[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
tommigee wrote:
hey sovyn,

thanks a lot for the build guide!! it made me excited about my templar build again, which sucked before :)
I'm currently lvl 74 and started doing maps recently for the first time.
after having bad luck with drops for quite a while, rngsus smiled on me and dropped a bringer of rain from a dried lake map boss.

I understand the build should be very flexible in terms of gear and not rely on certain uniques, but I was wondering what you think about the rainbowstride boots? I'm completely self found so far except I bought these boots.
my block is maxed at 75% with crest of perandus, and with stone of lazhwar and rainbowstride I have 65% spell block which so far has been awesome!

do you think it's still worth trying to get to ondar's guile? right now with the combination of block, spell block and blind from bringer of rain, I don't get hit much. as far as I understand, ondar's would help with projectile attacks that are not spells?

stats: my dps is currently around 6700 with a crap axe, life is at 3.3k. I'm using lightning strike with multistrike, mana leech and wed in the helmet.
I'm running determination and hatred on mana (about to add purity), and wrath and grace on life.
for curses I have enfeeble and conductivity with blood magic.

passive tree @74

About Rainbowstride, I considered it, but I think it would be best served if you were running the Aegis Aurora variant of the build. That way you'd have ~600 ES and Aegis Aurora's "block regens ES" mechanic to help. A few notable downsides of running Rainbowstride without Aegis Aurora are that it has 0 health and its ES is basically useless compared to the defensive effectiveness of armor and/or evasion boots, and it has no chaos resist which I've found is increasingly hard to find because of the number of slots we eat up with uniques.

Ondar's is very worth it, you get to dodge projectile attacks at double clip. Archers of any type (even the ones that shoot lightning/fire arrow), tentacle miscreations (Lunaris temple), and the pyramid constructs (one tentacle coming out of the ground mobs) are the big ones that I can think of right now. Is Ondar's Guile worth the one point? Easily. Is it worth the 4 points it takes to get there? We can debate that one, but at a certain gear level with a certain combinations of skills, I'd argue that it's not worth the 4 points.

Edit: I looked at your tree and I don't think it's worth it for you to go all the way to Ondar's Guile. I'd spend the points required to get to Ondar's Guile first on Leather and Steel (duelist area), and then Steel Skin (duelist area), followed by Armour Mastery (marauder area). Simply put, Ondar's Guile is just way too far for you to get there. Your tree is nearing completion and there are a bunch of powerful nodes near where you are that you should spend those hard earned points on.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Sep 4, 2013, 1:24:39 AM
thanks for the reply!

those were my thoughts too, I'd have to spend a lot of points that I don't really need just to get to ondar's guile. I'd love to go for aegis aurora if I could afford it (or find one). it's on my list of 'would be awesome' :)

the two big weaknesses of the build right now are the non-existent chaos resist and the very low armor. I'm using a granite of iron skin to help, and so far I don't need it that much. I'm sure that'll change in higher maps.

I was planning on getting berserking and diamond flesh, but once I get a faster weapon that won't be necessary, and when I'm able to add purity all my resists will be at 80% anyways.
you made some good suggestions about the armor nodes!
it's indeed hard to decide where to spend those last 10 or so points...

cheers
"
tommigee wrote:
thanks for the reply!

those were my thoughts too, I'd have to spend a lot of points that I don't really need just to get to ondar's guile. I'd love to go for aegis aurora if I could afford it (or find one). it's on my list of 'would be awesome' :)

the two big weaknesses of the build right now are the non-existent chaos resist and the very low armor. I'm using a granite of iron skin to help, and so far I don't need it that much. I'm sure that'll change in higher maps.

I was planning on getting berserking and diamond flesh, but once I get a faster weapon that won't be necessary, and when I'm able to add purity all my resists will be at 80% anyways.

cheers

Well, considering you've skipped most of the powerful armor nodes, you can still fix your armor concern with the next 9 points.

