any places.

First reason - well, mana leech support gem would take away a damage support slot, but might be doable.

Second reason - this one is a little trickier. I can see coming off of the other Templar starting node (mana regen) instead, and spending less points in the Ranger area. It would be an interesting variation if anyone tries it out. Pretty much a different build but with the same defensive idea.
Great guide, thanks for sharing!

I'm now lvl 57 and farming Merciless Fellshrine (lvl 59) without any issues thanks to Ondar's Guile. This made a big difference, running into a blue pack of multishot archers isn't insta-death anymore, in fact I could clear them easily.

And my gear isn't on top at the moment:

Armor 26% (with Determination)
Evasion 35% (with Grace)
Block 71% (Perandus)
1.6k Life (1.3k after Grace Aura on Blood Magic)

Damage 1,7k pure physical

As I didn't find any adequate Buckler until now I stayed with Perandus and thought I give Ondar's Guile a try before the las block nodes - best decision ever :-) In fact I would recommend to go this route if one owns a Perandus, the 10% additional block on the shield easily outperforms any evasion in mid-game. At least with my crappy shields I had to test...

Ah and I didn't find any useful Axe so I have to use this:

Slow, but with Heavystrike, Multistrike, Melee Damage and Melee Splash it's a killer :-)

This buiild is far more viable and fun than my Groundslam Marauder, who has more armor and more life but was insta-shredded in Fellshrine from archers a lot, even after he outleveled the area.
Fargali: "And for those who wants more death penalty just go out and die a second time"
Thanks tommigee - I got blood magic as choice again as reward for another quest, and took it this time :)

Quick Update: I am level 54 now, and having fun!I am using this weapon (I am just levelling up the gems on this one)

]

I have stopped using double hit, and am using heavy hit. I used a bunch of the link gems on chest piece but it just wont link all 5, so stopped after a few attempts :)

I have a 5L chest I found (white item 5L, made it rare) but getting red sockets seems an impossibility, have used up 35 chromos still not much luck, so it stays in stash!

I am keeping eye out for multi-strike (wont be able to link it up yet with heavyv strike anyway even if I got it).

these are my other key pieces, shield from some random mob in normal - other two from a nice high level ( I linked up the sockets in gloves.)

Trade Chat seems mainly like 10 people repeating their sales thing, and I always turn it off - since if it is on, I miss party chat/whispers :( ( I do hope they put in tabs at some point!)

Any recommendation on a good 1h weapon?
Last edited by MildlyClever on Sep 7, 2013, 10:22:32 AM
"
Schlowski wrote:
Great guide, thanks for sharing!

I'm now lvl 57 and farming Merciless Fellshrine (lvl 59) without any issues thanks to Ondar's Guile. This made a big difference, running into a blue pack of multishot archers isn't insta-death anymore, in fact I could clear them easily.

And my gear isn't on top at the moment:

Armor 26% (with Determination)
Evasion 35% (with Grace)
Block 71% (Perandus)
1.6k Life (1.3k after Grace Aura on Blood Magic)

Damage 1,7k pure physical

This buiild is far more viable and fun than my Groundslam Marauder, who has more armor and more life but was insta-shredded in Fellshrine from archers a lot, even after he outleveled the area.

Great! Thanks for posting! Sounds like you are having fun.

Your evasion is fine, but you will want a little more armour. Perhaps determination can level up a bit more.

Main thing is to get the life total a bit higher. You will be finding some decent base items to craft in church dungeon possibly.

Also, do craft some instant healing hallowed life flasks. Seething or Bubbling. Save up the quality flasks you find that you don't need and turn in 40% total quality at once for glassblower's. Use 4 glassblowers on a hallowed to make it 20% quality then craft it with trans/alt. Pretty easy and cheap.
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I have a 5L chest I found (white item 5L, made it rare) but getting red sockets seems an impossibility, have used up 35 chromos still not much luck, so it stays in stash!

Any recommendation on a good 1h weapon?

Most of the good 1H weapons are the 'rare' type (as opposed to unique).

I was using a rare Tomahawk around your level.

I may still have it... here it is:

You can find stuff like this and better in the trade forums. The trade channel in game is useless. Must shop on forum and maybe even use one of the indexer websites to find what you need.

4 linking a 5 or 6 socket is about the best one can reasonably hope for unless filthy rich or super lucky. That's why I like heavy strike as it does reasonable damage on only a 4 link.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Your evasion is fine, but you will want a little more armour. Perhaps determination can level up a bit more.

Main thing is to get the life total a bit higher. You will be finding some decent base items to craft in church dungeon possibly.

Thanks, problem is not the determination aura but my gear - I have to change a lot of it, hopefully I will find some nice basics in the near future. Up until now it doesn't matter that my armor and life was too low, but now it starts to hurt, I have to drink more potions, especially Granites when dealing with hard hitting mobs. Loosing the "lazy" part, so to speak.

Ah, and I changed my weapon, a bit less damage but a lot faster -> a lot more fun to beat the mobs up :-) My feeling is that the faster hitting more than outweighs the smaller damage, most mobs are dead in three hits = one multistrike action before and after the weapon change so my killspeed went up.

Fargali: "And for those who wants more death penalty just go out and die a second time"
Last edited by Schlowski on Sep 7, 2013, 5:15:31 PM
"
Schlowski wrote:

Ah, and I changed my weapon, a bit less damage but a lot faster -> a lot more fun to beat the mobs up :-) My feeling is that the faster hitting more than outweighs the smaller damage, most mobs are dead in three hits = one multistrike action before and after the weapon change so my killspeed went up.

Yessir, as I've been saying for half a year, it's mighty hard to beat the boarding axe/tomahawk/siege axe series for overall solidness.

That one leaves plenty of room for improvement, but you will get there. :)
Noticed that in patch 0.11.5 GGG yet again nerfed enduring cry by placing all equipped enduring cry gems on the same cooldown timer. Used to be able to alternate hitting several different gems to gain the charges faster.

Good thing this is one of the few melee builds that really does not need the endurance charges. :)
I am very much enjoying this build so far.
Level 35, just entering Cruel and not a death yet.
Thank you for sharing.

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Hideout of the Week: Joe Schmoe VS. The Volcano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuAWFPgcdQ

Still available in Standard.
You are welcome to see it for yourself anytime.
Last edited by Paion on Sep 9, 2013, 9:44:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info