Getting to the end game takes too long

100% no, terrible suggestion and I would hate this change for a goal of 'getting to endgame faster'

Do you know what endgame is? Technically it is where the actual game has finished and you are just dicking around. Most games don't have an 'endgame' because it is boring, the game producer doesn't have anything for you to actually do cause you've finished the content. You often get things like timed runs, repeating the same content but trying to do it faster, or optional collect all the 'x' missions to try to take up your time more.

Why on earth would you want to get to endgame earlier, what you should be wanting is for endgame to be further away, so you can spend more time playing the actual content. Content that is thematically pleasing because mobs are in the correct place (hate some invasion mobs ruining this immersion), content that is smooth (should be ignoring act 3x weird spike, should be a smooth spike), content that is not based on your luck of getting map drops.

I would HATE it if they went 'lets make endgame easier'. Its like saying "why not just remove act 1, people have played it all now, just when start your at level 30 and get a pick of gear, then when you finish normal you gain another 10 levels instantly"

Or hell, lets just start at maps. Nothing but maps. No you can't go do normal content, its only maps and one instance to farm maps in.

Builds for me always start about end act 3, maybe start of cruel. Thats where your supports have started being available, and everything has fallen into place. So saying builds start at 55-60 is a joke. Sure some people play for endgame, but don't ruin it for others because you don't like the actual content the developers made only want the endgame stuff. Rolling alts is the 'goal' of an ARPG, because at a certain point your character development is halted. What you then should be doing is making a new character and having that gear progression start again
It takes too long, for casual gamers where a couple hours a day turns into 2+ weeks to get to a3m. It could be argued that you can just continue your HC death in standard league but practically speaking, its a deterrent to playing HC for players who don't have a lot of time.

I don't have a good solution, but I hope it doesn't get worse with an Act 4.
"
simballine wrote:
a couple hours a day turns into 2+ weeks to get to a3m

I think you're doing something wrong.
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
100% no, terrible suggestion and I would hate this change for a goal of 'getting to endgame faster'

Do you know what endgame is? Technically it is where the actual game has finished and you are just dicking around. Most games don't have an 'endgame' because it is boring, the game producer doesn't have anything for you to actually do cause you've finished the content. You often get things like timed runs, repeating the same content but trying to do it faster, or optional collect all the 'x' missions to try to take up your time more.

Why on earth would you want to get to endgame earlier, what you should be wanting is for endgame to be further away, so you can spend more time playing the actual content. Content that is thematically pleasing because mobs are in the correct place (hate some invasion mobs ruining this immersion), content that is smooth (should be ignoring act 3x weird spike, should be a smooth spike), content that is not based on your luck of getting map drops.

I would HATE it if they went 'lets make endgame easier'. Its like saying "why not just remove act 1, people have played it all now, just when start your at level 30 and get a pick of gear, then when you finish normal you gain another 10 levels instantly"

Or hell, lets just start at maps. Nothing but maps. No you can't go do normal content, its only maps and one instance to farm maps in.

Builds for me always start about end act 3, maybe start of cruel. Thats where your supports have started being available, and everything has fallen into place. So saying builds start at 55-60 is a joke. Sure some people play for endgame, but don't ruin it for others because you don't like the actual content the developers made only want the endgame stuff. Rolling alts is the 'goal' of an ARPG, because at a certain point your character development is halted. What you then should be doing is making a new character and having that gear progression start again

The game was built up around the aspect of rerolling, so endgame should technically never end or take a long time to end since you will be farming for the sake of farming on your high level character, while leveling up lower level characters to make use of the high level items that are being farmed.

The problem that PoE has right now is that progression is so slow unless you focus all your efforts on one character, by the time you have a powerful character that is capable of smashing 74+ maps you will the league has likely ended or is close to ending. The only people who are smashing 74+ maps in a HC league are those that play far more than your casual/average gamer does.