Remember you can drop some block nodes because of Bringer of Rain, but I'd suggest first changing your shield from Crest Perandus to something good. You can nab a good Lionseye's Remorse for ~4 gcp. To replace the life leech on Crest, get the Blood Drinker node.
I'm still figuring how to record my dominating lunaris runs. But for now here is a snapshot from an earlier run with 61 minions:

Running faster attack + dominating blow + increased duration + melee splash and multi strike.
The great thing about the setup was that I can have 40 minion upkeep because of increased duration. It's only great if you solo, when it come to group runs, my lappy slows down by a big margin lol.
Last edited by Molochmane on Sep 4, 2013, 7:06:17 AM
"
tommigee wrote:

cheers

First glad you are having fun! That's the important thing.

Just to be clear, if you have reached that level and don't have Ondar's yet, you are not running my build -- it's your own thing entirely. :)

That's why you are having trouble with chaos as Ondar's when combined with sufficient evasion (30% at least) basically ensures you are rarely if ever hit with chaos (most is projectile based).

I run -60 chaos and never have an issue. :)

Next, you must have steel skin, max level determination aura and leather and steel. I have 35% base mitigation by following the guide and that's with junk gear. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 4, 2013, 10:04:25 PM
"
Molochmane wrote:
I'm still figuring how to record my dominating lunaris runs. But for now here is a snapshot from an earlier run with 61 minions:

Running faster attack + dominating blow + increased duration + melee splash and multi strike.
The great thing about the setup was that I can have 40 minion upkeep because of increased duration. It's only great if you solo, when it come to group runs, my lappy slows down by a big margin lol.

Awesome picture, thanks for sharing! *thumbs up*
"
tommigee wrote:
what you think about the rainbowstride boots? I'm completely self found so far except I bought these boots.

I don't think they are anything amazing if you already have capped resists without 'em.

With capped resists (overcapped with leveled up Purity) and the 47% spell block that Lazhwar provides, you should be set. That will free you up to get some nice high armour(don't forget to quality it!) plus the oh-so-helpful 30% run speed plus life boots which might be more beneficial in more situations.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 4, 2013, 10:15:21 PM
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I get random skill gem drops - I havent gotten multi-strike or melee dmg ones yet though. Someone was sellign the multi strike for 5 chaos, but I have only 3. That, and I want to find it if I can :)

Keep the faith, I found one in act 2 Merciless I believe it was. But, it's random, never found one since. Meanwhile, melee splash and/or faster attacks.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Just to be clear, if you have reached that level and don't have Ondar's yet, you are not running my build -- it's your own thing entirely. :)

That's why you are having trouble with chaos as Ondar's when combined with sufficient evasion (30% at least) basically ensures you are rarely if ever hit with chaos (most is projectile based).

Next, you must have steel skin, max level determination aura and leather and steel. I have 35% base mitigation by following the guide and that's with junk gear. :)

hey sovyn!

thanks a lot for your replies! yeah it's not your build, but it was very much inspired by it :)
the point about chaos and ondar's guile makes total sense, I didn't think about that it's mostly projectiles. I'll have to do some more testing, but at the moment projectiles don't hit me much even without ondar's.

I'm definitely planning on getting the armor nodes next, and I'll go for the two reduced mana nodes so I can run purity, determination and hatred, possibly even tempest shield if the remaining mana is enough.

I'll give ondar's some more thought :)
cheers!
"
tommigee wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

hey sovyn!

thanks a lot for your replies! yeah it's not your build, but it was very much inspired by it :)
the point about chaos and ondar's guile makes total sense, I didn't think about that it's mostly projectiles. I'll have to do some more testing, but at the moment projectiles don't hit me much even without ondar's.

I'm definitely planning on getting the armor nodes next, and I'll go for the two reduced mana nodes so I can run purity, determination and hatred, possibly even tempest shield if the remaining mana is enough.

I'll give ondar's some more thought :)
cheers!

I run those 4 auras on my mana without any reduced mana reserved nodes. I think it just requires Level 17 Reduced Mana linked to all 4 auras. The caveat is you have to Blood Magic gem your other skills to use them, as this will reserve pretty much all your mana.

Tempest Shield (18%) + Hatred (21%) + Purity (29%) + Determination (29%) = 97% mana reserved with Level 18 Reduced Mana.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Sep 5, 2013, 1:41:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info