[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
nbriles2000 wrote:
I know it isn't beneficial for heavy strike or any other purely physical builds but I'm using glacial hammer. So physical is better for passing resists on maps, but will the extra elemental damage boost molten shell enough to make up for it?

I would not count on molten shell for damage. It's really just an armour boost on the trigger gem. You won't even be getting the trigger gem until late merciless unless you trade for it.

You would be getting catalyse for your glacial hammer.
"
Alright so I've been using this build for a week now and it's been going good, but some questions and thoughts:

1. Why do you level up the immortal call cast on damage taken gem? You can ensure it's cast before enduring cry simply by adjusting the gem positioning.

2. I've been using Warlord's Mark instead of enfeeble for a while now for two reasons. Firstly the extra endurance charges can help add to immortal call which is always good. Secondly I find I run into mana supply problems when I am dealing with only 1 target at a time such as the piety fight. Perhaps I just need to work on building up my DPS though so I can keep up mana on single target with 2% mana leech?

3. I am having success with devouring totem added to cast on damage taken. Adds extra life and mana, plus it cleans up corpses which is useful to deny other devour mobs or summoners. If you have summoners in your party though it could annoy them if you're taking all the corpses. It's sorta like having Vaal Pact, but without the downsides.

I might post my gear and stats later, but so far I'm having fun with the Lazy Pally.

Glad you are having fun.

1) You want enduring cry to cast before immortal call so that immortal call has endurance charges to use. By using two trigger gems, you can ensure immortal call is cast later, and pack more on your first trigger gem. I'm enjoying having cry + enfeeble + molten on mine, don't know that I'd want to give any of those up.

2) Use what you like, but enfeeble is the best curse vs. end game bosses, by far. If you are using the right low-mana-cost skill and have enough physical damage, and around 60 mana left after the two auras, you will leech enough to chain the skill. If you are having trouble with melee splash, you may need a single target skill without the splash as it uses a lot of mana if you are only hitting one mob.

3) Neat idea. I knew there would be a lot of variations possible with the new trigger gems. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Nov 6, 2013, 1:32:17 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:

Glad you are having fun.

1) You want enduring cry to cast before immortal call so that immortal call has endurance charges to use. By using two trigger gems, you can ensure immortal call is cast later, and pack more on your first trigger gem. I'm enjoying having cry + enfeeble + molten on mine, don't know that I'd want to give any of those up.

2) Use what you like, but enfeeble is the best curse vs. end game bosses, by far. If you are using the right low-mana-cost skill and have enough physical damage, and around 60 mana left after the two auras, you will leech enough to chain the skill. If you are having trouble with melee splash, you may need a single target skill without the splash as it uses a lot of mana if you are only hitting one mob.

3) Neat idea. I knew there would be a lot of variations possible with the new trigger gems. :)

Use more than one skill on the Lazy Pally!?

I was under the impression that cast on damage taken skills cast in the order they are socketed. Left to right; top to bottom. So for immortal call to cast after endurance charge you just need it socketed in a later socket.

Also another reason why I'm finding Warlord's Mark useful at the moment is the highest Phys Dps weapon I've found so far is a dagger (playing mostly self-found at the moment - purchased some of the gems I needed though). Since Leap Slam requires an axe, mace, or sword that means I can't use it for mobility so I have to rely on flasks and Warlord's Mark fills them up faster.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
siontheman wrote:
Yes but with IR how am I supposed to get 40% chance to avoid? im guessing avoid is the same as avade? if so its not really possible, But I went IR obviously because of the Aplha howl having the avasion but I will come out with 15k armour and I am pretty good at dodging the poison bolts and the ice bolts from the skelebob mages. So I guess I could just be tanky to melee and then dodge mages but even when they have powerful crits... atleast in 72 maps they have nothing on me.. and MOST bosses I find are melee anyway.

You can stick with your build if you want, whatever works for you. However, the guide does not take IR for good reasons. We get 40%+ of mitigation AND avoid by using a high evasion shield (that should be clear in the guide, maybe I need to make it more so). The rest of the gear can be straight armour. That's a good balance. Usually the best shield for the build is a 600+ evasion Vaal Buckler. Again, hope that's clear in the guide. The uniques are just either if you can't find a good rare shield, or if you are using Bringer of Rain, then perhaps you can get away with something else in the shield slot as Bringer has quite a bit of evasion, particularly with a high roll.

Aha! I understand Sovyn wel but I like my armour build But I use my 5l and gain 9.4k DPS with heavystrike in town and 12k single target and 8.8k splash which for me isnt efficient anymore as I use a howl and as it costs 46 mana, because I run determination and hatred I dont get enough regen to use splash but single target still works and is probably how some Lazy Pallys play? Anyway here is a imgur link to 4 picks I have shown about my build just while standing in town. I reach 16k Armour with auras up aswell. And obviously the 4% All resist and Dmg reduction from the charges ( I know it wont go more then 75% resist but im just saying :D

LINK : http://imgur.com/NVBeXrj&ny1DOm9&AlP22VC&UTB1r9h#0

Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to slide through the 4 images (To anyone who want to see the stats and never used Imgur before! Also there are buttons at the top left ;) )
Last edited by siontheman on Nov 6, 2013, 4:28:38 PM
"
Paperwork wrote:

What I did:

Dropped nodes leading to Purity of Flesh
Dropped two shield block nodes (one near beserking, one near testudo)

Added two shield block nodes (Aegis and the one leading before it), resulting in overall more shield block %?
Added Diamond Skin
Added Heart of Gladiator

So I gave a bit thought about it, I have decided that Troll's Blood is not worth it because the two reduced crit chance nodes is a waste of points.