I don't know why you PoE defenders think that getting to endgame faster is a bad thing; people won't get bored of the game just because they reach endgame. They will get bored if they discover that once they hit endgame, they find out that there's a distinct lack of build diversity. If the supposedly great build diversity is there (which according to you and various PoE defender/WKs/fanboys always preach about), then there shouldn't be a problem with allowing people to reach the endgame faster, as once they get bored with one character they would just roll a different one. Right now, the economy, the difficulty, and overall unsmooth progression does not encourage rerolling at all, particularly in more temporary leagues where the economy tends to be much more stable due to a lack of excessive botting.
Last edited by allbusiness on Sep 1, 2014, 6:59:03 PM
We had ruthless difficulty back in teh days.... :-) So to reach endgame maps, I had to replay act 1 exactly 4 times :-)

To the topic. I see normal difficulty as the most boring and the hardest one to begin with a new character with 0 items starting from scratch in a new league. I am no racer, so it takes some time to finish normal because you have no links, no 31 lvl support gems nothing. You dont have superior aoe spells to clear packs fast etc.

Cruel is what I love. Getting to the twilight strand around level 35 where you have some points invested and your character finally starts to feel strong. You have the 24-31 lvl support gems to help you level up faster etc. Cruel was always teh fastest difficulty for me.

Merciless is ok act1 and 2 but I hate act 3. It is just rushing for skill point quests and end game maps. Asking for waypoints everywhere etc. Not entertaining at all, atleast for me.

Act 1 is my favorite from all acts. I wonder how the fourth act will look like in 2015.
It takes well under 24 hours of play to get to maps. You're simply not playing for speed if you take much longer. People with no starting equipment at all get to level 75 in under 6 hours.

It's not that it takes too long... it's that there are builds in the game that are far far more efficient than others. The developers are basing the game on these players and leaving slow-pokes in the dust.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
It takes well under 24 hours of play to get to maps. You're simply not playing for speed if you take much longer. People with no starting equipment at all get to level 75 in under 6 hours.

It's not that it takes too long... it's that there are builds in the game that are far far more efficient than others. The developers are basing the game on these players and leaving slow-pokes in the dust.

Meh, speed is irrelevant. The travel could feel less like a déja vù for those that take their time or don't want to use a levelling setup.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Sep 1, 2014, 10:43:03 PM
The solution the the 'deja vu' is simple. More acts. And guess what they are working on? Omg its more acts.

Its like how we used to have ruthless. It existed to make the games 'length' for levelling closer to what it should be. We had 2 acts and 4 difficulties, 8 acts total to run through. We now have 3 acts and 3 difficulties, for 9 acts to runt hrough.

When we rach 4 acts, they may go to just two difficulties, depending on how things line up, so 8 acts to run through. If not 12 acts does seem like a lot, but would also mean the jump up to merc would be a bit more logical.

But trying to 'shorten' time to endgame is a fools game, because endgame itself is where the developers have not got any actual content, and instead have added 'place holder' things to do while the real content is still being developed. Ala maps used to be lvl 60ish and at act 3 release they changed to lvl 66 because of more areas being available.
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
The solution the the 'deja vu' is simple. More acts. And guess what they are working on? Omg its more acts.

Its like how we used to have ruthless. It existed to make the games 'length' for levelling closer to what it should be. We had 2 acts and 4 difficulties, 8 acts total to run through. We now have 3 acts and 3 difficulties, for 9 acts to runt hrough.

When we rach 4 acts, they may go to just two difficulties, depending on how things line up, so 8 acts to run through. If not 12 acts does seem like a lot, but would also mean the jump up to merc would be a bit more logical.

But trying to 'shorten' time to endgame is a fools game, because endgame itself is where the developers have not got any actual content, and instead have added 'place holder' things to do while the real content is still being developed. Ala maps used to be lvl 60ish and at act 3 release they changed to lvl 66 because of more areas being available.

Again: acts take time, and they are not the only viable solution to this dilemma in the genre (we have maps in PoE and TL2, they seem more apropiate for end game, and Bounties plus Rifts in D3: ROS). I bet it will take some years before we don't need dificulties.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Yes, it will. But this is like asking the developer of a game like Mirrors edge to add more timed challenges to the game. Sure, it already has a few things you can try to beat once you've finished it, but there isn't really any new content at that point, you have FINISHED the game.

I don't mind adding more things to the actual game, and I can accept maps as something 'different' to keep people busy if not wanting to reroll, but the idea of trying to make the actual game shorter to get to the placeholder just seems backwards to me

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info