1337 Spear [1.2] [Atziri viable] Permafreezer

Hallo,
hope you like my build and give it a try.

UPDATE_5: Added wanted corruptions in gear section.
UPDATE_4: Added lvling tips.
UPDATE_3: Added shrine clear video.
UPDATE_2: Minor changes in guide, added double temple piety fight video.
UPDATE_1: Changed def stats pic, updated tree, added bandits, updated gear alternatives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos:

Apex of sacrifice clear video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R36FvfB-nWg

Temple Double Boss
For test trying to freeze them both at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sWwHDRL_Nk

Shrine clear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsCSlLpg0Tg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction.

I always wanted to make a selfcasting ice spear build, but until 1.2 it wasn't really viable. Imho, now it is in good state, with buff to it's dmg and changes in passive skill tree.

The goal of this build was to be fun. To do so, it needed to do good dmg, freeze as many bosses as possible, while also be able to clear packs relatively fast and don't be a glass cannon.

In my eyes i've reached that goal and decided to share it with you.

From here work in progress, will update, if i change something or get feedback from you.

This is rampage character. This build is also HC viable, if u r very cautious and detect ele reflect mobs, before starting to spam ice spear. For HC i strongly recommend to use totem 4L (see in gems section).

Pros
- relatively cheap (all gear i have is acquired in under 7 ex, huge part of this 7 ex was rathpith + 5L cloak of defiance with good rolls. Low rolls will also do the job and cost you significantly less.)
- can perma freeze almost everything, including shrine piety. Palace dominus demon form is not freezable with this build, human form can be perma frozen.
- tanky enough
- can farm atziri. If i ever get hope dropped, i give uber a try. I'm pretty confident, i be able to kill her.

Cons
- reflect
- hard map mods: ele reflect, blood magic, no regen. All doable, but i would recommend to skip them and don't waste your time.

Stats

Defensive

Offensive
Pack clearing setup.

Single target freeze setup.

Gear
Essential:

Rest of gear i use:

Why this particular gear peaces:
- on helmet, boots and gloves i want life, mana, energy shield, resistances and attributes, to be able to use gems and rings, i want.
- on rings: cold dmg, cast speed, life, some resistances. Optional mana, energy shield, attributes.
- on weapon: high spell dmg, high critical multiplier, cast speed. Optioan cold dmg or spell critical chance, ability to craft 1% cold leech.
- on belt: high life, resistances. Optional energy shield, strength, armour.

Alternatives:
- for chest you can use lightning coil or any other rare/uniq chest of your choice. Than u can drop discipline and use either 1 60% + 40%/tempest shield aura or 2 40% + tempest shield auras of your choice. Good choices are: for 60% haste for offense, grace for defense; for 40% purity of ice to help with reflect, other purities, if u need resistances to cap, vitality.
- for boots you can use rainbowstride (if going cloak of defiance) to cap spell block at 75%, gain ~100 unreserved mana and ~10 mana reg, but loose ~200 life. Or in any case atziri's step to gain up to 16% spell dodge and ~600 evasion, but loose ~40 life, ~100 unreserved mana and ~7 mana reg.
- for gloves it is possible to use maligaro's virtuosity to gain substantial dps boost, but also to loose substantial defenses. Would not recommend this option for hardcore.

Ele reflect map mode swap gear:

Flasks:

Upgrade plans:
6L cloak of defiance. Cold dmg doryani's invitation (would require to craft cold resistance on my boots), than i can swap my helmet with better one, with dexterity and lvl up vaal haste.

Desirable Corruptions:
- chest: +1 to lvl of gems
- helmet: 3-5% extra MoM
- gloves: 4-6% cast speed
- boots: +1 to lvl of gems (for auras and herald)
- amulet: 1% cold leech
- shield: 2-4% spell block or +1 to lvl of gems or -24 phys dmg from attacks

Other slots don't really need a corruption, maybe 1% cold leech on weapon, but not necessary.

