[Build of the week S4E8] Havrd's Burning Arrow Marauder [Bloodlines][1.3]

I honestly believe there is no safer way to level than using dual flame totems so for bloodlines this is probably the best way to go. At lvl51 my DPS on FT with LMP is 600+ with a fire penetration gem linked which does not show on tooltip so effectively 3 beams means 1800 dps per totem and total 3600 with 2 totems. It's not over the top but more than enough to kill stuff fast and safe until I switch to the Chin Sol. Melee in a hc league just means higher risk.
You don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Just hit 62 and made the transition to Chil Sol... Holy moly.
Just got my Marauder BA to 84. Going to go ahead and stop this character once I hit level 85 for the challenge, since I feel there are some inherent issues with the Marauder start that noticeably hold this build back in endgame. Pretty long write-up ahead, but hopefully anyone looking to try the build out might find the feedback useful.

The lack of Clever Constructions makes this build painfully inconsistent relative to the usual trapper spec - and while there are small things you can do to play around it, in numerous maps this becomes a major nuisance that vastly reduces the speed and flow of clearing. Prolif trapping in the first place is a bit clunky - it's tough to aim at fast-moving mobs like Torment ghosts, you run out of traps from time to time, and single-target DPS is lacking on fire resistant mobs. It's tolerated for the clearspeed and reflect immunity. But add traps that die into the mix and it just gets frustrating as all hell. An endgame burn prolif build should be able to drop an ignite and move on. Spent 84 levels building this character, and it still can't do that. Another 16 and it still won't be able to - that fact just kills me. More life and more armor, sure, but the traps are never going to be consistent.

A second problem that really bugs me is the huge dexterity deficit. I have 42 dex on my boots, 42 dex on my quiver, 34 dex on my ammie, and when I bought a new ring I still ended up having to waste the last suffix slot to craft dex onto it in order to equip my Chin Sol. That's just...really lame. Makes gearing much more of a headache than it needs to be.

Third, I feel like armour just isn't the most solid defensive option for this spec. I actually went slightly deeper into armor than Havrd, and am running pretty insane armor pieces - 800 from my helm, 1600 from my chest. I have roughly 15k armor PRE-granite, and 5 endurance charges up constantly. But I've come to realize that I'm kind of gearing up against, well, the wrong thing. I mean, as a burn prolif trapper you never really stay in melee range. You don't come into contact with those hard-hitting Vaal/Skele giants. Even if you're up against a really fat double ele res, life regen mob, it's not like you're up there facetanking it like a melee - you kind of just drop a trap, run around in circles and pick up loot, then drop another trap. The damage that really consistently hits is spell damage and projectile damage. Poison Alchemist bombs, titty bitch fire, and whatnot. Armour doesn't do much to mitigate these sources of damage at all.

--

I knew these problems would arise in some capacity when I began this character, but I was pretty sure the extra damage Mara gets out of the witch tree and Iron Grip, in combination with the nice life regen nodes, would make up for it. They kinda don't.

After meeting another BA Trapper going at the build from a Shadow start and comparing numbers and experiences, I realized, with similar gear and having taken all of our respective builds' damage nodes, we had pretty much identical DPS. I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I went back and took a look at the tree. The two damage sources Mara has over the Shadow start are the witch ring and Iron Grip. Originally I thought these were huge damage boosters that would make Mara damage incomparably higher than Shadow damage, but after taking a second look I realized that that isn't true at all. The witch ring looks effing nice, but in reality it's actually a little worse than the Shadow starting nodes. As Havrd has already noticed, the Ignite branch of the ring is all but useless with the 1.3 tree, since we cap near 100% ignite chance even without it. So all we're really moving up there for is the fire damage and life. 4 total 10 int travel nodes to grab 71% fire damage, 3% fire pen, and 20% life (total of 12 nodes). In comparison, for 11 total nodes, the Shadow tree gives 96% fire damage and 24% life, and the 10% trap ele pen node in the Clever Construction ring more than makes up for the 3% fire pen. Marauder gets Iron Grip, but Shadow gets some trap damage nodes, as well as a sweet 20% phys damage/5% move speed node. Overall it comes out quite even in terms of damage from the tree, maybe favoring Marauder by a very slight, insignificant amount.

As for the life regen, it's definitely nice, but let's be real - 5% just isn't Bino's or RF level regen. You get around 200-250 life regen per second endgame. That isn't going to actually keep you from dying in a high-damage situation, and it doesn't regenerate your life fast enough that you won't simply pop a flask when you're chunked. The only thing I really found the life regen useful for was not having to mind Burning/Desecrated Ground mods.

