[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Xiaoyen wrote:

@Sovyn: 2 Koles back to back? Or was it a bug?

No bug. I did two in a row, just cut out a little boring video in the middle (I stopped in town to sell).

Just wanted to show this build can in fact take him on without taking any damage. Not many melee builds can say that.

FYI Those were not cherry picked from dozens of attempts, I just filmed it twice and that's it. So it's honest. A little luck not taking even one hit from him, sure. But still.
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 29, 2013, 5:13:23 PM
hi,

I am trying this one out (I am new to the game, been playing for a few days now - trying otu different classes,havent gotten past level 14 or so !)

I am liking it a lot.

I think I skipped taking that tempest buff spell gem as a quest reward (thought it was a onetime cast, and works only for next hit :-()

Is there a way to get it as a drop or should I try to trade etc?

I am only level 13 though. One question - how to raise dex - do I look for items with +Dex, as most swords I find I cant use since I dont have the dex

I use the following (got some yellows form other chars I tried earlier) - and am having a blast so far.!

"
seiferoth10 wrote:
No, Soul Taker allows you to still use melee attacks at 0 mana. It still drains your mana when you use Dominating Blow (or whatever melee skill you use), but when your mana reaches 0 you'll still be spamming Dominating Blow thanks to Soul Taker. Effectively you get to remove blood magic (or mana leech) from your melee skill and replace it with a dps gem, that's why Soul Taker is so godly and everyone wants one.

And yes, you can have a chest equipped along with Bringer as long as you have the chest equipped first, then put on Bringer. The stats don't count and you can not use the skills in the chest, but the gems will still gain experience and level like normal.

Wow... time to stockpile currency to get one then.
"
MildlyClever wrote:
hi,

I am trying this one out (I am new to the game, been playing for a few days now - trying otu different classes,havent gotten past level 14 or so !)

I am liking it a lot.

I think I skipped taking that tempest buff spell gem as a quest reward (thought it was a onetime cast, and works only for next hit :-()

Is there a way to get it as a drop or should I try to trade etc?

I am only level 13 though. One question - how to raise dex - do I look for items with +Dex, as most swords I find I cant use since I dont have the dex

I use the following (got some yellows form other chars I tried earlier) - and am having a blast so far.!

Best option is to have another toon just complete that quest again to pick up the gem. Tempest Shield gem DOES drop, and I think there is another quest for it as well, but rerolling a toon for the gem is an easier option (you can delete it after). You will find that you will be using the skill less and less later on, although it can be a situational option.

Why bother raising dex? Later on you will be getting dex nodes, and that should be enough to tide you over for almost all skills. The only time you really need dex are for the shiny crit swords (but take in consideration that there is a node that allows 100% hit but NO crits that you will be taking).

If you read through Sovyn's first post, the 3 main mods you need to look for are:

1) +hp
2) +str
3) +armor

Maybe throw in +int (for some aura gems), or +dex (for some gems but you don't need it when you hit the dex side of the tree), or even reduced stun & block. The last is an option if you get stunlocked often (due to low max hp). +resist will apply when you hit cruel and merciless. For normal you can get by with zero resists (although some will make it VERY much easier).

The build starts to shine later in the game, not early game. All the best!
So, I was staring at the passive tree, particularly how it dips into the marauder area at great cost, instead of going around the outside for much fewer nodes. I tried to replace what you would typically get by going into the marauder start area with nodes from templar and ranger areas, and I think the build came out better overall.

My current build, going into Marauder area.

Say no to Marauder area.

Diamond Skin (+12% resists) in Marauder area is replaced with Mind and Matter (20% armor, 15% ES, 8% resists) in Templar area.

Heart of the Gladiator/Troll's Blood in Marauder is replaced with Heart of Oak in Ranger area.

Lava Lash can be replaced with Catalyze in the Templar area, they're of similar benefit.

Thanks to Bringer, I was able to drop all the shield nodes in the Marauder area, so those are not a concern. If I need shield nodes in the future there's still shield nodes in the Duelist area.

Overall skipping the Marauder area will net you a little less life due to all the strength nodes you bypass, but you'll get much more dps thanks to the dense nodes in the Ranger area.