Gems

Must:
Chest 3-6L, in priority order for lvling and map clearing:

Gems to swap for boss freezing:

swap lmp for cold penetration and pierce for added cold to freeze bosses. Can also swap echo for faster casting, but not necessary. For 6L swap lmp with added cold and pierce with faster or slower projectiles (or culling strike(only if lvl 18+)).

1st 4L auras:

Curses:

Optional (my personal choice):
2nd 4L:

1st 3L:

2L:

Rest of gems:

Alternative 4L for pack freezing and safer game play:

Or use whatever u want to ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[

Bandits:

Normal(pick one of these):
- help Oak for general survivability (definitely for hardcore).
- kill all.
- help Alira, only if u will use cloak of defiance, still would take life over mana.

Cruel and merciless: kill all.

Lvling Tips

- till lvl 19 (requirement for lmp) use fire trap, ice nova, flame blast
- from lvl 19 u could lvl this ice spear, but it is slower than just to continue with flame blast, still safer. Can use freezing pulse to lvl 40-50, is also faster.
- use 3L life sprig with ur spell in it(for ice spear lmp + echo/crit dmg/faster casting). Very good till merciless. In merciless act 2 you will start to feel a need for 4L and a better weapon. With 4L u can easy do up to 72 maps.

- lvl 20, 1st cruel preparation life node, than eldritch battery
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEAel34oC40myLJwFQkGW0PWus0yzBAeD21XGOlgtH5UgwfOCHtsL

- 42 points: if hardcore, pick up written in blood cluster as soon as u reach it. I softcore can skip untill piercing shots are reached
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEAel34oC40myLJwFQkGW0PWus0yzBAeD21XGOlgtH5UgwfOCHtsLoqN_xhGWBx6VLvDVSVEOSOOENj2dqmyMYqy0xcLsKlt59kM2Uuxd8g==

- 66 points: for hardcore recommended to pick up blood and soul and blood siphon life nodes 1st.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEAel34oC40myLJwFQkGW0PWus0yzBAeD21XGOlgtH5UgwfOCHtsLoqN_xhGWBx6VLvDVSVEOSOOENj2dqmyMYqy0xcLsKlt59kM2Uuxd8kLDbWwPqxa_JpVh4lVLcNWJ03BSaxe86sBUakMI9A_EO3y4yo_66_XDCbmT8h3r5F8q

-82 points:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEAel34oC40myLJwFQkGW0PWus0yzBAeD21XGOlgtH5UgwfOCHtsLoqN_xhGWBx6VLvDVSVEOSOOENj2dqmyMYqy0xcLsKlt59kM2Uuxd8kLDbWwPqxa_JpVh4lVLcNWJ03BSaxe86sBUakMI9A_EO3y4yo_66_XDCbmT8h3r5F8qrJj315uhj0YdFPrSNunjaiSqFm-MNhps5CKOZPemtvo=

- proceed to 102 points base

102 points "base" with out quality pierce gem:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMEBwVCBx4HpQj0DkgPqw_EEZYWbxa_Fy8aOBpsHRQegSSqJpUpTypbKw0snC0fNj026TpYO3xBlkJLQzZJUUmyS41Ms099UWBS7FVLVcZV1l3yXyph4mKsZOdqQ2sXbIxtbHBScNV59n7if8aAVoCkghCCHoPbhcWJ04w2jmSPRo_6kFWVIJUum6GdqqKjp4SplayYrrO0xbb6uMq5k7zqwFTB88LswwnQ9dsL34rfsN--42rjhOQi6-Tr9ew48NXyHfem99f60v8c

Current skill tree:
Now with lvl 91 and 70% pierce gem i took soul siphon shadow mana node. Now have 1800 unreserved mana. Update pics tomorrow.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMEBwVCBx4HYwelCPQOSA-rD8QQWBGWFecWbxa_Fy8aOBpsHRQegSSqJpUpTypbKw0snC0fNj026TpYO3xBlkJLRXxJUUmyS41Ms099UWBS7FVLVcZV1l3yXyph4mKsZOdqQ2sXbIxtbHBScNVzs37if8aAVoCkghCCHoJegpuD24XFidOMNo5kj0aP-pBVlSCVLpeXm6GdqqKjp4SplayYrrOvm7TFtvq4yrmTvOrAVMHzwuzDCcu90PXbC9-K37DfvuNq44TkIuvk6_XsOPBr8NXyHfem99f60v8c

Tactics:

How to deal with ele reflect:

- If you already have rathpith, than curse mobs with warlords mark, activate spphire flask (optionally also atziri's promise) and kill the mobs.

