"You were a good man in a bad situation"

"
thescyphozoa wrote:
"
Believe it or not, it is possible to be a lesbian and not condemn someone for dallying with a slave IF the latter is conveyed as 'standard behaviour' for a certain class or archetype.

But isn't that class/archetype exactly the type of person the Ranger is supposed to hate the most?

IIRC, she was an ex-slave that Fairgraves "freed" and then played around with (but not in an ownership sense). So, technically Fairgraves freed a life, and life ownership is the thing the Ranger is really opposed to.
Scion's most crazy line is when she kills Hailrake. She then says (paraphrased) "For the first time in ages, I finally get the good feeling of helping someone". How is killing Hailrake helping him? xD

(Ok not the craziest one that one goes to "NOW THE CREATURES OF MY NIGHTMARES WEAR FLESH AND HAUNT ME IN THIS TWILIGHT THAT IS MY LAIF!")
Last edited by Ouroboros226 on Sep 1, 2014, 8:06:51 PM
"
Actually I think the type she hates the most are gamekeepers and nobles who want to 'enslave' nature. The fact that she's lesbian is more of an undertone rather than a defining feature, which I always found rather sophisticated on GGG's behalf.

And I agree it's not a defining feature, I just feel it's an undertone that they may have ignored at some points.
"
Which brings me back to my core disbelief with the Scion: there is absolutely no reason why Dominus wouldn't have recruited her.

He probably doesn't want too many people in his inner circle. Piety suits his needs so he has no reason to bother considering anyone else.

And I don't think she would have accepted anyway.

"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
Scion's most crazy line is when she kills Hailrake. She then says (paraphrased) "For the first time in ages, I finally get the good feeling of helping someone". How is killing Hailrake helping him? xD

(Ok not the craziest one that one goes to "NOW THE CREATURES OF MY NIGHTMARES WEAR FLESH AND HAUNT ME IN THIS TWILIGHT THAT IS MY LAIF!")

What about
"
To Brutus: "Please my lord, just talk to me!"

Having killed Brutus: "Curse you, Brutus! Curse your symbols and curse your bloody murdered empire! I would have listened... I would have understood!"

Like...what the fuck do you expect Brutus to say to you? WHY ARE YOU CALLING HIM "MY LORD"?
"
There is no telling if Vinia's conversion to Piety wasn't somehow forced by that one meeting with Dominus either.

I was under the assumption that Piety is the one who tipped Dominus off to the potentials of the virtue gems and inspired the whole Oriathan expedition to Wraeclast. Before then Dominus was just your typical power-hungry theocrat. She was already dealing heavily in Thaumatergy before her audience with Dominus and always had ambitions to something greater, as Clarissa explains to the Exile.
Last edited by OverUsedChewToy on Sep 1, 2014, 8:26:40 PM
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:

She is helping people by retrieving the medicine chest.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
The Scion is most definitely not 'good'. Anyone who can walk away from her introduction monologue thinking she's good has more than a few moral screws loose.

Hmm? explain.
If you are talking about the murder of the husband it is not explicit whether he was an innocent or not.
From her words it seems she was arranged a forced noble wedding and he had but a carnal interest in her and she killed him for it.
Its the old tale of desperate escape from a role in a noble society's norms.

EDIT: I shouldnt quickwrite stuff as I alt tab from game.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Sep 1, 2014, 11:08:22 PM
The witch says she admires Piety's work, after running through the horrors of mutilated bodies and the lake of blood. (The achievement for killing Dominus on merciless is called "Usurper".) Pretty evil, if that's what GGG is going for.
"
Semptimilius wrote:
The witch says she admires Piety's work, after running through the horrors of mutilated bodies and the lake of blood. (The achievement for killing Dominus on merciless is called "Usurper".) Pretty evil, if that's what GGG is going for.

The Witch and the Shadow are sociopaths and don't even try to hide it. The Duelist has his code of honour, but not really any kind of moral principles he's standing up for. The Scion is all over the place.

On the other hand, the Ranger, Templar and Marauder each appear to have a clear moral code, so could be considered 'good' by their own standards, although the player doesn't have to agree with these codes.
Last edited by Incompetent on Sep 1, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
"
Incompetent wrote:
"
Semptimilius wrote:

The Witch and the Shadow are sociopaths and don't even try to hide it. The Duelist has his code of honour, but not really any kind of moral principles he's standing up for. The Scion is all over the place.

On the other hand, the Ranger, Templar and Marauder each appear to have a clear moral code, so could be considered 'good' by their own standards, although the player doesn't have to agree with these codes.

Yep. Well put.

Duelist is pretty clearly a narcissist.
I'm thinking 'Good man' and 'bad situation' are relative. Fairgraves gives us no reason to believe he was a good man, but he was the not the controlling or exiling type. Compared to Dominus and the lords of Oriath, he probably looks like a decent guy to the Ranger. While he does screw the "You can't own a life" thing, he does fit with the freedom and exploratory parts of the Ranger.

And being stuck as a ghost in Siren City, with the possibility of escaping and returning to life being juuuuust outside his grasp for who knows how long, what would the Ranger do? Lurk forever as the undead, or find a way to live or die properly?

More like "You weren't the worst person I've ever met, and I probably would do the same in your shoes." condensed into something that sounds cooler but isn't as accurate.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info