[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
So, are those defensive stats I see on the front page really from 2.3 using an inquisitor? I can see that your total spell block chance is equal to just under your block chance, then plus a bit of a flat bonus, but how are you hitting 75% block chance at the end? I feel like I must be missing something in the calculation.

Yes, the stats are from 2.3. I'm 72 to both block types with tree/jewels/amulet/shield/boots and then 3 from tempest shield which is almost always up, for a total 75. You can get almost that much very cheap. The shield corruption is rare so most will skip that.

Yeah, I found my mistake. Thanks!

So, I'm in merciless now (just act 1), have managed to not die yet (I play softcore and usually die a ton from carelessness), and I have two questions:

1) if using Abyssus, is a reasonable 6th link Increased Critical Strikes over Faster Attacks? If I really do end up using Doryani's Catalyst instead of a high-crit phys weapon, it seems like this build doesn't crit all that often (which is why your version uses romira's in the first place, I'd imagine?), but the flat phys isn't even the biggest benefit of abyssus--the crit multi is, which means you want to crit as often as possible. And yes, I realize BoR gives 6% block chance that I need to make up elsewhere... I have a plan for 5% of that compared to your gear (+1 from perfect reckless defence, +2 from perfect amulet corruption, +1 each from the other 2 jewel slots)... the 6th will maybe come from a rare 31% block shield?

2) how does this build deal with the super hardcore damage over time from Shock and Horror and The Goddess (plaza boss)? Those can't be blocked, right? I guess I saw you mention purity of lightning for the former, so is the answer that you just kind of tank that while leeching/regenning off of her? If that's the only viable strategy, what element is The Goddess's damage over time beam?
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 26, 2016, 4:59:20 PM
"
1) if using Abyssus, is a reasonable 6th link Increased Critical Strikes over Faster Attacks? If I really do end up using Doryani's Catalyst instead of a high-crit phys weapon, it seems like this build doesn't crit all that often (which is why your version uses romira's in the first place, I'd imagine?), but the flat phys isn't even the biggest benefit of abyssus--the crit multi is, which means you want to crit as often as possible. And yes, I realize BoR gives 6% block chance that I need to make up elsewhere... I have a plan for 5% of that compared to your gear (+1 from perfect reckless defence, +2 from perfect amulet corruption, +1 each from the other 2 jewel slots)... the 6th will maybe come from a rare 31% block shield?

2) how does this build deal with the super hardcore damage over time from Shock and Horror and The Goddess (plaza boss)? Those can't be blocked, right? I guess I saw you mention purity of lightning for the former, so is the answer that you just kind of tank that while leeching/regenning off of her? If that's the only viable strategy, what element is The Goddess's damage over time beam?

1) I wouldn't use Abyssus without lightning coil and purity of lightning instead of herald of ash. That's because you'll take so much more physical damage with abyssus equipped and lightning coil helps to counter that. Even then you may have trouble sustaining blood rage. Increased crits may be a reasonable support choice. In order to change the build you really need to run timed clear speed tests with my current setup vs. an abyssus setup and see which is better for you. Gorge map is the standard choice. All of my gear is super cheap, at least without corruptions/enchants, so it won't cost you much to try it.

2) I haven't tried plaza (I think it's a new map) but for Shock and Horror you have to hide behind the pillar when the beam starts, that's the way it's meant to be done.
Yeah, I know that's how it's meant to be done, but double boss is generally impossible for people who can't just leech their way through the fight or kill them before the DoT starts, and the Plaza boss (you're correct, it's a new map, but on my first character this league literally 3/4 of his t14 map drops have been plaza, ugggggh), on top of having shock and horror's crazy degen beam, _teleports around_ instead of walking slowly and mostly standing still. So on top of needing to duck behind pillars if you can't out-leech her, you also have to constantly reposition yourself and adjust to a new pillar position. And on top of that, the pillars are thinner than in the torture chamber! It is literally the worst map boss :(

I was hoping that a build designed to be tanky would have some way to get around that, but I guess not.
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 26, 2016, 8:25:48 PM
"
Yeah, I know that's how it's meant to be done, but double boss is generally impossible for people who can't just leech their way through the fight or kill them before the DoT starts

I can probably kill shock and horror before the dot starts now, most map bosses go down in a couple seconds. At lower level and with worse gear and gems, who knows.

Most people trying to level or in hardcore skip these bosses as the potential rewards are generally not worth it, but you could also just re-roll a double boss map for these.

Hitting atziri's promise for more leech would help a bit. However, a 4000 life/sec beam is generally not meant to just tank it.
So, I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize. Basically, I work very often and love simple, cheap builds. I really only do self-found but will buy things that make my life easier such as The Bringer of Rain (no 6L worries!).