--

Overall, I still love the Chin Sol BA trap concept, but after grinding to endgame I just don't agree that this is the way to go about it. Obviously it's just my opinion, but I guess it's food for thought for anyone looking to try and optimize this build. I'm a bit burned out on this build so I don't think I'll be making a new version for a while, but after this play-through here are my overall thoughts on some possible improvements:

1. Consider Shadow. RELIABLE TRAPS, similar damage, a bit more life, a ton of dexterity, RELIABLE TRAPS, eva/dodge over armor, and RELIABLE TRAPS.

Here's a really rough model of what I think I'd do with my tree as a shadow:
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAtDj79ZeXRXyMNuUZYeJVSxa_JpW1SG1sD6udqjY9bIxirNhUfrB2b3BR2-e0xTIYswNTMTpCS3jdqDBx1CMFtcLsTZIj9o19MHxRR42_1op_K6TCFHVW-nfXSn3jn4d2Z6D8xRUgLOndDSpN2L01krXybqpKyD8n_go8Lcautz4Es6IA8B-aO-Fz73w8BYKbGjiQVScv7DhxhcAaY_165kbXsULauXzZ9zJyqcT242oWb_rSZp426SSqr40dFAn21HwGDift5Y6ksaZXTeP-jzrh8kVZ86yqpDnQgUfiIuI=

2. Consider Alpha's Howl. Very solid helm in its own right - can't be frozen and lots of evasion, which is beneficial whether you're going armor (through IR) or evasion. The real benefit is that you get to toss Herald of Ash in on top of Grace and Anger. Obviously as trappers we don't get the overkill ignite, but it's a nice chunk of fire damage nonetheless. In combination with +2 Anger, this is really quite a significant damage boost. The aura reservation nodes by Avatar of Fire work just fine until you get an Alpha's. Debatable if this is worthwhile, but it's worth a try.

3. Toss Searing Bond into the 4th link of your curse setup. Blood Magic + Faster Casting + Flammability + Searing Bond. (You could also drop Faster Casting for Increased Burning Damage if you don't mind the slower cursing.) This build's single-target against high ele res rares/uniques is pretty ass. Another damage source can be very helpful. Searing Bond is pretty meh, but I haven't really thought of any superior options within this build's limited socket space.

4. A second option would be to dual-curse beefier mobs. Blood Magic + Faster Casting + Flammability + Ele Weakness or Arc+Curse on Hit=Ele Weakness-Flammability. Ball Lightning-GMP-Curse on Hit-Ele Weakness-Flammability if 5L. Might need a bit more mana regen to run the last two, but may be worth it if you want to go the dual-curse route. This build has really high base damage due to the Chin Sol+Point Blank trap interaction, but that gives a very generous overestimation of this build's damage, as it is lacking in resistance reduction/penetration compared to many other burn proliferation builds.

Bit long, but yeah. Those are my thoughts after playing this spec into endgame. Hopefully someone finds it useful.
Last edited by Languidness on Dec 21, 2014, 1:26:24 AM
Hmm... im lvl64 now and just bought a chin sol. This is not what I was hoping to hear lol...

Still, if I understand the subtle hints about RELIABLE TRAPS correctly this is the major problem in this build. I'm at a point where I can go in different ways and why not just path all the way to clever construction as marauder? This will solve the reliable traps issue and the dex issue even though it may be inefficient in terms of DPS. You can also remove some lower % life nodes around marauder and take the higher % nodes near the shadow area. Would it really hurt this build if you have xx% less (fire) damage? Biggest damage boost comes from the "MORE" attributes of chin sol, traps, WED etc. and "INCREASED" (fire) damage nodes have a relatively low impact on damage overall.

Maybe I'll just be unconventional and go all the way to clever construction as mara :)

Edit:
Based on my current tree and after some respeccing out of dual flame totem it could look like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABg4J9hQgFE0UdRZvGJEY2xkuGjghYCSqJy8n7SmlNug26T38QKBG104qValXDVhjWfNbr14TXz9hUmP9Zp5qAXGFcql08XrmggeCm4ZgjM-QVZe0rKqtjbFCvJ_AGsQVxPbG2M9-0iHUfNlh2rnjauw47SDvDu9O8kH2SPrS_EsdFK-N4XOiAFfid-WaOzwF73zBBFW1ns2nMAHnn8ukwlb6d9d_KzB8UUeNvwW1wuy0xdvncFF2b36w2FRirGyMnaqzAzIYUzHwH2jyMn6QDTN45zob4CKvOFN25w==
You don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Last edited by JohnnyV76 on Dec 21, 2014, 6:45:21 AM
"
JohnnyV76 wrote:
Hmm... im lvl64 now and just bought a chin sol. This is not what I was hoping to hear lol...

