[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Kuri_neko wrote:
I just wanted to drop in and talk about this build from a new players perspective. Ive tried and failed with a few different builds before but this is the first one where I took it to the end of normal and beat dominus. The end fight was mostly a war of attrition but just about every other fight in the game I felt tanky enough to be effective and felt like I had enough damage that I was making reasonable progress in the fight. On the plus side for boss fights (except dominus) I was tanky enough that I never had to go back to town mid fight as long as I did proper flask management.

That said, I think Im going to experiment with some other builds again and replay the game but Im looking forward to taking this build into Cruel difficulty down the road.

All that said, thanks for the build Sovyn. I enjoyed it and found it pretty effective (as well as pretty newbie friendly)

How did you handle Dominus' touch of god?
"
Kuri_neko wrote:
I just wanted to drop in and talk about this build from a new players perspective. Ive tried and failed with a few different builds before but this is the first one where I took it to the end of normal and beat dominus. The end fight was mostly a war of attrition but just about every other fight in the game I felt tanky enough to be effective and felt like I had enough damage that I was making reasonable progress in the fight. On the plus side for boss fights (except dominus) I was tanky enough that I never had to go back to town mid fight as long as I did proper flask management.

That said, I think Im going to experiment with some other builds again and replay the game but Im looking forward to taking this build into Cruel difficulty down the road.

All that said, thanks for the build Sovyn. I enjoyed it and found it pretty effective (as well as pretty newbie friendly)

Thanks for the feedback, Kuri. Glad you enjoyed playing through. :) Needless to say, things only get better from there with good gear. Enjoy your time playing other builds as well, and see you on the other side.
"
blacklabel67k wrote:
Thanks going to give this a shot on my first playthrough.

Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck! The first time through is fun, for sure.
"
Vulpix0r wrote:

How did you handle Dominus' touch of god?

I can comment on this... have to get out of the way when you see him winding up for the punch. Whirling blades or leap slam. Definitely requires a twitch gamer to pull it off well in Merciless. Pretty similar to Vaal in that way. We can fully block it some of the time, and partially most of the time..... but better not to gamble on that. People that can take a touch of god in merciless and not die were just lucky or really well geared (hello Kaom's), in which case the passive tree build is not very important. Granite flasks help, but hard to keep them up for too long with a non-crit build. Overcapping lightning resist helps in this case - purity of lightning aura 17+. Can drop grace if you have plenty of evasion from gear and use hatred or purities situationally instead.
Last edited by Sovyn on Apr 2, 2014, 3:55:52 AM
Sovyn:

I could use some help with my guy, he is currently level 67 doing maps. I am using a very sloooooow & powerful mace as my weapon of choice.

I'm using a level 17 ground slam w/18% quality - with Multistrike - Fast Atk - Melee Phys Damage & Item Rarity 52%. (I have a level 15 chaos damage gem and a level 9 Increased Area of Effect gem (+28% increased area of effect), it is 12% quality.

Heavy Strike has Multistrike - Fast Atk - Melee Phys Damage

Leap Slam has - Fast Atk - Stun

I also have 2 CWDT gems in play with: Decoy - Molten Shell - End Cry - Imortal Call - Temporal Chains. Warlords Mark is also being used just now with CWDT.

I spent 6 passives earlier than the build calls for (Bloodless = 3 passives - felt I needed Bloodless at the time) & (Amplify = 3 passives - To help Ground Slam)

I have been running maps since level 63 with little difficulty, but at level 66 I started using this mace, it really has amazing damage and even though the damage is equal to the ax I showed in an earlier post I am wondering if I should grab those attack speed nodes now or wait.

I would also welcome advice and/or recommendations on which gear/rings/amy to consider replacing first.

Some Stats @ Level 67:

Life: 2464
Mana: 361

Armor: 2622 -- 3855 (w/determination)
Evasion: 1079 -- 3919 (w/grace)
Ch to Ev: 19% -- 40% (w/grace)

Chance to Block: 73%
Mana Leach: 2% (running 1 aura - Chaos & Inc. Area Effect jump to 64 mana = problem)
Life Leach: 3% (running 1 aura - no life worries to speak of)

Fire: 75% -- 132%
Cold: 75% -- 78%
Light: 75% -- 78%
Chaos: -14%

Heavy Strike - cost: 28 mana: 5,546 -- 6,088 (w/Haste)
Leap Slam - cost: 19 mana: 1,153 -- 1,266 (w/Haste)
Ground Slam - cost: 43 mana: 2,984 -- 3,283 (w/Haste)

DPS: 1,056 -- 1,206 (w/Haste)
APS: 1.13 -- 1.29 (w/Haste)

110 IR -- +52% Gem w/Ground Slam = 162 IR

My reduced mana gem is level 16, so I still cant run two 60% Aura's yet.