- If u don't have rathpith, swap to saffell's frame and proceed as above.

- For reflect map mod swap spell echo with faster casting and always use saffell's frame(even if u have rathpith), curse everything with warlords mark.

- optionally have a weapon crafted with 1% cold leech to pair saffell's for reflect counter.

General game play:

- for 50% regen map mod turn off AA and you are good.
- with cwdt setup: use enduring cry, curse ele weakness, kill, loot, proceed.
- with totem: place totem on the edge of the screen in your moving direction, curse, kill, loot, proceed.

Excuse me for my English skills.

Last edited by 1337fun on Oct 1, 2014, 8:38:39 AM
Been following this build somewhat, loving it! Thanks for the post.
Hi there, doing similar build tho on beyond thats why i droped quite few crit nodes and went for more block/hp. You can drop 2 dex nodes while traveling towards shadow starting point and travel through cold dmg right next to coldhearted calculation, this way you spend one more point but you gain 28% cold dmg and 5% freeze chance so i guess its worth it.
nice build guide, but can tell what bandit option you choice?
"
Drestou wrote:
Hi there, doing similar build tho on beyond thats why i droped quite few crit nodes and went for more block/hp. You can drop 2 dex nodes while traveling towards shadow starting point and travel through cold dmg right next to coldhearted calculation, this way you spend one more point but you gain 28% cold dmg and 5% freeze chance so i guess its worth it.

I was thinking to go through freeze, when i hit lvl 92. I didn't got there before, because i need dex, this 20 dex made me more flexible in choosing gear and 1 extra point to reach more important nodes faster. 5% freeze is not really useful for this build, u will not freeze most bosses with normal hit and crit = 100% freeze, so useless for bosses. As soon as u freeze any other mob with crit, they will stay frozen for long time and with high crit chance in 2nd form + cast speed u will freeze them all anyway very fast. And 28% increased dmg is not that much for 3 points, that's why not rushing to go through there.
For HC i would totally recommend to use 4L totem, as described in guide. This way u will basically never be attacked. I switched to imm call mainly for 2nd atziri boss.

"
Harunex wrote:
nice build guide, but can tell what bandit option you choice?

Thx for reminder, post updated.

why u dont run with crit kris dagger with spell dmg? it gives huge crit buff no?
like this. Isnt items like this better?
This build looks sick, going to roll as this now.
IGN shdowe
"
luciferus wrote:
why u dont run with crit kris dagger with spell dmg? it gives huge crit buff no?
like this. Isnt items like this better?

Such dagger is ofc good alternative, but i have already 72% crit chance in 2nd form without any crit chance gear. This dagger would give me another ~10% crit chance, but daggers can't roll cast speed. If u craft crit multi on it, it would be really nice.

If i would use a dagger with same stats as my scepter but swap this 19% cast speed with 80% spell crit chance, i would gain ~1k tool tip (1st form) dps, but loose ~500 dps in 2nd form and some mobility.

Since u never want to be in 1st form, i prefer my scepter over similar dagger. But it is personal preference, as u can see the difference is not so big. So if u want to crit more often use dagger, if u want some more 2nd form dps and better mobility use wands/scepters.
Would this be a good weapon? Not yet high enough level to use it but just wanted to know if this is something I should be looking for. Thanks!

The Lab, making a great game good since 2016.
"
Bowman8763 wrote:
Would this be a good weapon? Not yet high enough level to use it but just wanted to know if this is something I should be looking for. Thanks!

Not the OP, but given that you should be aiming to only hit mobs with your 2nd form icespear crit chance isn't something you should be looking for on your weapon. Pretty much need Spell Damage + Cast Speed + Multi + Cold Leech if you can roll it.

IGN shdowe

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info