fix your goddamn memory hog game

2.5gb ram for this game, yeah okay. Just died because this shitty game maxed out my 8gb somehow, game completely froze wouldn't respond, yep dead after it crashed.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
[Removed by Support] gimme my charaacter back
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Sep 3, 2014, 9:07:40 AM
yep i ran out of memeory a few quite playing for long even on 8gigs, the memory leak is fucking pissing me off xD get dc randomly and shit.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
And here I was going to go ahead and post a thread about how PoE never seems to bother to use my systems ram...

The thing is, PoE lags misserably (even loading from an SSD) when content is not in the memory and needs to be rendered. This is especially horrible when opening strongboxes or when a fast-affix boss suddenly comes charging your way.

Now like you guys, I have ample memory in my system, but PoE only bothers to use 1.9~2.4GB. (I've never seen it use more).

Well on the memleak issue here; I've played a good amount of hours and cannot reproduce. My system resources are displayed permanently on my secondary monitor, and like I said, I've never seen PoE use more than 2.4GB.

And I wish it did, since I just have 32GB sitting there, of which most of the time 20GB is empty when I game and I hate dying to ingame stutters, when these are not necessary at all.

I too hope that they do some more work on this.
"
unicron wrote:
And here I was going to go ahead and post a thread about how PoE never seems to bother to use my systems ram...

The thing is, PoE lags misserably (even loading from an SSD) when content is not in the memory and needs to be rendered. This is especially horrible when opening strongboxes or when a fast-affix boss suddenly comes charging your way.

Now like you guys, I have ample memory in my system, but PoE only bothers to use 1.9~2.4GB. (I've never seen it use more).

Well on the memleak issue here; I've played a good amount of hours and cannot reproduce. My system resources are displayed permanently on my secondary monitor, and like I said, I've never seen PoE use more than 2.4GB.

And I wish it did, since I just have 32GB sitting there, of which most of the time 20GB is empty when I game and I hate dying to ingame stutters, when these are not necessary at all.

I too hope that they do some more work on this.

If you have that much, use RAMdisk. To the OP, I haven't seen memory leak since way back in CB.
Also it likely isn't a memory leak as much as I suspect that it is the memory pool cap on 32 bit applications*. I posted it here twice hoping for a response on GGG as it is a critical issue that needs addressed and I hope they took it to heart but have no idea as I've gotten no response from them about it.

* In a 32 bit OS this game can use a total memory pool between system and gpu of 3gb, on a 64 bit system that is a limit of 4gb. With these additions it indeed is increasing in its memory footprint and using a lot more of both system and gpu memory. Right now it would appear that the game is capable of trying to use more memory between gpu and system memory then a client running on a 32bit OS is allowed to allocate, and if something isn't done soon then maybe even the 64 bit OS clients will not be able to allocate the ram needed for this game (seems it can already happen at times anyway so....**). You can have 64gb of ram and a 4gb video card on that system, but it is ONLY allowed a total of 4gb to use for this game on that 64 bit system... if this game is demanding 4.5gb of memory address space then it cannot run at all no matter what essentially as long as it remains a 32 bit application.

edit - All memory use beyond that is the normal procedure of the operating system caching frequently used files to make them load faster and it will use up as much ram as is available (or until the entire client file is loaded into ram) also.

** In a post before mine it was said that he saw this client use 2.4gb and if the gpu used 1.7gb for particles, pre-rendering and all other usage of the gpu then it would have been above the memory limit of the game as a 32 bit client even on a 64 bit OS.
Last edited by Jiero on Sep 2, 2014, 3:32:14 PM
Here's what I don't understand about your post. Multimonitor setups on some games can use insane amounts of vRAM, like 6GB. So...how is this possible?
Game is full of memory leaks
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Here's what I don't understand about your post. Multimonitor setups on some games can use insane amounts of vRAM, like 6GB. So...how is this possible?

Are they 32-bit or 64-bit clients?

The previous poster is pushing a request for a 64-bit PoE client which would be nice for those of us with more than 4gig of RAM.

As for memory leaks....never had an issue but I rarely play for longer than 2-3 hours at a time.
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara
I run PoE all day, leaving it afk for hours on end and it never breaks 2.5gig give or take a few points.

The new effects are indeed in need of some work and cause some drop in fps but nothing even my not so great-mid-tier system can't handle without crying on the forums about it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info