[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

i replaced cleave with whirlwind, the tooltip shows 2-3x less damage but the kill speed increased expotentially, the only issues i run into the the uncontrollability(is that even a word?) of whirlwind, as it tends to spin you away from the target thus almost killing you, its MASSIVE health cost which is btw countered efficiently with LGOH gem and our worst enemy, the desync, also puncture can make you spin into death very very fast too.

tl;dr ww is a type of skill where you trade survivability for massive ''real'' dps

Will keep trying the combinations of skills and supports til i find something that pleases me.
"
Sebulous wrote:

My build is a little different, based off of a lot of this thread but started as a marauder instead. Since I have tempest shield and static blows, I figure why not lightning strike as well. defensive and offensive chances to shock.

Thanks for sharing your variation! It looks great! Very specialized though.

Do you struggle with maxing out your resistances considering your don't have the two +15 nodes yet? Perhaps if you are a trader, it would be easier to do so.

One other comment, just personal preference really, I do like to have a 30% chance to evade, I mean, why not? So I don't care for Iron Reflexes.
Last edited by Sovyn on May 23, 2013, 3:30:14 PM
"
Ohjeah wrote:
Why wont you take all the easy Endurance Charges along your way? :o

Thanks for your question!

It's way too much work to keep up endurance charges and this is basically the ONLY melee build where they are really not necessary. Being forced to spam endurance charges is one of the reasons melee are considered broken. You can't really stop and look at the loot or open chests or jars if you are worrying about the charges. At least, I couldn't.
"
azuazu wrote:
i replaced cleave with whirlwind, the tooltip shows 2-3x less damage but the kill speed increased expotentially, the only issues i run into the the uncontrollability(is that even a word?) of whirlwind, as it tends to spin you away from the target thus almost killing you, its MASSIVE health cost which is btw countered efficiently with LGOH gem and our worst enemy, the desync, also puncture can make you spin into death very very fast too.

tl;dr ww is a type of skill where you trade survivability for massive ''real'' dps

Will keep trying the combinations of skills and supports til i find something that pleases me.

Absolutely - find what you love best.

I did test Cyclone and found it to be OK, but you can't use it with Multistrike as it becomes very uncontrollable. I'd put Faster Attacks support on it instead.

I think it would take some practice to not get killed more when using Cyclone, but it sure is cool.

About desync, at least with a non-targeted skill like Cyclone you won't end up in the middle of a pack in the next room because the server notices you are targeting something that has since moved. That does happen sometimes with heavy strike, et al.
Has anyone experimented with other weapons than axes? Just curious.
"
Route1 wrote:

I used maces early on, but was not finding any with remotely close to the DPS of a good axe. Probably just bad luck. A godly mace with high attack speed mod would work I'm sure. I do like the attack speed of the tomahawk / siege axe. I think with the right mods that the faster swords would be good too. Really just depends what you find. The key is hard hitting AND fast.
"
Route1 wrote:

a good foil is a viable replacement for axes too, i myself use

Cant complain so far imo
Had a few minutes to do a map today and got another map of the same level plus one at the level higher. I would not mind that luck to continue! *thumbs up*

I do think having 47% spell block helped a bit in that particular map as there were many mage types.

I've also been hitting every glorious plate I find with a chance orb for a small chance to get a Kaom's Heart. Kaom's Heart breastplate has 1000 life on it, but no sockets so my eventual DPS would be nerfed quite a bit so there's that trade off. It would still be nice though (not that I expect to craft one this way but might as well try -- no other use for these). The large life boost would help with the occasional big hit from a map unique boss or if I ever face tank Merciless Vaal again (no thanks!).

Finally found my first Vaal Buckler in a map today. Insanely rare, at least in my experience.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll get around to crafting it.

I'll add quality to 20% and then transmutation, then alterations until I get 5 or 6 % blocking. Maybe I'll get really lucky and it will also have another useful mod. After that I'll probably Jeweler's for three sockets, chromatics for some useful colors (like red - red - green for my Grace setup) and fuse it. Not too hard to get a three link, statistically, so even I should be able to afford it.

Cost 50 alterations, 4 jewelers, 22 chromatics and 2 fusing to craft. I took the first one that rolled Walling. It's not perfect, but it will work. This lets me respec one 2% blocking node.

I only used so many chromatics as I was looking for red - red - green. No such luck. Ironically, I did get three red once.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info