fix your goddamn memory hog game

"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Here's what I don't understand about your post. Multimonitor setups on some games can use insane amounts of vRAM, like 6GB. So...how is this possible?

Like said by another poster, a 64 bit application can use that much memory. Path of exile is 32 bit, and I will assume that it is flagged with large address space awareness. And this pool is the total memory address allocation for the entire game, video buffer included.

A 32 bit application that is NOT flagged to be large address space aware is capped at 2gb no matter what it is running on.

On a 32 bit operating system, a large space aware 32 bit application is capped at 3gb.

On a 64 bit operating system, a large space aware 32 bit application is capped at 4gb.
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 2, 2014, 9:34:26 PM
Just to clarify, you are referring to the actual application itself and how much RAM it is allowed to "reserve", not the actual RAM that the computer itself can use

My understanding is that for 32 bit OS it can only allocate 4gb of videocard and RAM total, so if you have a 1GB graphics card, even with 4gb ram only 3gb is actually able to be used, while 64 bit doesn't have this limitation (it does have a limitation but its not 4gb anymore).

^ yep, OS memory limits are different then how much it allows an application access to.

There is a difference in how the memory limits of the operating system itself are and how it treats applications. Applications follow different models of memory limits that are stricter then the OS itself. A 64 bit OS, with 16 gb of ram and a trio of sli mode linked 2 gb video cards can use all that ram for whatever... but only a total of 4 gb for any one 32 bit application. And a 32 bit OS, being limited to 4gb total itself, reserves 1gb that nothing else can touch so that the OS itself can still run.

"
Real_Wolf wrote:

My understanding is that for 32 bit OS it can only allocate 4gb of videocard and RAM total, so if you have a 1GB graphics card, even with 4gb ram only 3gb is actually able to be used, while 64 bit doesn't have this limitation (it does have a limitation but its not 4gb anymore).

For the operating system, yes. For applications this page has a post by fzb that also explains it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e029e271-2c53-4e23-8da4-ac48e2092a76/memory-limits-of-32bit-application-running-on-64bit-os-windows-2008-server-64bit?forum=winservergen

or this link
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#memory_limits
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 2, 2014, 9:33:06 PM
Ty.
And yes, per my last posts that means a 32 bit os with a 1gb video card is only allowed that remaining 3gb of ram if they aren't using PAE extensions... of which 1 gb may be reserved by the OS and 1gb will sit unused by anything. So even with that normal limit of 3gb for a 32 bit application the client ends up only being allow to reserve 2gb of system ram for this game if the user did not enable PAE extensions. And the game likely will run into massive ram shortages and crashes if they either do not change to 64bit or enable PAE.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 2, 2014, 9:40:31 PM
I'm gonna take a look when I get on and see how much vRAM I'm using. Curiosity and all. I know the client takes about 2.4 GB RAM.
^ Remember, if on a 64 bit OS you should be allowed up to 1.6gb on the gpu then with the game tying up it's 2.4gb of system ram...

if you can test it, can you let me know how much video ram it is in a full party on merviel? or something else equally gpu demanding... on max settings at a higher resolution if possible. Push it as much as it can go to see the remaining wiggle room we have in memory allowance if you can.

Right now though the biggest issue I can see in this is for those on 32 bit operating systems... something microsoft was stupid enough to sell windows 8 versions of even though windows 8 needs 2gb of ram just to sit there......

edit - at least we know that a 32 bit operating system with a 1gb video card most likely cannot run this game at all if they do not enable PAE extensions... at least without constant crashes.
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 2, 2014, 10:25:22 PM
With all settings on max and in a map, on a 1440p monitor, I sit around 750MB vRAM. It inches a *little* bit upwards during gameplay but not much.
^ thanks for the info and it seems that sadly I'm possibly right with this worry of mine. With a system ram footprint of 2.4gb and a gpu footprint of >750 mb that leaves the 32 bit OS client potentially broken (in some instances due to graphics) in the current state assuming there aren't any memory leaks as that is ~3.15 gb of usage out of the limit of 3gb which will cause frequent crashes even if their gpu is more then capable of running this game.

An actual memory leak or if they don't learn their lesson and keep adding on more of these unoptimized additions and this game might not even be playable on a 64bit OS.. unless they make a 64bit client, which will make all 32 bit OS users unable to play this game anymore.

I hope they can trim it down with all of these unoptimized addditions until they are ready to make PoE2, because making a 64 bit client at this point will be more work then making PoE2 in a licensed engine would be*....

* because as a single threaded engine the transition to 64 bit is a lot more painful in the end overall
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 3, 2014, 12:39:41 AM
"
Jiero wrote:
^ thanks for the info and it seems that sadly I'm possibly right with this worry of mine. With a system ram footprint of 2.4gb and a gpu footprint of >750 mb that leaves the 32 bit OS client potentially broken (in some instances due to graphics) in the current state assuming there aren't any memory leaks as that is ~3.15 gb of usage out of the limit of 3gb which will cause frequent crashes even if their gpu is more then capable of running this game.

An actual memory leak or if they don't learn their lesson and keep adding on more of these unoptimized additions and this game might not even be playable on a 64bit OS.. unless they make a 64bit client, which will make all 32 bit OS users unable to play this game anymore.

I hope they can trim it down with all of these unoptimized addditions until they are ready to make PoE2, because making a 64 bit client at this point will be more work then making PoE2 in a licensed engine would be*....

* because as a single threaded engine the transition to 64 bit is a lot more painful in the end overall

Do remember, that is with all settings on max, 16x filtering,and on a 1440p monitor. But yes, I would be curious as to how much is used on more mainstream resolutions and settings.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info