[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hmm... I just reached lvl 51.

I am a bit ahead of myself though, just finished piety (with ease btw) on cruel, so Im kinda on par with the map lvl.

This build is awesome. Block chance is really high, I also managed to get a 50% block to spell amulet, so I can block a few spells aswell. Awesome survivability.

Though I noticed a few things.

1. Att speed is still kinda slow (im using Multistrike + faster attack, but I still have 0.28s att speed, which is kinda slow for leeching. You can see the impact of not being able to alternate weapons, coupled with multistrike you get higher speed and control aswell. But it's not that big of a deal anyway, not something to brag about tbh.

2. the dmg sucks. Everything is dying veeeeeeeery slowly. And I'm quite decently geared for my lvl.

Gear:

Spoiler

Any ideas sovyn what to do?

Oh yeah, I'm using Hatred + Herald of Ash mostly for the additional dps, tho I recently switched to grace+tempest (still waiting for reduced mana gem to lvl up so I can run grace + determination) due to the fact that I got pwned in one of the vaal dungeons recently (only had 28 phys red and 26% evade chance, now its much better tho).

My resists on cruel are sitting all above 100%. So I have a very solid reserve for merciless. Except for chaos ofc.

The main problem (and the only one tbh) here is the damage. It is so low for most of the time, that I barely out dps mobs with life regen, while quite impossible to kill mobs with life leech combined with high damage + hp. He can't kill me too, but I imagine we could be smashing each other for 5 days and nothing would happen.

My tooltip dps is slightly under 1000, with hatred around 1.3k.

In comparison to my other char, dual claw shadow it looks like this: Attack dmg is swapped for brutal defense.

I was able to leech MUCH more with the shadow build (also had high dps, with worse weapons than the one in my current gear), I had high dmg ofc (around 4-5k dps on reave at lvl 61 and 8-9kdps on dual strike).

The only problem with my shadow was that it just cannot take fast big hits, leech is of no use there, cos the dmg is done faster than the leech happens. Otherwise normal clear speed was way higher.

Does this ever change here? Like, after lvl 60 ?

Edit: Forgot to say, although the dmg is currently low at lvl 51, I was able to facetank every white/blue/rare/unique/boss for now. Didn't even have to avoid the big hits, like vaals smash etc.

Although I was able to do the same with that shadow aswell (tested up to geofry merciless), with much bigger dps ofc. It was the rares actually that were blowing me apart lol. Like the bug laying queen with LMP mod and fast casting on merciless. Couldn't even get near the damn thing without being 2-3 hit killed. I would assume that it will be a whole different story with this though. It's just way more tanky than the previous build I had.
Last edited by Sparkl on Aug 26, 2014, 11:51:07 PM
Have lvl 83 now on Rampage - edited this build for fresh start on new league:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLEM9xRSFSAXLxm0G60jTSP2Jy8n7SgqKk0s6TB8NZI8LT3iPydANkRyR35I7krITGBNkk99UWBT31XWWNtZ814fXz9fymTnZU1mnmebapNsFm5pbqpyqXiufNl-vX7ifyuAVoCkhMSE2YcZjX2QVZVml_6bapuDoLSiAKOKpKysqqyvr2yvp7T5tfK3PrfTvJ-9gb6nwA_AGsQVxPbFisauytPRNtJN037V7daK18vYveOf5FHp1e8O73rwH_Iv8wb2o_rS-6r8S_4K

*Grab early aura nodes - so i can do easly 2 aura almost with low lvl reduced mana gem on 40lvl
**Going to Maradeur, so can have more life+easy 1.5% life regen, and important 15% all ress (as we know in new league we havent good items with ress)
***Decided to change way to get RT, grabing 2 STR points instead of armour/es&life nodes/2str = too much points into blackhole in your build in this way i think.
****Main difference - i dont go to Witch, cause u spent TOO MUCH points, as i think, for 8%spellblock and blast radius; dont grab Amplify on templar, cause i think it dont worth it - reave 8xradius with conc effect is effectively OK, any way - more radius dont affect dps.
My current items:

Reave dps = 18k, 3.8k life, 7k armour(40% phyz reduction)/7.2k EVA(40%), 74%block/56%spellblock
Want to buy SoL with 1 extra curse, that let to bring Temporal Chains into play. Obviosly need shield 2k armour, all ress, 90 life and go on ... )
p.s. Sadly with aura nerf cant use determination - but Herald of Ash rocks on solo-play.
P.s.s. Any way ty for great build man
Last edited by Arish on Aug 27, 2014, 12:36:43 AM
"
Sparkl wrote:
Hmm... I just reached lvl 51.