Would an alternative non-crit start be alright or do you think the damage would lack too much? I was thinking something along the lines of The Anvil and do a non-crit, Phys Gladator with Earthquake (I'll still use your recommended auras). I was thinking of Versatile Combatant (Pain Forged) + Violent Retaliation + Outmatch and Outlast.

In Bringer of Rain, I think I would do Earthquake + Less Duration + Multistrike + Fortify

I've re-routed the points as you suggested and put them into the duelist phys nodes down in the 'Spoiler' below. I've also traded out a few points (like the Attack Speed from Berserking) to pick up more Frenzy Charge nodes.

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQAAQDuBIcEsQSzBS0GOQkzC2EM9w3NFCAU9hUgFewZtBo-G60czigqKk0rUCzpLYMvzDJONZI64TwFPC09Dz3iPydAoEMxR35I7krITeNPfVBHUWBU_loaXz9i7GVNZ5to8m6qcql07XiueTl673sUfNl-4oBWg1-DzITZhO-GO4azi0-PmZS4l3mZK6IApleplayvrj6vbK-nsbO18raKtz65Hb02vYG95r6nwGbAv8GCwzPE9sauypDRNtN-2L3aweIs5FHvDu9673zwH_Iv8kX2o_cy-WP-Cv5U_o8=

Thanks for your guide! :)
Last edited by Jakzca on Jun 27, 2016, 3:46:11 AM
"
Jakzca wrote:
Would an alternative non-crit start be alright or do you think the damage would lack too much?

It is going to lack somewhat. If you trade for a BoR, you would be crippling yourself by not at least trading for a doryani's as well.

Also, you would want added fire instead of multistrike with earthquake, although you are missing out on an awesome synergy with physical to lightning and weapon elemental damage supports.

If you don't mind gem swapping, Earthquake - Increased Area of Effect - Added Fire Damage - Less Duration is the best earthquake combo for clearing maps. Concentrated effect in the blue socket for bosses.

I would at least seriously reconsider putting fortify on your attack skill because it's so easy to apply fortify now with the new and improved shield charge skill.

If I were you and really didn't want a straightforward crit build for some reason I would consider elemental overload instead of the stuff past the ranger block nodes and RT. Like this. Of course I'd use this tree with my current gem combo, eq, phys to lt, WED, less dur.
"
Jakzca wrote:
In Bringer of Rain, I think I would do Earthquake + Less Duration + Multistrike + Fortify

You really do not ever ever ever want to link Earthquake to Multistrike. It is literally the worst possible link for Earthquake unless you can get EQ down to 95% reduced duration (hint: you can't). Look up (or read in this topic; Sovyn's analysis of the skill is correct) how EQ's aftershock works. It is not like static strike; you cannot stack them. multistrike will get you waaaay less aftershock DPS than is acceptable. Even if you linked it to a Marohi Erqi (the go-to maul for 2H earthquake because it's slow and hits like a truck) it would be an unacceptable link because you'd just be attacking *too quickly*, and each hit (and therefore aftershock!) would do less damage.

I realize I have been asking some dumb questions in this topic, but I played a 2H EQ Champion during the perandus 2-week league that I leveled to 90 in that time, so please believe me, I know EQ.
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 27, 2016, 7:40:59 AM
"
You really do not ever ever ever want to link Earthquake to Multistrike.

Just for info this is supported by my test results in the FAQ on the first page as well.

Earthquake(13) - Weapon Elemental Damage - Added Fire Damage - Multistrike
32 seconds

vs.

Earthquake(13) - Physical to Lightning - Weapon Elemental Damage - Less Duration
19 seconds

Lower times are better.
Thanks for the replies Sovyn & HikaruYami. I just looked at the prices on some of the core items like Bringer of Rain, Rainbowstride, Stone of Lazhwar and everything is one chaos or less. I suppose I'll just stick to the default build and use Static Strike. I guess it's not as big of a deal as I thought it was, I'm just using pots, making sure auras are on and right-clicking for Fortify.

My intent on the Duelist was just to free up item slots and not even have to worry about buying/trading, save skill points (by not using crit) and to make the build even more passive. The last thing I want to do is to worry about having to swap out gems and moving things around, I just want to get in there and kick some ass.
Last edited by Jakzca on Jun 27, 2016, 6:29:22 PM
"
Jakzca wrote:
I just want to get in there and kick some ass.

Me too, and to do that you need some DPS which the build does provide as-is. You can see my current gear section by scrolling down on the first page, pretty much any other budget gear or gems would be a worse choice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info