Still, if I understand the subtle hints about RELIABLE TRAPS correctly this is the major problem in this build. I'm at a point where I can go in different ways and why not just path all the way to clever construction as marauder? This will solve the reliable traps issue and the dex issue even though it may be inefficient in terms of DPS. You can also remove some lower % life nodes around marauder and take the higher % nodes near the shadow area. Would it really hurt this build if you have xx% less (fire) damage? Biggest damage boost comes from the "MORE" attributes of chin sol, traps, WED etc. and "INCREASED" (fire) damage nodes have a relatively low impact on damage overall.

Maybe I'll just be unconventional and go all the way to clever construction as mara :)

Edit:
Based on my current tree and after some respeccing out of dual flame totem it could look like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABg4J9hQgFE0UdRZvGJEY2xkuGjghYCSqJy8n7SmlNug26T38QKBG104qValXDVhjWfNbr14TXz9hUmP9Zp5qAXGFcql08XrmggeCm4ZgjM-QVZe0rKqtjbFCvJ_AGsQVxPbG2M9-0iHUfNlh2rnjauw47SDvDu9O8kH2SPrS_EsdFK-N4XOiAFfid-WaOzwF73zBBFW1ns2nMAHnn8ukwlb6d9d_KzB8UUeNvwW1wuy0xdvncFF2b36w2FRirGyMnaqzAzIYUzHwH2jyMn6QDTN45zob4CKvOFN25w==

Don't think I'd recommend doing it from Marauder. One of the main appeals of the Clever Constructions route is that you pass right by Acrobatics and Ondar's Guile, which Marauder won't really benefit from. Playing without Clever Constructions is fine if you don't mind the inconsistency. It's just that, for me, that really killed the appeal of the build.

If you do want to try it from Marauder, I'd recommend something like this:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEABg4J9hQgFE0UdRZvGJEY2xo4IWAkqicvJ-0ppTboNuk9_ECgRtdOKlhjWfNbr14TXz9hUmP9Zp5xhXKpdPF65oIHgpuGYIzPkFWsqrFCvJ_AGsT2xtjPftIh1HzaueNq7DjvDu9O8kH2SPrS_EsdFK-N4XOiAJo7PAXvfJ7NpzAB55_LpMJW-nfXfyswfFFHjb8FtcLstMXb53BRdm9-sNhUYqxsjJ2qswMyGFMx8B9o8jJ-9zJ82eoYdqwEs1BHBS1gS02SI_aNfVW1wQRqAZe0VanZfBRx-OtX4u0gd-U=

(You're missing Resolute Technique. The +2 trap ring is unnecessary since they don't lower trap recovery times. Can drop those for life.)
Last edited by Languidness on Dec 21, 2014, 4:22:29 PM
After giving it a second thought, I think an Armor-based Clever Constructions spec actually might not be as bad as I thought it was. I thought it'd be a waste to skip Acro and Ondar's, but I was playing with the passive tree and came up with a really retarded looking build that somehow ended up pretty nice stat-wise.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYA5Rm0OPv1l5dFfIw25Y6ksWHiVUsWvyaVbIydqjY9bWwPq2Ks2FR-sHZvcFHb57TFMhizA1MxtUhNkiP2jX0wfFFHjb8FtcLspMIUdVb6BS1gS14TMn6GYGFS704YkbyfggfZfM9-fNn3MicvkFUaOMAacqnjahZv-tJmnq-NHRSCm-w4Y_165nGFsULzEUbX73w8BZo7ogDhcyFgQKB08Rjbfyt31xRN_EtqAZe0VanyQTbpJKpo8vAfCfbUfAYOJ-3E9nrvdO2tjRRx-OvqGHasOlIOPFnzrKqfy6cwAec=

Shadow's 112 point spec has 190% life, 110% armour, 55% non-doubledip damage scaling, and 218% double-dip damage scaling. Iron Grip, 10% trap pen. Clever Construction, Unwavering Stance or Iron Reflexes.

Mara's 112 point spec has 195% life, 148% armour, 84% non double-dip damage scaling, and 201% double-dip damage scaling. Iron Grip, 3% fire pen. Iron Reflexes, Unwavering Stance.