My current gear:

My Build at level 67:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwB5wSzFCAUTRRxFSAYkRo4GtsbrRv6HRQjTSXfKMUqTSzpNug62D3iPydANkRySO5KfUrITDVN2E99UEdRYFPfVvpYr1jbWfNlTWaeZ6BuqnB9cql0QXfXeA182X8rgFaBb4M4hMSE2Yd2jHaQVZuDnjyiAKQZpzCnhKlurKqsr7T5tfK3076KwBrDhtaK18vdDeeR6hjsOO4O73zwH_O-9zL46_rS_MU=

** One thought I had was to respec out of Bloodless and use those 3 passives for the 3 fast attack nodes for an added 18% and then I could stop using "Haste" and use either determination or grace until my reduced mana is able to support both.

** I have also been thinking that the Increased Area Of Effect gem would be better to use than the Added Chaos Damage gem which currently adds 200 dps if I put it on. Regardless, the mana use jumps to 64 mana if I put in either one which is an issue until I get more mana leach on something.

I am open to all suggestions.

Ishkabibble

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Apr 2, 2014, 5:52:32 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
I can comment on this... have to get out of the way when you see him winding up for the punch. Whirling blades or leap slam. Definitely requires a twitch gamer to pull it off well in Merciless. Pretty similar to Vaal in that way. We can fully block it some of the time, and partially most of the time..... but better not to gamble on that. People that can take a touch of god in merciless and not die were just lucky or really well geared (hello Kaom's), in which case the passive tree build is not very important. Granite flasks help, but hard to keep them up for too long with a non-crit build. Overcapping lightning resist helps in this case - purity of lightning aura 17+. Can drop grace if you have plenty of evasion from gear and use hatred or purities situationally instead.

I've been running jade flask with 98% improved evasion, my dodge chance goes up to over 50%, but those spirits he shoots get me plenty. Merc Dominus was pretty much a one time kill for me, I avoid him there and in maps like the plague because I don't like flushing an entire level of XP for no gain.

That fight is way overtuned against melee for the first half. The second half is trivial (facetanked the whole thing, never took enough damage to care about potting let alone moving).

30% boots + some extra movement speed on items helps a tonne + some form of movement ability helps a tonne.
"
Ishkabibble wrote:
Sovyn:

I could use some help with my guy, he is currently level 67 doing maps. I am using a very sloooooow & powerful mace as my weapon of choice.

3K DPS is a little low, I do over 8k with a damage aura running (hatred) with reave with a worse weapon than yours. Ground slam is pretty similar, although only Deals 80% of Base Damage, whereas reave does 100%. Still, you should be over 6K easy. I'd probably use hatred instead of haste. At least level them both up and compare.

Minor thing - You could get a rustic sash with 24% or just hit a few 24% drops with alchemy, probably get something decent. Another minor thing - get seasoned sinew

Not much life on your gear, I know it's hard when you are self found as perfect rare items are actually not supposed to drop from monsters at all.

You want concentrated effect (preferably quality) instead of item rarity when you are not just farming easy stuff.

Finally, consider a whole set of gear without any IR on it and focus on life (70+ on every piece), armor (while maintaining *some* evasion) and max resists of course. Have to focus on strong defensive stats as melee. Then just swap your weapon for something with culling strike support on it for the final blow on bosses. A three-link is fine. Double strike - culling strike - item rarity. Or http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reaper%27s_Pursuit
I'm playing my Spectral Throw 2H Battleaxe Duelist and having a fun time so far, but I came across this:

and I might be picking up the Block build sooner rather than later!
"
K0rrupted wrote:
I'm playing my Spectral Throw 2H Battleaxe Duelist and having a fun time so far, but I came across this:

and I might be picking up the Block build sooner rather than later!

I picked up like 6 of these so far in the league. Gave away 1 in 5055, and gave the rest to other newbie friends. Not sure what this sign is. ;_;
Crest of Perandus has proven to be fairly rare for me, only found one, ever. However, I have found 5 or 6 stone of lazhwar, which some people have a hard time finding.... rng at its best.

PS other than that, still no really big uniques in 15 months of casual play, best I think was these, so far:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info