Just bouncing the thought off you guys. I've pretty much made up my mind to switch to the Ranger area, just need to procure the Regrets necessary.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Aug 30, 2013, 2:47:37 AM
Thanks Xiaoyen! I am a very slow leveller so will be a while but I agree, the build's focus is on str/hp, so I need to keep a lookout for str weapons (axe etc).

I will make (yet another) toon to get the tempest gem! :)
After endless of farming. I finally met my goal ! A soultaker >_<, and yes it's a must have item for this build. Can't say no to free mana for melee skills. This is my defense sheet w/o purity and no flask (30 K def with armor flask)

DPS got boosted by a bit to 11.2 k dps for double strike.

Final gear update
Spoiler
Last edited by Molochmane on Aug 30, 2013, 7:29:22 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Edzilla wrote:
Why not go Marauder? You save quite a few points wasted in physical damage, that can be obtain elsewhere for cheaper and better.

Yes, it would work. However, a refined spec would take some doing. For that matter, the duelist or ranger would work fine.

The Templar gets some nice block nodes early on which is perfect for this build.

I don't consider the damage nodes a waste.

Could you provide a 120 point marauder spec with better totals and no sacrifices verses the Templar build in the guide? I'm doubting that you can. But, please do impress me. :)

What I'm trying to say is, you waste a lot points in pretty bad damage nodes from the beginning part of templar. You can always get those block nodes or anything else from templar, while going marauder - but you only gain because your build goes all the way into marauder anyway.

Your tree 118 points
Spoiler

276 maximum life
53 evasion rating
5.4% life regen per second
222% increased max life
120% increased defences from shields
38% chance to block with shields
52% increased armor
44% to all resists (with shield)
32% increased evasion and armor
2% to max resists
2% life leech from physical attacks
40% increased evasion rating

126% increased melee physical damage
30% increased attack speed
76% increased melee physical damage with one handed melee weapons
16% WED

Vs.

My tree 118 points
Spoiler
250 max life
53 evasion rating
4.4 life regen per second
38% chance to block with shield
52% increased armor
232% increased maxium life
120% increased defences from shields
24% to all resists
2% to max resists
42% increased rating rating
4 maximum power charges

96% increased melee physical damage
35% increased attack speed
48% physical damage with one handed melee weapons
3% increased attack speed with one handed melee weapons

The stats are pretty similar - you have slightly more physical damage (though, melee physical damage is worthless with LS, which is the only skill i'd use with Soul taker) but I have 8% more attack speed, more 5 increased max health, and more effective armor since I go IR and actually use my evasion for something useful.

I also grabbed 1 endurance charge and static blows - mainly because it would be for a Bringer of Rain + Lightning Strike + Soul Taker build.

I dunno if you would call it better, but, if you wanted to go Lightning Strike, it would be easier for marauder - since if I drop my endurance charge and static blows, I would have 4 free points for more health, armor or damage/attack speed and it would probably surpass your tree in mitigation and at least match it in damage.
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
"
MildlyClever wrote:

I am liking it a lot.

Welcome!

Give an axe a try. It mostly requires strength, of which you will have plenty. The jade hatchet and cleaver require no dex, and the boarding axe only requires 19 dex which should be doable.

You can get by without tempest shield, it's only an honorable mention now.

Looks like a good start, keep us updated periodically. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 30, 2013, 3:22:28 PM
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
So, I was staring at the passive tree, particularly how it dips into the marauder area at great cost, instead of going around the outside for much fewer nodes. I tried to replace what you would typically get by going into the marauder start area with nodes from templar and ranger areas, and I think the build came out better overall.

Thanks for your experimentation, I appreciate it.

However, I don't think it's quite as good as the guide build:

1) You lose the two "reduced enemy critical strike multiplier" nodes which are a nice defense

2) Losing +30 to max life which is substantial when multiplied by life nodes

3) Losing a lot of blocking so this won't work for most people as max blocking is required to succeed

4) Losing too much intelligence to run purity at high levels which is required for most people to succeed

5) Finesse has a wasted accuracy stat, not a big deal

May be some other tradeoffs, I'd have to see a breakdown of all of the total stats for my suggested level 80 build vs. this one to properly analyze it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info