The screen freeze when opening chests has to go!

Since you can modify the strongboxes, there's no way for the client to be able to predict what a strongbox is going to spawn. You have to load the resources for the monsters created at some point, and that point can only be when you open the box.

If they decide to "fix this", they would have to add a 2 second delay while things are being loaded into memory... maybe with some animation like you fiddling with the chest.

Your suggestion basically penalizes people who have invested in SSDs to solve this "problem" themselves.
Wow this is still happening? I know I've had this issue in 2week race (I wasn't playing ambush), but now it's completly gone for me. Chest opens and no freeze, no matter what is in the box.

E: Now that I think about it, I wasn't running PoE through SSD in 2week, I am now tho. That might have solved it.
kiwi nation
Last edited by Kujar3 on Sep 2, 2014, 8:48:50 AM
"
Kujar3 wrote:
Wow this is still happening? I know I've had this issue in 2week race (I wasn't playing ambush), but now it's completly gone for me. Chest opens and no freeze, no matter what is in the box.

E: Now that I think about it, I wasn't running PoE through SSD in 2week, I am now tho. That might have solved it.

The issue is likely still there, but you've grown accustom to it. You don't notice it anymore because it's inconsequential to you. You likely have a machine capable of transferring the data to the active memory quickly enough that it's not a problem for you. You notice it at first, because it's unexpected. Once it becomes expected, you only notice it if it's a problem.
Stuff like that is always going to be in this game. They can't fix any of it
Last edited by Corwynt on Sep 2, 2014, 9:23:39 AM
This is related to the way the game load the resources in this game, it's slow and inefficient. It's not really viable on a regular 7200rpm hard drive imo so you almost have to play on an SSD or a RAM drive to enjoy the game.
Tech guy
"
Torchbane wrote:
I've never had a game freeze when I opened a chest. Strongboxes cause a one second freeze but we're not taking about those.

Pretty sue that is exactly what he is talking about.
I have this issue as well.

I try not to criticize GGG, but I really do not understand why this game has such weird design decisions.

The crazy load times, and this chest thing.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to coding or game design. But this "it is your dated hardware" reasoning by some self styled experts I know is wrong, just for the sole reason that it is not an issue in other games. And my hardware is not that old and was top of the line when i bought it.

In the time it takes this game to load up, the entire game should be riding in memory you would think.

At the very least, preload the contents of a strongbox.

I may experiment with this ramdisk thing. I have 16g of pretty fast memory, be nice if the game used it.
"
Spodean wrote:
I am by no means an expert when it comes to coding or game design. But this "it is your dated hardware" reasoning by some self styled experts I know is wrong, just for the sole reason that it is not an issue in other games. And my hardware is not that old and was top of the line when i bought it.

This.

I am continuously disturbed by this community's (and often, the developer's) blind willfulness to blame problems like this on anything other than the inefficiency and poor optimization of the code. I am especially frustrated when I am told the problem is with my hardware, when I can run any other game made in the last year on ultra high graphics settings without any problems.

This is an incredibly unprofessional and egregious approach to the problem. It is like an engineer made a car, and when that car bursts into flames for some people, they respond by saying "oh, it must be the road you were driving on."

The problem with strong box screen lock-ups is that they do not have any tiered quality loading system. For instance, games in the Unreal Engine use resources that are much larger than those used in PoE, but when it needs to load, say, a texture that is too large to load immediately, it instead loads a very low resolution texture to stand in its place while the larger one loads. For a few seconds it doesn't look the best it can, but for those few seconds you can still actually play the game. It doesn't lock you out of action just because it can't properly draw what it needs to yet.

The fact that there is no similar failsafe in PoE's engine is a fault of the software developer's, not the end user's hardware.

And for those people who say "just use smoke mine lol": the screen freeze also locks out user input, so a lot of the time you just plain cannot use smoke mine, and even when you can, two seconds of screen lock is more than enough for you to still die even after you smoke mine out. This is not a solution. It isn't even a workaround.

I love this game, but their poor design decisions and business practices are going to end them. They keep releasing new content so that people will keep paying for MTX, but if they don't stop and optimize their code, pretty soon their entire user base will be forced to upgrade its hardware to play their game. And if they have to pay $100's to $1000's on hardware, they're not going to want to spend money on PoE afterwards. And that will bury this game.
its much worse in this patch for me

on some strongboxes i got several seconds lag, especially when there are exiles in
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
An option to load additional mtx pve content (mtx which only is used by rogue exiles) would be gladly appreciated.

Got no problem to wait another 10-20 seconds for the game to load up instead of losing 2+ days of effort.

Stuff like this really demotivates me to play PoE (since I only play HC), and this leads to not being motivated to buy supporter packs. Just saying.
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info