[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Radagastt wrote:
Meginord's dropped for me today, so I have a new belt for Merciless:

Congratulations! That's a nice damage increase for you. :)
Yeah, I was really happy to find it.

Apparently I need a flask with removes curse on it. I just ran into an exile with viper strike that killed me before I could even get a teleport up. The XP loss in Merciless is brutal, so I don't want that happening again.
"
Radagastt wrote:

Apparently I need a flask with removes curse on it. I just ran into an exile with viper strike that killed me before I could even get a teleport up.

Lots of threads complaining about Thena Moga being overpowered. Here and Here for example.

One of the hardest rogue exiles now, especially after the dot patch, but quite rare fortunately. Counter by equipping chaos resist gear, but I would not even bother with her, not worth it. Definitely a gear check monster.

Don't worry, odds are you won't see her again anytime soon. :)
"
Pontian wrote:
Hello all. Just wanted to ask your opinion about about a gem combo that i tried recently and found really helpfull. Cyclone - Faster attack - Multistrike - Plus physical damage (+ fire damage etc if you have spare gem slots).

Hello Pontian. :) A few pages back (page 256, toward the bottom) I updated my research project, which details clearing efficiency with various attack skill combos. Go take a look. Cyclone is up toward the top, but much riskier than the highest ranked clear speed combo with Reave. Riskier, why, you ask? Because of the mana cost, which is like 5 times higher than Reave. That has to come from somewhere, so you are either not able to run auras, which reduces your survivability, or you are using blood magic, which greatly reduces your survivability as cyclone desyncs a lot as you get caught on obstacles server-side, so leech cannot be relied upon. You will be going along, then all of a sudden, a large chunk of your life will be missing, and not from monsters either -- you did it to yourself! This makes you a much easier kill.

Thank you very much for your quick responce Sovyn. Indeed i have some desynch problems with cyclone as you just said, and i cant run both my auras, but mana isnt an issue cause of some "mana leecha and health leech on hit" items ive got, i found out that the map clearing - leveling seems much faster. But i certenly agree with you that you sacrifice some big chunk of defence for not using one of your Auras. Anyway thanks again, and hail to all Lazy Pallies out there!
"
Pontian wrote:

Thank you very much for your quick responce Sovyn. Indeed i have some desynch problems with cyclone as you just said, and i cant run both my auras, but mana isnt an issue cause of some "mana leecha and health leech on hit" items ive got, i found out that the map clearing - leveling seems much faster. But i certenly agree with you that you sacrifice some big chunk of defence for not using one of your Auras. Anyway thanks again, and hail to all Lazy Pallies out there!

No problem. :) I would not pair multistrike with cyclone though. You could use concentrated effect instead. The problem with multistrike is that you lose control of your character as it whirls in between three random targets on screen. That's too dangerous.

Also, I did find reave to be faster clearing so you may want to try that - its mana cost is very, very low as well, so there is no downside, all upside. Don't forget to level reave up before comparing.
Hi Sovyn, thanks again for this build: I'm lvl 90 now, and use a AR/ES modified version of the original build, due to Aegis.
My gear

This is my passive skill tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtErwUIBRxFy8Y2xoyGjgaVRrbG60dFCFgI00l3yftKMUppTIJNug26TrYPeJANkCgQapDY0RyRmlI7kp9SshMNU3YTipPfVFgU99VxlXWVvpYr1jbWPVZ81uvYEthIWSjZOdlL2aeZ6BsRm5pbqpwfXFNcmxyqXTtdPF4DXrvfNmAVoCkgW-ExITZhO-Hdox2j0aQVZrPm4OdxJ48nrmiAKcwp4SpbqyqrK-0-bXytzG3076nwA_AGs9l0NDSTdfL3Q3jauw47g7wH_Pd9zL3vvjr-tL8xQ==

Have 4000 hp and 1600 es with discipline, about 10k armor, I use Reave+multi+add fire+conc effect 16k dps without hatred, 22k with hatred. I usually play with discipline+hatred, on very hard maps switch hatred with grace.
Next steps to improve my gear are 1)better ar/es gloves and 2) 300++dps sword.
"
tasll wrote:
Hi Sovyn, thanks again for this build: I'm lvl 90 now, and use a AR/ES modified version of the original build, due to Aegis.
My gear

Have 4000 hp and 1600 es with discipline, about 10k armor, I use Reave+multi+add fire+conc effect 16k dps without hatred, 22k with hatred. I usually play with discipline+hatred, on very hard maps switch hatred with grace.
Next steps to improve my gear are 1)better ar/es gloves and 2) 300++dps sword.