So, offensively the builds are pretty much spot-on identical. Defensively Marauder is a bit stronger - more armour and gets both IR and US, whereas Shadow can only pick up one of the two. Main offset for this is Clever Constructions on the Shadow side.

I still think simple Eva-based Shadow would be best though.
You guys are writing way too fast, i have no idea where to begin to respond to everybody.

To keep this short, if you have a playstyle like mine / love armour / HP-regen. And you don't mind getting abit of ex on your gear -> Marauder

If you worry about your traps getting sniped by Storm Heralds and leapers and don't mind playing an evasion character -> Shadow

The build consept is identical either class you pick. Vaal Burning Arrow is a crazy insane skill - nuff said.

The big point here isnt about what class is the "best" its more about playstyle.

After leveling with BOWS / MOLTEN STRIKE / FLAMEBLAST i can clearly say that Flameblast is the best way to level this character. Im still going to update the entire guide when im done with my character myself, only problem is that i havent had that much time to play myself, also i have died on alot of yolo builds :D

All this said, thanks so much for therocrafting this build with me guys! Its pure enjoyment to read your views on it <3

PS: Languidness, holy shit what a crazy wrapup. I still don't agree with Clever Construction, but like i said, its a playstyle thing. Nontheless that wrapup was insaneeeeee
Build of the week / Burning Arrow Trapper : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1036602 [Build nerfed to oblivion]
Fall of Arrows / RoA, Lioneyes Fall : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1387765 [Updated as of 2.0] [Viable as of 2.1]
all skill trees link are not working:(
Care to post the marauder build for BA languiness? My build for marauder doesn't not have the same damage in double dip and non double-dip you listed. Thanks
I took a slightly different approach to Burning Arrow Prolif. I started Ranger using this tree:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-fXX-urvjxKLcFafU_sgbARn-73rnCgqbeOv8xWegh3bjn0p9Vvqq-KiiwdgUdaTC3Q0s6crTGbS-p2VNvTZHfoTZbmnV-HfXfyvWijB8jX0j9k2SUUeVBdnGMpR_Aqbgjb8FtdQjMHHdqEt4OkJirGyMnao2PW1s53To1psmMgGyGc96Yet6U7VIBiMfQQMeFr8mlWHiVUuMNqSx5Y6dY9qNq9IlP-sUkAoknWJadcvqYiLqsTC1CHGhj0_IDLTRdoLjhPv1tDjlGUV8l5ev6w==

Not that much elemental damage, so my burns weren't getting all the double dips from elemental damage. If I were to revisit that tree, I'd probably start as a Shadow and hit up the Witch's fire nodes. I personally don't like the trap support gem because of its cooldown so I just shot a burning arrow into packs myself.

My gear was all 4Ls and the main links being
Burning Arrow - Chance to Ignite - Elemental Proliferation - Increased Burn Damage
Reduced Mana - Grace/Haste - Herald of Ash - Elemental Proliferation
Puncture - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Added Fire Damage - Weapon Elemental Damage
Rain of Arrows - Curse on Hit - Flammability - Life Leech

Notable things on my gear
4L Chin Sol
4L Belly of the Beast
Lots of accuracy on items
and this beauty

It allowed me to sustain my life really well

I hit level 85 in Torment feeling pretty tanky. My damage vs fire resist packs was lackluster unfortunately. The build relied on running around really quick, cursing with RoA and then throwing Burning Arrow into something. Bosses didn't melt to this build, but I was so mobile that taking down most bosses was easy (Torture Chamber EZ // Jungle Valley Impossible)
I never made it into 77+ maps but I was able to do alched almost any mod maps solo.

This is the tree I'd use if I were to redo my build
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAtDj79ZeXRXyMNuUZYeJVSxa_JpW1SG1snao2PWyMYqw6Qkt43agwcdQjBbVNkiP2jX0wfFFHjb_Win8rpMIUdVb6d9dKfeOfh3ZnoPzF5Y6ksejW53R6U2Hrz3qyGTIBmyYKm3jr5wrTfu96_rp9de2DGY4AXggu3BXEorvjYloknRsB_sin1Bn-rJh_xhGWDkjjhOxVKo1JGzbY8WyD21XGOljIDLTRdoItH0yzBAeVIMHzoqM9X1JTl5VtGZf0wFQI9GpDvOpxobUIsTAi6o9Pwdiooqr4BiMfQQMenWM=
Last edited by Merlyn95 on Jan 5, 2015, 1:26:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info