[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
zwd wrote:
First, thanks to Sovyn for this superb, detailed guide!

I have found recently that there are definite requirements besides build to make this a viable build for self found folks. Sovyn's guide is great, even so, at the end of cruel and in beginning of merciless I found I was having troubles.

People should be warned if this is your first character (as it is mine) and you do not have a stash of trading orbs then you will be quite a bit underpowered until you find/acquire all of the requisite bits to make this work.

Indeed, any build in Path of Exile won't be very good playing strictly self found unless one is incredibly patient, as the game was designed around trading. PoE is balanced from the ground up for rich traders. I think the build does pretty well considering this. Playing through at all self found is somewhat of a feat, and many people have managed it with this build, or very similar builds.

One challenge for self found during the cruel - merciless transition is gaining enough resists to compensate. Again, the game is balanced with the assumption of 75 resists. Spell block helps to some extent, but there are no miracles.
"
Saviourself wrote:

On to something completely different, I've borrowed a non legacy BoR (thanks Korrupted) and I'm completely stumped as to how to keep my mana up...

My first attempt was Reave + conc effect + added fire + multistrike + slitherpinches for the 2% mana drain. Complete failure, mana was an insurmountable problem.

Rejig the sockets, add a mana leech gem and remove slitherpinches, again, completely incapable (even though there is less mana being taken and more being leeched...)

The variation that finally worked? Reave + MS + IR + leech gem + slitherpinches + BoR...

Even tried respec'ing points in to mana reduction for auras to free up an extra 60 odd mana just in case it was using enough to almost drain the pool, didn't help.

The way I've heard people talk about the bringer makes it sound like the second coming (and to be fair, once you can support it with enough mana, it destroys things in short order. But I think I might need to respec points in to cost reduction nodes which should allow the leeches to keep up the output... =\

1) Quality mana leech support gem to raise your mana leech cap (must do quite a bit of damage per hit as well with a good weapon), or

2) Blood Magic support gem with optional life leech or life gain on hit to negate cost
"
xenochaos1 wrote:
hey i was wondering with a 270 pDPS 1H at around level 75 could you told me how much tooltips DPS i would have? average? (with out OP rare normal 3-5 chaos per other piece)?

I get a bit over 5k AoE damage with Hatred and a 245 pDPS Sword at level 73, so I guess 6.5 - 7k with your weapon would be quite doable. I use Reave, so non-Sword weapons would likely have lower AoE damage due to having to use Cleave, Melee Splash etc. instead.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Last edited by scrooge999 on Mar 28, 2014, 4:49:19 AM
"
Sovyn wrote:
1) Quality mana leech support gem to raise your mana leech cap (must do quite a bit of damage per hit as well with a good weapon), or

2) Blood Magic support gem with optional life leech or life gain on hit to negate cost

Yeah, it's driving me nuts because qual leech + slitherpinches aren't doing it... =\

Think I might go back to cleave in the meantime as that seems sustainable.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Joo wrote:
put it all into effective % regen nodes and %life nodes.

That's all I needed to read in your post. Everything into life nodes is NOT a build. I'm providing an alternative. Max Block + evasion + double evasion vs projectiles + armour + spell block is quite effective. Have you tried it?

Additionally, you should provide a link to a passive tree you feel is superior, and I'll be happy to compare the total stats with mine and explain what the pros and cons are.

Well first off I'm sorry for shitting up your thread. I was merely focusing on your 60 point build which is only part of the puzzle I'm sure. The double route to the right I still don't understand but I'll look through the final build when I get home.

I still stand by that the 60 point tree is very weak and I'm not surprised someone following it feels "stuck" at that point. Build said 1.1.0 and if I missed any fine print that it wasn't a good invasion build well my bad.

I'm guessing most people looking through these forums and see "hey, this guy has a build that is so tanky he can be lazy and progress through invasion, that's amazing let's do that!" and then at lvl 40 they have 110% life and rip.
Thank you Sovyn for this excellent guide, i just started playing after briefly trying the game last year and it has helped me quite a lot

I would like to play a similar build in the invasion league so i've been pondering how to customize this one more to my liking, i just got to be a duelist you see :)

I hope you dont mind me asking in your thread but id appreciate if anyone willing to help me would critique what i came up with so far

I doubt ill ever reach such a high level but its fun trying to get there

Thank you for any input
"
scrooge999 wrote:
"
xenochaos1 wrote:
hey i was wondering with a 270 pDPS 1H at around level 75 could you told me how much tooltips DPS i would have? average? (with out OP rare normal 3-5 chaos per other piece)?

I get a bit over 5k AoE damage with Hatred and a 245 pDPS Sword at level 73, so I guess 6.5 - 7k with your weapon would be quite doable. I use Reave, so non-Sword weapons would likely have lower AoE damage due to having to use Cleave, Melee Splash etc. instead.
SHOP : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/682434
Hey Sovyn, I'm back for another run at face tanking with your build.