Here is yours:

Spoiler
+373 to Strength
+204 to Dexterity
+63 to Intelligence
+71.5 to maximum Mana
+330.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
77% increased Melee Physical Damage
76% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
238% increased maximum Life
96% increased Armour
34% increased maximum Energy Shield
3.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
+42% to all Elemental Resistances
36% additional Chance to Block with Shields
135% increased Defences from equipped Shield
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
33% increased Attack Speed
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
8% increased maximum Mana
12% increased Physical Damage
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
+12.6% Energy Shield
+74.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+408 Accuracy Rating
40.8% increased Evasion Rating

Here is the build from the guide:

Spoiler
+323 to Strength
+204 to Dexterity
+83 to Intelligence
+81.5 to maximum Mana
+275.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 53
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
77% increased Melee Physical Damage
76% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
284% increased maximum Life
96% increased Armour
34% increased maximum Energy Shield
3.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
+30% to all Elemental Resistances
34% additional Chance to Block with Shields
115% increased Defences from equipped Shield
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+20% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
+8% to Chaos Resistance
2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Life
33% increased Attack Speed
56% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
8% increased maximum Mana
12% increased Physical Damage
3% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
Doubles chance to Evade Projectile Attacks
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
+16.6% Energy Shield
+64.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+408 Accuracy Rating
40.8% increased Evasion Rating

Comments:

They are somewhat close, but the build from the guide has more intelligence which is required for high level enfeeble (this is important).

The guide build has a little more max mana as well, which is helpful.

Yours has a little more flat life bonus but only 238% life, whereas the guide build has far superior 284%. No comparison there.

Yours has 12% more resists, but that is easily made up on gear.

Yours has 20% more increased Defences from equipped Shield, which is never a bad thing.

The guide build also has +8% to Chaos Resistance, not that it matters.

Overall, the guide build is superior as stated previously.
"
Gabba wrote:
Hello, and thx for the Guide!

My stats are as follow
lvl 58
HP 1900
dps 920
armor 3000
evasion 2800.

Anything that looks bad?

i did just change to dubble attacks from infernal blow. and not sure what is best yet, what do u think?

// Gaabba

Hi Gabba. :)

Looks good for your level. I'd try to get block to 75% soon, and max out your elemental resists.

Double strike is nice if you don't like the knockback on heavy strike. Infernal Blow can have a better AOE but harder to manage the mana draw.
"
Gabba wrote:
another thing, should i keep Cast on dmg taken on lvl 1? or lvl it?

For your first cast on damage taken, you want to leave it at level 1 so it will go off a lot. Don't put Immortal Call on it, although you can level that up separately. Enduring cry and molten shell and perhaps enfeeble are my choices for the level 1 cast on damage taken.
"
Dangran wrote:
Maybe it is a good idea to create a trade-thread for cheap or free lazy-pally stuff and link it in the first post?

Edit: I got my hands on a Bringer of Rain and can switch my shield (Padernus) - i need 28% on my shield to get to 75% - to something with more armor/evade and less block chance. I have absolutely no idea if it would be better to take something like the lionseye with 1400+ Armor, or a 28% Buckler with 1400 evasion. Which way shall i go?

A trade thread would be taken advantage of. It might be better for now to just periodically offer items (if so inclined) to regulars in this thread if they are clearly not scamming.

Grats on the BoR! That's a good question as both of those shields would work well with BoR. I'd say it would depend if you are over, say, 40% physical mitigation or chance to avoid (with auras), or not. Go with whatever is lower -- also, don't forget that molten shell on your trigger gem will buff you to 65% physical mitigation quite often, even with only 40%.
"

I was under the impression that cast on damage taken skills cast in the order they are socketed. Left to right; top to bottom. So for immortal call to cast after endurance charge you just need it socketed in a later socket.

Also another reason why I'm finding Warlord's Mark useful at the moment is the highest Phys Dps weapon I've found so far is a dagger (playing mostly self-found at the moment - purchased some of the gems I needed though). Since Leap Slam requires an axe, mace, or sword that means I can't use it for mobility so I have to rely on flasks and Warlord's Mark fills them up faster.

Use shield charge! :)

It seems to be true that cast on damage taken will activate skills in order. However, I view Immortal Call is a safety net, in the rare case where I would take enough damage to trigger the higher level cast on damage taken. And, by then, the first cast on damage taken may have gone off a couple of times, ensuring there is more than one endurance charge for Immortal Call to use. Just a thought.

Also, I would not want to remove any of the three things I have on my level 1 cast on damage taken to replace it with Immortal Call anyway.

For those reasons, I think a second cast on damage taken, at a higher level (to be determined by the individual player) is the ideal choice. What are we going to use our 4-link items for anyway, now that auras are so limited. :)
"
siontheman wrote:

Aha! I understand Sovyn wel but I like my armour build .......
LINK : http://imgur.com/NVBeXrj&ny1DOm9&AlP22VC&UTB1r9h#0

Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to slide through the 4 images (To anyone who want to see the stats and never used Imgur before! Also there are buttons at the top left ;) )

OK my friend, but there is no way I would trade my 42% physical damage reduction and 40% chance to evade and 80% chance to evade projectiles for a bit more armour. I know a lot of users of the build have a lot more armour than I do and still maintain their evade too. Besides, even I reach 65%+ damage reduction a lot of the time in areas where there is any risk (molten shell on level one trigger gem).

Also, 59% block and 7% spell block at level 81? I'm sorry to say it, but you are gimping yourself there. :) Even if you disregard the armour vs. evade argument, you need to fix the blocking IMHO.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info