[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Molochmane wrote:
It's good to know that all is well. And for me, I started doing more dominating blows on my maps now, and couldn't simply believe how amazing this skill combined a soul taker. I even have faster clearing times in my lunaris runs now close to <6 minutes while my minions chompin' on piety and made Kole like a baby. When I figure out how to record my runs, I'll put it up in youtube and share my experience.

<3 Moloch.

Fraps seems to be good. I used it when I was in WoW. You could Twitch? Not sure if they have a recording option?
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Shaunb19 wrote:
been leveling as this build lately and its somuch fun. just did vaal on merc without taking a single hit. managing 7.5k dps on heavy strike atm with some pretty medicore gear imo.

is that ive been leveling with for quite awhile. only thing that changed between cruel and merc really was the wep/shield. thanks for making "end game" opbtainable to us baddies who like to facetank everything lol

Glad you have been having fun!

I'm surprised you have done so well with such little added life on your gear... well done!

Nice DPS though. My HS is just under 5k and I do OK.

Are you max block with that gear though? I'd try for max block. I think it's worth it. Plenty of ways to get there... more nodes, or unique helm, or unique amulet, or change shields....
74% with current shield and tempest. at 70 im switching to lionseye for the extra block(dont wanna trade out my spell block ammy). just downed piety in merc with only 1 death(danged desync during worst phase ever)
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

I think I end up hitting faster than you Sovyn LOL. Just because double strike is 2 in one, when combined with Multistrike it just goes insane.

Yes, double strike is very fast with those supports. You should see me using double strike though. :D

Sushi, anyone?

Too bad double strike sacrifices stun, leeching efficiency, and armour penetrating capability vs. heavy strike. I know HS has the knockback as a downside (or survivability improvement, depending on your point of view) but that does not bother me personally. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 2, 2013, 5:22:05 PM
"
Molochmane wrote:
I started doing more dominating blows on my maps now, and couldn't simply believe how amazing this skill combined a soul taker. I even have faster clearing times in my lunaris runs now close to <6 minutes while my minions chompin' on piety and made Kole like a baby. When I figure out how to record my runs, I'll put it up in youtube and share my experience.

Looking forward to it!

Dominating blow sounds great but I can't imagine using it as a primary attack without Soul Taker due to the mana draw. That does kind of make the price of entry rather steep. :)
I'm loving this build, currently lvl 70 running maps with ease. Many thanks to Sovyn for putting this together. I've varied a bit from the passive tree in the guide because I'm running BoR/Lioneye's so I didn't need as many block nodes.

Passive Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecCcQSzBS0UIBRNGNsZLhoyGjgaVRrbG60hYCNNJ-0yiTboPeJANkCgRHJHfkjuSn1PfVBHUWBT31b6Vw1X4ljbWfNbr2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWhMSE2YTvh3aQCpBVm4OeuZ7NoLSiAKcwp4SplayqrK-0-bfTud2-p8APwBrSIdJN1I_WitfL2WHdDedS7DjuDu8O8B_yL_e--6r8xQ==

Gear
Spoiler

Currently looking for some better boots/belt but having a great time!
still cruising along merrily (almost to end of act 3 - normal).

I get random skill gem drops - I havent gotten multi-strike or melee dmg ones yet though. Someone was sellign the multi strike for 5 chaos, but I have only 3. That, and I want to find it if I can :)

Any skill gems (str/dex/int) drops I need to keep an eye on because they are in demand/rare etc? so I can make some currency selling to others I mean.

thanks again - sorry to turn this into a newbie Q&A, gear thread ! :)
Update: Lvl 64, did my first solo map run (Dry Lake), and no hitches whatsoever, except for the damn desync due to the unique rhoa charge. Countered it by keeping close and with my atk speed, just leeched more life than I lost from his aura. XP gain is phenomenal! About 1/4 to 1/5 bar filled with just 1 map! Catacomb farming is also a must now, not just for map drops and currencies, but the area actually gives VERY good XP at my level.

@Mildlyclever - Quality gems (above 10) are almost always in demand. Spark is a common gem but a quality one costs a lot (lolsporker). Multi-strike, faster attacks, faster cast, reduced mana, blood magic are some of the few gems which has a decent/strong demand to them. It really depends on the 'build-of-the-day' though. If you monitor Kripp's builds, you can generally find gems which will shoot up in price due to the popularity. I won't be following his footsteps as his build has a very high entry cost in terms of gear and gems (and very specific too).

@Sovyn - Haha I truly believe your DS will outstrip my current atk speed, no doubt. I am thinking of using HS as a sub skill, but the unfortunate fact remains that I do not have enough sockets to get the best bang for my buck. I end up having higher dps on my DS instead. I could swap the gem to HS since both are red, but it becomes a hassle, plus the build is meant for being lazy!

I ran a Piety run with Moloch and him spamming DB. It is EXTREMELY messy once he got into the swing of it.

If I get a Soul Taker, I may go LS + chain + fork instead.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

I ran a Piety run with Moloch and him spamming DB. It is EXTREMELY messy once he got into the swing of it.

If I get a Soul Taker, I may go LS + chain + fork instead.

Messy :D?

Glad to hear that your entry into maps were pleasant.
Last edited by Molochmane on Sep 3, 2013, 3:35:12 PM
"
gcain wrote:
I'm loving this build, currently lvl 70 running maps with ease. Many thanks to Sovyn for putting this together. I've varied a bit from the passive tree in the guide because I'm running BoR/Lioneye's so I didn't need as many block nodes.
Currently looking for some better boots/belt but having a great time!

Looking good! Glad you are having fun with this too. :) Nice gear! (except the boots) :)
hey sovyn,

thanks a lot for the build guide!! it made me excited about my templar build again, which sucked before :)
I'm currently lvl 74 and started doing maps recently for the first time.
after having bad luck with drops for quite a while, rngsus smiled on me and dropped a bringer of rain from a dried lake map boss.

I understand the build should be very flexible in terms of gear and not rely on certain uniques, but I was wondering what you think about the rainbowstride boots? I'm completely self found so far except I bought these boots.
my block is maxed at 75% with crest of perandus, and with stone of lazhwar and rainbowstride I have 65% spell block which so far has been awesome!

do you think it's still worth trying to get to ondar's guile? right now with the combination of block, spell block and blind from bringer of rain, I don't get hit much. as far as I understand, ondar's would help with projectile attacks that are not spells?

stats: my dps is currently around 6700 with a crap axe, life is at 3.3k. I'm using lightning strike with multistrike, mana leech and wed in the helmet.
I'm running determination and hatred on mana (about to add purity), and wrath and grace on life.
for curses I have enfeeble and conductivity with blood magic.

passive tree @74

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info