Looking great, tasll! Congratulations on level 90!! I see your sword is already 320 DPS, pretty nice. There are better out there, but expensive. Maybe you can afford something better, I don't know what your finances look like. :) Gloves should be easier as your Dusk Turn ring is probably capping out your mana leech queue already.
Here is some research I've been working on.

Update 02.01.2014 added ground slam and reave with increased area

Update 01.22.2014 added heavy strike with splash, cyclone with concentrated
Update 01.18.2014 added cleave, cyclone, spectral throw.

I've been full clearing the Merciless Archives (over and over and over) with no movement speed items or skills (which obviously would speed things up, but to make the results more consistent, I did not use them). The Archives is a fairly good and somewhat consistent testing area.

This is all to show (approximately) which skill combos are most efficient with this build. The DPS tooltip number actually has little to do with it, thus this research.

Of course, I am limited as I don't have many linked items to choose from. But it is still interesting.

Each skill has been run several times with a stopwatch until the area is fully clear and the run times averaged for greater accuracy.

Here are the average clear times for various skill and support gem configurations, ranked from good to terrible:

reave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - concentrated effect
456 seconds

cyclone - concentrated effect - faster attacks - blood magic - life leech (note: risky)
518 seconds

cyclone - melee physical damage - faster attacks - blood magic (note: risky)
583 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks
594 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
607 seconds

ground slam - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks - mana leech
613 seconds

infernal blow - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
625 seconds

reave - multistrike - increased area of effect - faster attacks - concentrated effect
627 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - faster attacks - concentrated effect
656 seconds

double strike - multistrike - melee splash - melee physical damage
657 seconds

heavy strike - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
776 seconds

double strike - melee splash - blood magic - faster attacks - increased area of effect
817 seconds

cleave - multistrike - melee physical damage - faster attacks
858 seconds

spectral throw - lesser multiple projectiles - faster attacks - added fire damage - blood magic
958 seconds

infernal blow - faster attacks - mana leech - melee splash - concentrated effect
1031 seconds

infernal blow - mana leech - melee splash - melee physical damage
1223 seconds
Hey guys, Im planning to run similar max block build, exept with duellist (I like him better than Mister No Pants) but since I mostly run HC, one thing worries me - at lvl 60, where player usually hits A3 merc, we only have about 142% inc. life (thats 1750 HP naked and another 784 HP from gear [assuming we get 70 HP on every piece of gear excl. amu]) - thats pretty low for merciless, 2.5k HP. I mean sure, we got ~70% block and spellblock and evasion, but Im afraid that when Kole already hits us, he could 1-shot us.
And then, level 70, when we would probably want to start mapping - still only 150% inc life and 2k HP naked. Thats only ~2.8k HP... Imagine getting unlucky smashed by map Brutus twice in a row...
And then there's chaos damage... You only took one 1.5% regen node from the duellist area.

Conclusion and question - wouldnt it be better to stack HP early on (by 'early' I mean pre-60) by grabbing most or even all HP nodes and THEN try and max shield block?
"
benjiwoosh wrote:
Hey guys, Im planning to run similar max block build, exept with duellist (I like him better than Mister No Pants) but since I mostly run HC, one thing worries me - at lvl 60, where player usually hits A3 merc, we only have about 142% inc. life (thats 1750 HP naked and another 784 HP from gear [assuming we get 70 HP on every piece of gear excl. amu]) - thats pretty low for merciless, 2.5k HP. I mean sure, we got ~70% block and spellblock and evasion, but Im afraid that when Kole already hits us, he could 1-shot us.
And then, level 70, when we would probably want to start mapping - still only 150% inc life and 2k HP naked. Thats only ~2.8k HP... Imagine getting unlucky smashed by map Brutus twice in a row...
And then there's chaos damage... You only took one 1.5% regen node from the duellist area.

Conclusion and question - wouldnt it be better to stack HP early on (by 'early' I mean pre-60) by grabbing most or even all HP nodes and THEN try and max shield block?
I leveled up my char following Sovyn's guide and from my personal experience you need to distinguish between two cases:
1) high evasion/block help you to survive many white/blue/yellow enemies
2) high amout of hp help you only vs 1-shots (like crits)

but... I noticed that is better to have max block/evasion, the time that passes between two hits is enough to regen full life. When I was lvl 50-60, had like 2.3k hp and die very few times. With this build, high HP pool isn't a priority.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info