[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:

Hi! Thanks for posting!

I think weapon choice is mostly personal preference. You will notice I did not choose any weapon-specific nodes. That's intentional. With maces, we won't be considering the life gain on hit support gem though because they are slower. I also suspect that hitting a monster more frequently can keep them at bay better because there are more chances to stun them. Of course, while maces are slower, they do have a built-in chance to stun. Find a hard-hitting mace with an attack speed bonus and you will probably be all set.

Just to note, I think around act 2 Cruel, had trouble finding a mace that did over 300 DPS on the character offense tab -- I found an axe that made that jump to 500 and never looked back. I probably just never found a good mace..... you might. That's why I'm hesitant to say "you must use X weapon type" because it's really all about what you have access to or find.

Yes, I'm self drop too, so I hope to find a weapon as good as I had before :D and before getting cruel, I'll have to finish normal ;)

Also I found that some quests have been modified since last few months, right ?
Ok thanks for the tip for weapons) Agree, maces are very hard to find and most of times, they don't have those great suffixes :/ Will post some gear and progression at lvl 20, with your 20 points build) it could be nice.

EDIT: actually lvl 22, had a very hard time act 2 against magic skeletons.. they hit hard and I almost died like 4 or 5 times. I need resistances I think :p

Gear :

Spoiler

Not very good, but my weapon is really nice atm :D I still need some resistances and more tanky stuff.
Last edited by Ekyla on May 28, 2013, 12:17:55 PM
"
Ekyla wrote:
I still need some resistances

Yes, resists are a cornerstone of this build. I would suggest getting the two +15 resist while equipping a shield nodes to the left of our starting area on the passive skill tree as soon as possible. That 30 points makes a big difference.
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what they would recommend to be the best melee AOE skill gem to use with this build. I am currently using Cleave but it seem's rather weak, and a tad boring too I suppose. I am just looking for suggestions, thanks.
"
MakotoKin wrote:
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me what they would recommend to be the best melee AOE skill gem to use with this build. I am currently using Cleave but it seem's rather weak, and a tad boring too I suppose. I am just looking for suggestions, thanks.

I used a lot Ground slam, but only if you use a mace. Except that, I tried leap slam, but it's not that good, and the aoe size is kinda weird. I think that Cleave isn't a bad choice at all, but it depends a lot of your weapon.

@Sovyn : Yes I think I'll get those 2 nodes asap, and it should be better)
Also I was wondering, what do you choose for the bandits quest ? Did you explained that point in your global post ?
Last edited by Ekyla on May 28, 2013, 5:32:57 PM
"
MakotoKin wrote:

Cyclone, Ground Slam, Lightning Strike, or even Infernal Blow with Melee Splash support, if you don't like Cleave.

I'm doing fine without a specific AOE skill.
"
Ekyla wrote:
Also I was wondering, what do you choose for the bandits quest ? Did you explained that point in your global post ?

There was some discussion a few pages back. I chose the skill point in all three difficulties. You can choose the 40 base life in normal (Oak) if you like.

The math comparing 8% maximum life node vs. 40 base life is complex and would be different for every character but I think the 8% might come out ahead.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 28, 2013, 10:00:02 PM
I gave this build a shot - converted from a more elemental heavy build so I still have some weird leftovers. I'm getting fucked at anything beyond Ledge in Merc, and I feel like I've spent a pretty decent amount on my gear.

Right now my only real chance of survival is to repeatedly pop Molten Shell as they hit me.. I don't do enough melee damage to kill them fast, and I can't afford the 3gcp+ it would cost to upgrade my weapon. Help?

Gear
Spoiler

Passive
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbDPcUTRhdGS4aMho4HRQn7SjFMok8BURyRtdMNU3YT31RYFcNV-JZ813GYG1mnnKpd-V8u3zZfVOAVoFvgziExIrki4yMdpBVm-ydgJ48ns2f36C0ogCnMKeEqZWsqq9stPm2hsAaxYrSIdlh3QXd8-Fz6dXsOO988B_zvvPd-tL7qg==

In Merc, my stats show as:

DPS 278.2
3% Mainhand Life Leech
With Determination and Tempest Running:
2940 Armour - 44% Estimated Reduction
61/59/69/-38 Res
69% Block Chance / 43% Spell Block Chance
Life/sec 31
~1500 HP

Infernal tooltip dps 776.5, heavy strike 963.6, molten shell 2159.1

I'mm essentially stuck at 55, since I can't really advance without occasionally dying, which loses the 12% I might've gained in the time..
Last edited by Compound on May 29, 2013, 1:34:55 PM
^. Your weapon sucks mate, you need something with IAS, IPD and elemental dmg mods on it.
"
Compound wrote:
I gave this build a shot - converted from a more elemental heavy build so I still have some weird leftovers. I'm getting fucked at anything beyond Ledge in Merc, and I feel like I've spent a pretty decent amount on my gear.

Right now my only real chance of survival is to repeatedly pop Molten Shell as they hit me.. I don't do enough melee damage to kill them fast, and I can't afford the 3gcp+ it would cost to upgrade my weapon. Help?

I'mm essentially stuck at 55, since I can't really advance without occasionally dying, which loses the 12% I might've gained in the time..

Thanks for your post. I'd be happy to attempt to help.

First, I should mention that all of act 1 Merciless was pretty trivial with my build so there is hope.

The first thing that pops out at me is that your life is too low.

Your blocking could be higher as well.

As far as a weapon, a decent Siege Axe would literally double your DPS. Just farm the flooded depths or tidal island until one drops and then alchemy and chaos it until you have a good attack speed affix and one or more decent damage affixes. I made mine with minimal currency.

I suggest trying your multistrike gem with the Heavy Strike.

And, here's what you need on the skill tree: link

You can use the respec points from quests and maybe a few regrets to get there.

I'd dump the clarity gem and replace that gold ring with any ring with mana leech on it instead.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 29, 2013, 7:29:58 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:

Thanks for your post. I'd be happy to attempt to help.

First, I should mention that all of act 1 Merciless was pretty trivial with my build so there is hope.

I was able to clear through the middle of Act 2, but I definitely died a few times. I really want to be in a place where I don't have to panic and smash all my instant health pots to survive.

I'm working on getting more points (no Regrets, leftover quest regrets) for health - but tough at 55 ;)

I started farming Tidal Island just now.. three clears and nothing - a few Ceremonial Axes, which are one or two tiers down, I think.

"
sintflut2012 wrote:
^. Your weapon sucks mate, you need something with IAS, IPD and elemental dmg mods on it.

Not sure I understand. AFAIK, my weapon has 90% IPD, 20% IAS, and "20% Increased Elemental Damage."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info