[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I did die to desync a few times, but that was due to 2 factors:

1) overconfidence
2) level of gear (not maxed block yet, nor am i resist capped)

So far reading the desync threads (yes, a LOT of QQ out there) is that desync will be a very tough cookie to crack for GGG. That being said, hopefully they get to minimise the desync issue by 11.4 as you have said. Else this desync problem sandboxes us to 2 kind of builds: massive tanky (like yours) or ranged/minion (minion build may actually be worse, but you may not die as much as you are standing away from where the volcano is erupting).

Edit in: So yes, I am loving the build cuz I get quite a few lag spikes plus desync is an issue for me. Having a safety net in terms of block and heaps of HP helps MASSIVELY.
Last edited by Xiaoyen on Aug 2, 2013, 1:49:31 AM
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
Bloody hell, that's very very nice gear Tiggyr

Pretty much sums it up... xD

I guess this is only semi on topic, but if one wanted to purchase a Bringer of Rain, how much would one have to fork up?
I'm currently Act 2 Merc and it's easy to tell that I wont be able to afford it for a very long time, most likely well into endgame. I'm not sure if there is actually any answer to this as I've never been to endgame before, but how many maps (or how many hours of gameplay) would it take to save up enough currency for a Bringer of Rain? Will a poor noob like me ever afford such an item? D:

Apologies to all as this post is really more about asking for general advice than about the build.

---

Also in response to the recent discussion about HS vs IB, from a 'newbie' point of view I've found that HS is a lot safer, if a little slower at clearing large packs, than IB. Plus HS's single target damage at 2k without any damage auras to IB's 1k (I run HS + Faster Attacks + Multi Strike + Melee Damage + Blind) is a lot better for harder mobs and bosses, and seeing as I can only run one attack, HS trumps IB. I can use HS forever but IB uses too much mana for my low pool and even my mana leech with 4% from items and then a Mana Leech gem linked in instead of Blind. So I've found HS a lot friendlier for a lower level and less experienced player.

Just my 2 cents ^_^

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
this build is working out pretty good so far in onslaught! I'm lvl 43 now I think, my gear:

Spoiler
Rampage IGN: RIP_Stannis_Baratheon
@tiggyr

wow EXCELLENT gear, congrats

@maffa50

Theres no answer to your question.
I think The bringer of rain is 2-3 exalted minimum today.
Orbs are randomly dropped, you can't expect to find 3 exalted in a few weeks, except if you're crazy lucky.
I think I have found only 3 pure exalted with all my characters.

If you are lucky, you'll found another good rares / uniques and will be able to sell them. It's easier to get exalted that way rather than waiting for an exalted orb drop.
iir / iiq will help here

Another resource would be adding a lot of alterations / fusing then trading into exalted.

I'd said don't expect having enough orbs to buy up to playing more than one month most days, two hours a day .

Anyway I would priorize having a good weapon before going for that item.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
AntonChigur wrote:
this build is working out pretty good so far in onslaught!

I'm glad it's working out for you. :)

I'd consider replacing the weapon elemental damage support on your heavy strike with either added fire damage or multistrike if available.
Didn't work out for me in Onslaught. I made it to merciless but with self found only gear I can honestly say it requires luck and you won't have max block till at least around lvl 60+.
I didn't make it that far, just around 52-ish.

It's an interesting build that works decently well but you'll run into these issues especially if you're self found. If you have gear ahead of time they pretty much have to address these issues or compensate for them. Granted most builds have the same issues.

-low life pool, you get few nodes between act 3 normal and act 1 merciless (ie between level like 20 and 50 it's a tough ride)
-Because a lot of points seem to be spent on the highway between Act 3 normal and act 1 merciless it doesn't scale very well in those difficulties.
- projectiles are an issue and Ondar's Guile is out of your reach till well into merciless. especially chaos damage projectiles.
- Slow attack speed and lack of damage
-build is heavily about max block but you won't experience max block till sometime in Merciless.

These problems can pretty much be solved with planned gear ahead of time. Or luck if you're running self found.
The biggest issue with the build imo is that while the lazy templar spends most of cruel expanding the passive highway and grabbing a few block,life and damage nodes. Other more tested builds are getting their specializations to be even more powerful. This is why I noticed myself gradually getting weaker and weaker in comparison to other builds around me. I know the lazy templar isn't a primary damage dealer, but I also wasn't defensive enough in cruel to solo past the bosses. So I wasn't particularly helpful in killing things, or tanking things, or providing support. But I also couldn't lazy my way through the content on solo.

So overall, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine softcore build but in hardcore, you either get your gear on standby, just waiting to overcome these hurdles. or level as something like an elemental cleaver till you grind out to lvl 60+, because the build will not have an easy time getting you there. And certainly not in solo.

-atleast this was my experience, hopefully others fair better in onslaught. :)
Last edited by NoodlePirate on Aug 2, 2013, 9:01:35 PM

Picked up a new weapon, hooray! Fully AGREE with Sovyn that a fast weapon works WONDERS. I am clearing waaay much faster now.

However. Should I ditch my IIR rings for resist rings? I am getting stomped on by casters especially lightning ones. I can balance out the chaos damage with 1 or 2 flask charges, but chain zapped just kills me within seconds. I had a total of 5 to 6 deaths in Cruel Chamber of Sins itself and it was hella frustrating. Run back, map reset, disconnect, map reset. Horrible night for me.

Been looking at my passive tree compared to the guide tree for lvl 60 and I seem to somehow be missing about 8 points or so? Yes some of my points are in different places, 5 I think, but I still seem to be very far behind 0_o
Any insight as to my issue? please and thank you <3

@ Xiaoyen

I use IIR + IIQ whilst grinding and then swap to resists for the actual quests otherwise I'd get destroyed. Hard luck with the deaths, but that's nice attack speed on a hammer ^_^

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
"
NoodlePirate wrote:
Didn't work out for me in Onslaught.

It's an interesting build that works decently well but you'll run into these issues especially if you're self found. If you have gear ahead of time they pretty much have to address these issues or compensate for them. Granted most builds have the same issues.

Sorry it did not work out for you. I think any build requires farming or trading for adequate gear to succeed. In this case, a good weapon, updated constantly as one levels, and leveled up skill gems are required for damage, and good life gear is required to survive until level 60 or so when one will start to see the build flesh out. Pretty hard to run out into "super hardcore" (onslaught) without a really nice suit of gear as a melee.
"
Xiaoyen wrote:

Picked up a new weapon, hooray! Fully AGREE with Sovyn that a fast weapon works WONDERS. I am clearing waaay much faster now.

However. Should I ditch my IIR rings for resist rings? I am getting stomped on by casters especially lightning ones. I can balance out the chaos damage with 1 or 2 flask charges, but chain zapped just kills me within seconds. I had a total of 5 to 6 deaths in Cruel Chamber of Sins itself and it was hella frustrating. Run back, map reset, disconnect, map reset. Horrible night for me.

Grats on the weapon upgrade. As to resists, are you running Purity? Is it leveled up?

In any event, you need to balance out the resists on your gear so they are all pretty even - 50 at least. Not hard to do, just need a couple pieces with some to each resist. For example, a chest with 30 lightning and a ring with 20 lightning.

Alternatively if self found, you can get by switching sets of 30 res rings for a while. Just change them out depending on the predominate spell damage going on in an area. I have used that as crutch on my other characters, admittedly they don't have nearly the resists from the passive skill tree that this build has.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info