To everyone playing a Lazy Pally, your playing a great build designed by a player with character.

My first encounter with Sovyn was in Domination league and it was an excellent experience.

I made a few posts during that time (Page 215 and many others) praising his build as well as his consistent attention to this post. My gear was provided in those posts.

I took the build to level 82, with 9,600 dps and 3,200 life.

Well I'm back at it again, currently level 49 and just plodding along solo until I reach level 66 when I can put this on ----> 313.5 DPS

Please note, this build is well thought out and if you follow it you will easily reach level 80, with a little luck on the dps end of things, you will go well past that level. A couple days ago, I got very lucky with my Flame Totem build and found the weapon above. With this weapon in hand I believe getting past level 82 and into maps higher than level 75 is very doable.

If you go back to page 215 you will see the pretty weak gear I was using.

5 link chest: 12 c
Belt: found - very lucky drop
Helm: found - also very lucky
Sword: 9c
Lapis Amy: found
Shield: 1c
Balance of items: found

I had max resists, very high spell block.

Yes, I did feel kinda stuck at level 82, only due to my dps not being high enough for level 75 maps and higher. I could live for a very long time, but it got a bit frustrating when the npc's giggled when hit, the net result is that they just outlasted me.

In my last go around with the Lazy Pally, my pdps was 274 on the weapon I had and I also had Merginords Girdle belt, which imo is a must. (cost 1 ex). My brother and I both had a Lazy Pally, but I had the belt and he did not, my overall dps was 750 more than his due to the belt at level 82. When he put mine on, his dps exceeded mine by almost exactly the same. The Abyssus helmet (cost: 1 ex) boosted my dps from 9.6 to 11.8 but the 45% phys dam reflect was a bit harsh.

I have two suggestions:

1. Listen to Sovyn -- He not only has his stuff together, he can lift it as well.

2. Try to get your IR as close to 100 as you can, obviously higher is better. It really adds a nice bonus. On my level 77 flame totem build I have 127 IR and in maps, I average 1 Unique each run. If I add the IR Gem, currently 53 IR = 180 IR but I take a damage hit, even though my Unique finds move up to 1.5 per run, 96% of which are "Garbage" Uniques, selling for 1c or less. RNG at its best.

My current gear with max resists and 97% IR, I'm in Cruel Act 3 at 49 and running against level 51-53 npc's with zero issues:

From the very start with this build, everything has been cake, just like last time. I do not expect to have any issues with real risks of dying until I get to very late game maps of level 72 and above.

I hear a number of players mentioning mana difficulties mid game, one solution I use on a regular basis is leap slam - faster attack on center mouse. I have 3% mana leach and a couple of quick jumps I'm full again. End game 2% mana/life leach worked just fine in Domination and I expect it will work here in Ambush as well.

Because I have a mace for late game, I cannot use Reave or Cleave but I am leveling one of each in my switch weapon slots as well as sweep, searing bond and other gems. Frost wall is another gem that saved my bacon a ton with my Flame Totum build, so I might give that a try late game also. This build offers a number of options, it just takes a bit of thinking outside the box, but the skill tree is very solid if you follow it.

One last comment: I read a post from "Joo" earlier regarding the 60 point build at level 49. Well I happen to be exactly at that point in my build and I am not able to agree with his comments at all. My gear shown above is nothing to rave about, my weapon is 16 levels below me and I am ripping through Cruel against level 51-53 npc's.

Current Build - Lvl 49:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAdwB5wSzFE0UcRUgGjgb-h0UI00l3yjFKk0s6TboOtg_J0A2RHJKyEw1TdhPfVFgWK9Z82aebqpwfXKpeA182YBWgW-ExITZjHaQVZ48ogCkGacwp4SpbqyqtPm18r6KwBrdDeoY7DjwH_O-9zL46_rS_MU=

Have fun and good hunting to all.

Sovyn - well done!

ign: LiverLip_Louie

Ishkabibble
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

USMC - Vietnam 1967 - 1968 - 1969
Last edited by Ishkabibble on Mar 28, 2014, 5:02:18 PM
"
scrooge999 wrote:
I use Reave, so non-Sword weapons would likely have lower AoE damage due to having to use Cleave, Melee Splash etc. instead.

Don't forget claws and daggers. :)
Tbh, I think you should only use swords if you plan to spec into the sword nodes, which are more powerful than the nodes of any other weapon type. Or if you're interested in PvP for some reason and want to grab the "Reduce Enemy Block" nodes. But the Accuracy and Crit from Swords/Rapiers/Daggers are wasted in Resolute Technique builds, when you could be using a Claw imo.

I'm still figuring out what skills I'm going to use for an Axe build: Cleave and Heavy Strike, just Heavy Strike with a Melee Splash, or just Cleave?

Also I was trying to figure out how this build could work for a Marauder and a Scion, but I think Templar and Duelist are our only options.
Last edited by K0rrupted on Mar 29, 2014, 5:41:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info