What really Grinds your Gears about PoE?

They keep adding content that's intentionally unpleasant to play against. I'm not talking about difficulty. I'm talking about things that just make it suck to play the game.

Beyond mobs are prime examples of this. They take forever to kill without being too challenging and drop nothing. That's unpleasant. Even worse than that is the noise the humanoids make. It's rancid shit. It is a noise designed to sound incredibly unpleasant and they fucking succeeded. Every time a humanoid Beyonder spawns, you are in for some prime ear violation.

This is the epitome unpleasantness by design.

I love most of the game, but GGG seems to be trying their hardest to make me hate it. I just stopped playing Beyond. I can't take that shit anymore. They did their best to make the Beyond mobs awful to play against. It worked.
Beyond is about killing the player by making very powerful monsters. So is invasion. One of the biggest complaints about the onslaught and nemesis leagues by many people was that they were too 'autopilot' and 'easy', so GGG are attempting to make the hardcore gameplay hard. They don't intend to be making the game not challenging.

Yes, they may have made mistakes regarding the beyond monsters in that they don't deal enough damage to be threatening, and I am in agreement they may have made them too 'difficult' to deal with comparable to the benefit of doing so making them not worth the time to do, but it is also a careful balance as they don't want to make them something everyone WANTS to farm, they need to be in a middle area of bigger challenge than normal gameplay, but also better reward for the time invested
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Beyond is about killing the player by making very powerful monsters. So is invasion.

Beyond is nothing like Invasion. Invasion had challenging bosses that showed up occasionally and dropped decent rewards (eventually). I don't think they ever got the challenge to reward ratio right, though. The invaders seemed to get balanced around new players at the end.

Beyond has non-challenging mobs with boss level life that show up constantly and drop nothing. They also make the most ear-fucking noises the game offers, which is what finally kicked me out of the league.

I loved Invasion. I hate Beyond. If the shit mobs didn't exist and we had an interesting way to spawn the bosses, the league would be fantastic. As it is, it's an uninspired failure of a design. No new designs for the mobs we see constantly, not fun to play against them, not fun to have sound on in the game anymore. GGG really dropped the ball.

It's like how they implemented kill streaks. The basic idea is fantastic, just like with Beyond. They just chose to go in the worst possible direction.

I expected kill streaks to make my character better as I build up kills. I'd get bonus movement speed, bonus cast speed, and other things that make my character do what my character does better. Instead we get a bunch of shit abilities that I'd turn off if I could. Not a single one of those is an ability I actually want my character to have.

I don't even have a fallback league this time. They're both shit.

Edit: I didn't make it clear that I liked Invasion at every point of the balancing. The idea and implementation were sound. Even if they never got the balance quite right, it was still fun to play. Beyond is not fun. Rebalancing won't make it fun. The spawning mechanic sucks. The sound really, really sucks. I do love the bosses, but I'm not dealing with 99.9% bad league content to play against the .1% good league content.
Last edited by Jennik on Sep 2, 2014, 10:39:28 PM
"
Jennik wrote:
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Beyond is about killing the player by making very powerful monsters. So is invasion.

Beyond is nothing like Invasion. Invasion had challenging bosses that showed up occasionally and dropped decent rewards (eventually). I don't think they ever got the challenge to reward ratio right, though. The invaders seemed to get balanced around new players at the end.

Beyond has non-challenging mobs with boss level life that show up constantly and drop nothing. They also make the most ear-fucking noises the game offers, which is what finally kicked me out of the league.

I loved Invasion. I hate Beyond. If the shit mobs didn't exist and we had an interesting way to spawn the bosses, the league would be fantastic. As it is, it's an uninspired failure of a design. No new designs for the mobs we see constantly, not fun to play against them, not fun to have sound on in the game anymore. GGG really dropped the ball.

It's like how they implemented kill streaks. The basic idea is fantastic, just like with Beyond. They just chose to go in the worst possible direction.

I expected kill streaks to make my character better as I build up kills. I'd get bonus movement speed, bonus cast speed, and other things that make my character do what my character does better. Instead we get a bunch of shit abilities that I'd turn off if I could. Not a single one of those is an ability I actually want my character to have.

I don't even have a fallback league this time. They're both shit.

Edit: I didn't make it clear that I liked Invasion at every point of the balancing. The idea and implementation were sound. Even if they never got the balance quite right, it was still fun to play. Beyond is not fun. Rebalancing won't make it fun. The spawning mechanic sucks. The sound really, really sucks. I do love the bosses, but I'm not dealing with 99.9% bad league content to play against the .1% good league content.

* I applaud you man +infinity * Absolutely true !
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
No act 4 mainly. New higher level content and storyline. I don't really care for mapping. Like Atziri fights though wish whole new act was that hard.
Git R Dun!
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Beyond is about killing the player by making very powerful monsters. So is invasion. One of the biggest complaints about the onslaught and nemesis leagues by many people was that they were too 'autopilot' and 'easy', so GGG are attempting to make the hardcore gameplay hard. They don't intend to be making the game not challenging.

Yes, they may have made mistakes regarding the beyond monsters in that they don't deal enough damage to be threatening, and I am in agreement they may have made them too 'difficult' to deal with comparable to the benefit of doing so making them not worth the time to do, but it is also a careful balance as they don't want to make them something everyone WANTS to farm, they need to be in a middle area of bigger challenge than normal gameplay, but also better reward for the time invested

Spewing the same bullshit that you did in Invasion, even though you still don't play Beyond League.

The past two HC leagues blow because it's evident GGG doesn't even test their own shit. All it takes is a simple spawning of the Beyond Mobs to tell you that hey this mob is way too strong.
Trading. 90' trading system. Fix it or give players an option to play SFL.
Third party websites are saving the game at the moment.
"
MaSterX_BG wrote:

Hideouts I'm sure will play a role in Trading.
Like, you can have a Shop NPC where you have 4 stahs tabs and put ur items for sale.

Players can go to your hideout and buy whatever they want, without you being in there.
Last edited by Hurlok on Sep 3, 2014, 2:40:18 PM
"
"
MaSterX_BG wrote:

Hideouts I'm sure will play a role in Trading.
Like, you can have a Shop NPC where you have 4 stahs tabs and put ur items for sale.

Players can go to your hideout and buy whatever they want, without you being in there.
Player shops have been my single favorite thing about Asian MMOs. As a Korean, I am thrilled when a Korean MMO gets translated and has a NA/EU version released and they strive to keep it as close as possible.

Part of why I did not play NA Tera is because they took out a lot of the traits that made it a traditional Korean mmo- the grinding, the player shops, etc. Selling stuff while you're afk or asleep is the greatest thing in the world. You set your own prices, people come in, buy if they want to buy, pass if they don't. Easy peasy.

Not sure how you'd incorporate player shops in POE though, how would you find them? You'd have zones crammed with players and everyone trying to set up a shop, and you'd need some sort of identifier like a shop name. Interesting idea but I'm thinking highly unlikely (unfortunately).
IGN- Vyvanne | Voxxvi (Tempest League)
Vyvanne's Odds and Bods Boutique - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1311497
"
allbusiness wrote:

The past two HC leagues blow because it's evident GGG doesn't even test their own shit. All it takes is a simple spawning of the Beyond Mobs to tell you that hey this mob is way too strong.

QA team was to busy "testing" their hideouts... to bother testing beyond, or the master missions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info