Any ideas sovyn what to do?

Hi Sparkl! Level 51 is still pretty low, this build is designed to be good vs. endgame bosses like merciless dominus and all of the map bosses beyond that. An ordinary melee build will be melted by that stuff. Keep at it though if you want a melee build with endgame potential at an affordable cost.

As to your current lack of DPS, Mightflay is not bad but only 118 DPS, something in the range of 150-170 dps should only cost 1 chaos or something. Have to upgrade weapons frequently while leveling with any melee build -- most experienced players have sets of leveling weapons for this.

Gems - need melee physical damage (MPD) on there as it's our best support. Reave does not really shine until later when your attack speed goes up a lot, then it's the best.

Gloves - physical damage on them, or get slitherpinch for leech and swap out LGoH for MPD. Or, use a claw as I do (6% leech from the best claw is enough I find for endgame, I'm not afraid to use flasks as it's actually a pretty lazy exercise I learned playing diablo 1/2).

Belt - perhaps a 24% rustic sash (cheap) or Meginord's if you find that.

After level 60 we start taking some of the damage (and attack speed) nodes. My DPS is currently 16K solo / 20K group. I kill stuff quick because it's physical damage which is resisted very little and I have so much block of both kinds that I don't have to run around like most do and can just stick on the mobs.
Hey, somewhat new to the game but I was just wondering, why do you get the skill point from the cruel bandit reward instead of the +18% physical damage?
"
Arish wrote:
Have lvl 83 now on Rampage - edited this build for fresh start on new league

Hi Arish. Well, I respect how fast you leveled in a new league. But I'd have to disagree on the AOE nodes, they are well worth it for clearing efficiency. Tooltip DPS has little to do with it. Killing that guy on the other side of the room at the same time as you kill the one in front of you does. I've done days and days of stopwatch testing. Also, for the true endgame, 50-something spell block is not going to cut it, so we need those nodes. I also got a pretty efficient life cluster in the witch area as a bonus. Figure 7 travel nodes -- 6 really, because we would need at least a 30 int node anyway. That's nothing compared to a MoM/EB build. I think we are ok as-is. I'm at 76% spell block with 78% regular block which is required to do *all* bosses -- again, well worth it. GGG is mixing things up and making it harder all the time, some of the redesigned bosses and rogues deal out punishment that melts everyone around me. I'm sure you will do fine though.
"
chainsauce wrote:
Hey, somewhat new to the game but I was just wondering, why do you get the skill point from the cruel bandit reward instead of the +18% physical damage?

You can, but a skill point can be re-allocated every 3-4 months for free when we get the re-specs in between leagues, and we take many damage nodes that are better than an 18% (attack speed scales way better than plain damage).
Hey Sovyn,

Followed your build for a while. Think you could help me out with a duelist tree? It's been a few months since I played, and I last remember you going closer to the duelist area. Guess things got changed up and I'm a bit lost trying to figure it out on a duelist. Got a BOR so I don't need to go overkill on the block.
Hm, try out your way to witch, when aquare raphide shield with spellblock.One more question to you Sovyn - pls explain, how much your amulet(anvil i meany) recover life for blocks and so high spell block? Are u can, literally, stay afk with him and not be killed?
Ok, update.

Now at lvl 57, things are getting a bit easier tbh. I managed to get the dps to 1.6k, though it still too little to leech effectively when tanking larger groups.

Currently at merciless act 2. The problem is that some of the rare bosses are a pain in the ass. Like the regen ones, I usually cannot outdps the regen.

The gear as is atm is kind of ok. I replaced the spell block amulet for now with the life leech amulet for now, but still have to decide what to do with it.

Spoiler

So, with the claw I took from my shadow I do quite a bit more dps, and I have a much faster att speed atm (around 0.18 on the tooltip for reave)

Though I see I will need to invest in a better claw/something. What do you suggest I look for?
Hm, rechange my wish skill-three build - cuase dont see 2spellblock node on witch, so that totally 10%spell block from she, that too much...
So u get anvil - to compensate block nodes to spent it on way, and get free 3$max block&450AR for compensate no AR-shield, hm it's can work rly.
So as i see - The Anvil rocks with this build and with 10% SBlock from witch it may be much better that SoL - right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info