Dyadus rework

Relentlessly bumping for a discussion about this.
IGN: Laubblaeser
Not much discussion from me this morning (sick, tired, trying to stay awake because I have to unload a hay wagon in a little bit... Ugh), but reading through dlrr's thoughts gave me an idea.

(Small base phys value)
(Local crit chance mod)
"Adds [local flat range value] cold damage while in main hand," and "Adds [local flat range value] fire damage while in off hand."
"100% of main hand damage converted to cold," and "100% of off hand damage converted to fire."
(Drawback: ??reserves some% mana?? because auras would be doubly OP here; double drawback when dual wielding)

That's all damage--phys, elemental, and chaos. All local values can be balanced as such; the small base phys should equal ~25 to <50% of the weapons intended base fire/cold damage, to provide a variety of build options. The local crit chance mod can be anywhere from weak to powerful--the higher the crit rate, the more freezes and the fewer proliferating ignites and vice versa. Crit is, in that regard, self balancing to a degree, though higher crit rates by design should probably come with lower base damage. Just depends where exactly you want the weapon to fall.

Note: Cold and Fire damage have been swapped to main and off hand respectively, to avoid competition with Goddess for main hand 100% fire conversion and crits.

All of this leads to.... Dyadus is the easy to build for Elemental Equilibrium unique. Thematically, this seems to do a fairly good job of encompassing the dyadic nature of your original design, and does not require potentially clunky rules. The alternating attacks of dual wield make it an organic choice for EE, except, any global sources of flat elemental damage make EE a difficult build consideration for dual wielding; the design goal of this suggestion is to remove that difficulty, encompass the original theme, and provide deeper build options for dyadic characters.

Seeing all the pieces fit together (which I may or may not have adequately explained) makes me feel that overall this could be a very good design for a unique item, final balance withstanding.

Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Sep 20, 2014, 9:58:10 AM
"
RogueMage wrote:
Problem with Wings of Entropy is its slow attack rate can't be boosted high enough to make dual wielding feel good. Pairing Dyadis with a fast off-hand weapon gives you a decently fast Dual Strike that you can combine with a Dyadis-powered Infernal Blow.

What I think Dyadis needs to be competitive is a boost to its Critical Strike chance. A weapon that's lacking in physical damage needs something more than flat fire or cold damage to fill in the gap.

rofl.

because u dont multistrike any attack anyway. because even with woe u make 3.5+ attacks per second. you have so 0 clue about this game, go away pls.

Level 80 Marauder
Standard League

says it all anyway, just a troll
#31 of Rampage League after 7 days played.
Last edited by Insomniask on Sep 20, 2014, 1:16:30 PM
Canhaspants, I like the idea! :)

Alas, if I recall correctly, conversion in the game can only follow a specific order. Ie: you can't convert from fire to cold, only from cold to fire.
Not as far as m aware, at least not as a rule or anything. Certainly, you cannot currently convert fire to cold, but only because nothing exists to facilitate the conversion. Yet ;)

I wonder how viable it would be for GGG to redesign a unique? As good as (I think) this brainstorming is, it seems unlikely in the end compared to a stat adjustment or base item switch.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Yeah, I once suggested to insert a "fire to cold" gem and was told that it wouldn't be possible, because conversion works in this order (if i recall correctly):
phys -> cold -> fire -> lightning

Sorry to have to ask, but I'm not sure I understand one part of your idea, CanHasPants.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
That's all damage--phys, elemental, and chaos.

Why do you mention chaos damage? Because of it being converted to fire/cold damage completely? If so, then I probably understood you right in the first place and will for now just assume this. If not, please enlighten me. :-)

I do like the idea of converting your damage (all kinds of it) into one element. Wouldn't this idea kind of be like a free Avatar of fire on the off-hand, but without the drawbacks of not being able to chill anymore? (Sure, it doesn't scale as easily as a physical weapon, but still.)

(Although on second thought, this would destroy my Dyadus build, since I need the fire damage on the main hand. But that's not what this thread is about. ;-) It's about one supporter's unique weapons and how it could be changed to make it more worthwhile.)

The base item is so nice, just fits the axe very well as far as I'm concerned. The high level required for it to be used also kind of keeps it something special.
But yeah, a simple adjustment of the stats wouldn't be as awesome as a redesign, but nevertheless much appreciated, since Dyadus was designed and added to the game quite a while ago, when game mechanics worked pretty different.
Huh, I had never heard that before, about damage conversion.

Would that then make it impossible to convert all damage to cold in main hand, and fire in off hand? Or is that sort of the point of uniques, to "break" these rules?

And yes, I meant all forms of damage would be converted to cold/fire completely. If that wouldn't work, then a higher base damage package and "main hand can only deal cold / off hand -> fire" would work too, with only phys conversion.
Devolving Wilds
Land
I think the reason GGG has a specific order in which conversion can appear is due to the possibility of cyclicality.

Imagine using a cold to fire gem support in an item which coverts fire to cold. The client would have a hard time deciding which element to ultimately end up with.
I would guess, that GGG simply wouldn't allow an item to fully convert all kinds of dmg into one (regardless if elemental or physical). It's more likely that they allow e.g. all phys dmg to be converted into one element (which they already accepted on uniques a few times, if i'm not mistaken).

But back to topic, I guess:
Have uniques ever been reworked, because the supporter and/or community members said, that they aren't happy anymore with how it works or how things turned out after patches?
Or is it just GGG who decide when to rethink the values and ideas behind a unique item?
dyadus rework.

nydus network.

think about it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info