[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
maffa50 wrote:

Been looking at my passive tree compared to the guide tree for lvl 60 and I seem to somehow be missing about 8 points or so? Yes some of my points are in different places, 5 I think, but I still seem to be very far behind 0_o
Any insight as to my issue? please and thank you <3

Sorry if it's obvious, but have you claimed all of the skill points from completing the quests?

Also, you skipped bulwark, that's pretty huge early on, defensively.

I also notice you got the 1% regen node, berserking earlier than I recommend, thats 3 points....

.. also, you took wisdom of the glade... you get intelligence from going up through bulwark, etc..

... finally, I see a point spent a "one handed damage" node in the ranger area. I know you are going for weapon artistry, but bulwark is 8% blocking.

You can get by by just leveling up some more, or use some respec's. I'd probably just keep leveling as nothing is a total waste or anything like that, just not really following the guide per se.
I'm pretty sure I've gotten all available quest rewards. Apart from the quests I haven't done yet of course. Unless there is some sort of reward for clearing Catacombs as I have never done so.

Spoiler
I skipped Bulwark due to having Crest of Perandus and took Wisdom of the Glade in order to get the Int I lost by skipping Bulwark. However as was mentioned in a previous post, Crest isn't quite end-game material due to lack of evasion so I think I'll fix my passives in preparation. This will involve respecs as I am indeed a lazy pally. I will be sad to see the 15% increased attack speed go, at least until I reach it at the proper time anyways. I guess I'll let you know if things get better/worse after fix haha.

--edit--
I found where I'd gone wrong. I had prematurely spent points into the nodes after Phalanx. Gonna keep them as I would get them within the next 10 levels anyway but I did tweak my passives a little to bring character back on track :)

But the noob question still remains; Catacombs? D:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
Last edited by maffa50 on Aug 3, 2013, 6:25:50 AM
"
maffa50 wrote:

I found where I'd gone wrong. I had prematurely spent points into the nodes after Phalanx. Gonna keep them as I would get them within the next 10 levels anyway but I did tweak my passives a little to bring character back on track :)

But the noob question still remains; Catacombs? D:

I'm glad you are back on track!

Catacombs - nope, just a small chance of a large chest and a scribe's rack occasionally that might drop a map somewhat rarely. Fairly challenging area if done on-level or with low resists.
Hmm... I have purity on for spell casters, and determination for physical. Unfortunately running both of them kinda kills my mana pool, and my reduced mana gem is not high enough level to balance it out. I picked up Purity only in Cruel, so it's not up to par yet. No way I can run clarity as well to balance mana issues out then. Go for reduced reserved mana? At the moment I am rushing into the dex area so I can equip and level the dex items and gems. Picked this up, don't have the block mod but heck better than nothing:

Spoiler

Picked up ANOTHER good weapon. Thoughts? New one has better gem + link and a bit more elemental damage, but the weapon speed is not... as satisfying I guess. I can bump up a bit more damage with whetstone, but still... I am getting addicted to Sovyn's fast weapon mentality ><

Spoiler
Old >>

New >>

So far swapping auras has been a little more kind to me, and I have to be a little more hardworking for casters by shield charging in, killing 1 or 2, then shield charging out to allow hp flask to recharge life. TOTALLY hate Vaal ruins and Ancient Temple. Can't wait to see Act 3 Solaris/Lunaris temple now -_-".

I am very inclined to keep the old weapon, but the new weapon is also very tempting...
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Aug 3, 2013, 3:14:03 PM
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
No way I can run clarity as well to balance mana issues out then. Go for reduced reserved mana? At the moment I am rushing into the dex area so I can equip and level the dex items and gems.

Picked up ANOTHER good weapon. Thoughts?

Run level 2 or 3 clarity with a blood magic support gem if you want. Honestly the only way to keep up is with mana leech, either the support gem or an item. With the mana leech item it only leeches from physical damage, so you would need to trim your mana consumption to suit. Try something like heavy strike + melee physical damage + multistrike (or added fire damage or faster attacks if you don't have multistrike). That combo uses little mana for the damage it does.

If you want a different AOE skill other than multi-heavystrike, you would need the mana leech support gem as it will leech based on elemental damage as well.

Don't bother with the three points for reduced mana reserved. Better spent elsewhere.

When your reduced mana gem has leveled up a bit it will help. You can then run purity and determination on your mana no problem - I run both of those AND hatred on mana and have 90+ mana left for skills. I never run out.

Choose whichever weapon does the most DPS on your character sheet. If close, pick the faster one.
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 3, 2013, 4:08:32 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
No way I can run clarity as well to balance mana issues out then. Go for reduced reserved mana? At the moment I am rushing into the dex area so I can equip and level the dex items and gems.

Picked up ANOTHER good weapon. Thoughts?

Run level 2 or 3 clarity with a blood magic support gem if you want. Honestly the only way to keep up is with mana leech, either the support gem or an item. With the mana leech item it only leeches from physical damage, so you would need to trim your mana consumption to suit. Try something like heavy strike + melee physical damage + multistrike (or added fire damage or faster attacks if you don't have multistrike). That combo uses little mana for the damage it does.

If you want a different AOE skill other than multi-heavystrike, you would need the mana leech support gem as it will leech based on elemental damage as well.

Don't bother with the three points for reduced mana reserved. Better spent elsewhere.

When your reduced mana gem has leveled up a bit it will help. You can then run purity and determination on your mana no problem - I run both of those AND hatred on mana and have 90+ mana left for skills. I never run out.

Choose whichever weapon does the most DPS on your character sheet. If close, pick the faster one.

Many thanks Sovyn, insightful as always. Will have to play around with my gems a little more (getting those linked items with IIR is soooo frustrating!!). Trying to keep as self found as possible. :)
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Many thanks Sovyn, insightful as always. Will have to play around with my gems a little more (getting those linked items with IIR is soooo frustrating!!). Trying to keep as self found as possible. :)

Good for you - I think the game is much more fun playing self found as there is always the hope that something nice will drop. Otherwise, if one already has everything they need, what's the point?

In any case, if you wanted to play around with a mana leech gem, the quest "sharp and cruel" in act 2 cruel offers it as a quest reward for the shadow, ranger or duelist, if you have any other characters. I'd consider that self found enough.
A little update, I found a nice pair of gloves today in a Labyrinthine thicket map (along with three more maps - pretty good run):

I'm thinking of crafting the gloves as it's hard to four link sometimes and that is a top base item.

It will be tricky to replace the resists and life on my current gloves however:

I'll probably go for it though with alchemy then chaos until I get something close to what I need.
The new attack skill coming out in patch 11.4 sounds like something to keep an eye on for this build. It is called Reave.
1 alchemy, 8 chaos later I ended up with these:

I had one roll with solid cold + lightning resists, which would be ideal, but it only had 25 life or something like that so I kept going.

I might make do with these for now as that's starting to get really expensive for me! :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 5, 2013, 1:56:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info