Is PoE becoming D3? All crit all the time?

"
allbusiness wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
In d3, you couldn't make a viable build without crit, here you can. That's the way I look at it anyways.

You can easily make a viable build without focusing your entire build on crit. There's plenty of builds that focus on toughness and survivability rather than DPSing mobs down. It's funny because all the major complaints of classic D3 Inferno mode are starting to surface in PoE, especially after the recent numerous changes and nerfs.

"
grepman wrote:
like someone said already, D3 REQUIRED you to have crit

in PoE its not required. yeah a ton of powerful builds need crit, but a lot still do not. unfortunately, I agree that crit is definitely getting waay too popular with lots of crit nodes concenrated in a rather smallish area.

when open beta started, everyone and their moms was using RT and nearly no one used crit builds.

right now, crit is just the best way to scale damage when you have access to great gear
the main reason why crit is so good is that other ways of scaling damage at high level suck.
increased damage nodes dont scale well at all, attack speed and cast speed dont scale well either.

but crit chance and multi do

reflect is almost singlehandedly a required feature for even somehow putting some sane boundaries on crit multi

even for a weapon with shitty base crit chance (specific weapon for a build, lets say chin sol for example) when you start scaling damage crit chance and multi still come out ahead of pretty much anything else.

The only reason why this occured was because accuracy used to suck massive cock in OB, and reflect was much stronger back then.

That being said, Lionseye Glare used to be king back then because you had no accuracy issues and you could just stack crit for days and absolutely obliterate everything with LA.
Last edited by allbusiness on Sep 1, 2014, 7:09:57 PM
At first, i thought you was talking about ViperStrike and BurningArrow how these are LINEAR as their other elemental/counterparts, i don't like how GGG changing many unpopular skills by just adding RAW damage or converted them into a LINEAR mechanic to scale the damage, imo it's a step against the diversity of gameplay styles.
"
2i0 wrote:
At first, i thought you was talking about ViperStrike and BurningArrow how these are LINEAR as their other elemental/counterparts, i don't like how GGG changing many unpopular skills by just adding RAW damage or converted them into a LINEAR mechanic to scale the damage, imo it's a step against the diversity of gameplay styles.
Unfortunately DPS is king and raw damage is the only thing that matters. Amny skill that isn't competitive with the best raw damage skill is essentially second-tier.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Autocthon wrote:
"
2i0 wrote:
Unfortunately DPS is king and raw damage is the only thing that matters. Amny skill that isn't competitive with the best raw damage skill is essentially second-tier.

Well yeah, DPS is king, but does every skill need its DPS to scale with *yawn* physical/crit? More interesting skills like Righteous Fire (scale with life) and old Viper Strike (scale with DOT and APS) are needed.
"
Taganov wrote:

Well yeah, DPS is king, but does every skill need its DPS to scale with *yawn* physical/crit? More interesting skills like Righteous Fire (scale with life) and old Viper Strike (scale with DOT and APS) are needed.
Quite simply cit scales best so yes they do have to scale with crit. Phys scales best in terms of potential output, and yes it scales better than every alternative including RF.

There's just no way to keep up with the two short of massively buffing everything, but then spellcasters become king since they require next to no gear (and we can see how SRS makes people feel).

This issue is why D3 chose to scale everything off equipped weapon damage. If you have two types of scaling one gear based and one not the one that scales best with least input is best (until you have the input to scale the one that scales best overall).

Step 1: Scale everything in equivalent fashion (mostly there)
Step 2: Give each skill a niche based on use-case rather than scaling type.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
In d3, you couldn't make a viable build without crit, here you can. That's the way I look at it anyways.

um that is debatable , in d3 i made plenty of *viable* builds without crit that could do inferno. they were just slow and painful to play.

I think we need to stop using the term "viable" so loosely.

2 hand builds are viable , but in no way means they are even close to crit builds. There should be strong builds and weak builds depending on how well a person builds a character.

But there never should be such a clear winner.

and make no mistake crit is the clear winner. And it is not just about being able to hit 500k dps. If that was the only problem then it would a simple matter to fix.

problem number 1 is obviously damage, but that can be fixed by capping crit multi to something reasonable like 300%. this has the added benefit of lifting crit out of the current situation where the only way to go is to max crit multi. having a cap means crit builds can focus in other places and can stop being so one dimensional.

problem number 2 is surgeons flasks. Until you actually play with these things , you wont know how powerful they are. infinite potions independent of kills. I would KILL people for the ability to have infinite granite flasks or quick silver flasks vs a hard boss? or a prolong fight?

it is a massive and over looked advantage in these discussions , non crit has no equal to it.

finally problem number 3 status effects.
crits ability to get status effects is an issue . but only because of the other issues . but when you combine the most damage in the game with infinite flasks , and then the ability to proc truly powerful debuffs , you get insane combinations.

one last thing , we need to stop using "expensive gear" as the justification of these perks. the gear is expensive because of the demand , not because of the perks.

expense has done nothing to keep things like legacy crown of eyes and shavs from completely dominating build meta for the last year and longer. It does not work as a balancing mechanism.

I would ask that we stop bringing it up.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 2, 2014, 8:50:01 AM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

um that is debatable , in d3 i made plenty of *viable* builds without crit that could do inferno. they were just slow and painful to play.

I think we need to stop using the term "viable" so loosely.

2 hand builds are viable , but in no way means they are even close to crit builds. There should be strong builds and weak builds depending on how well a person builds a character.

But there never should be such a clear winner.

and make no mistake crit is the clear winner. And it is not just about being able to hit 500k dps. If that was the only problem then it would a simple matter to fix.

problem number 1 is obviously damage, but that can be fixed by capping crit multi to something reasonable like 300%. this has the added benefit of lifting crit out of the current situation where the only way to go is to max crit multi. having a cap means crit builds can focus in other places and can stop being so one dimensional.

problem number 2 is surgeons flasks. Until you actually play with these things , you wont know how powerful they are. infinite potions independent of kills. I would KILL people for the ability to have infinite granite flasks or quick silver flasks vs a hard boss? or a prolong fight?

it is a massive and over looked advantage in these discussions , non crit has no equal to it.

finally problem number 3 status effects.
crits ability to get status effects is an issue . but only because of the other issues . but when you combine the most damage in the game with infinite flasks , and then the ability to proc truly powerful debuffs , you get insane combinations.

one last thing , we need to stop using "expensive gear" as the justification of these perks. the gear is expensive because of the demand , not because of the perks.

expense has done nothing to keep things like legacy crown of eyes and shavs from completely dominating build meta for the last year and longer. It does not work as a balancing mechanism.

I would ask that we stop bringing it up.
While correct I must nitpick

There is no such thing as Legacy Crown of Eyes. There is Crown of Eyes pre-nerf and post nerf. But no legacy.

Edit: Technically non-crit has charges when they get crit. Good luck with that.
Last edited by Autocthon on Sep 2, 2014, 9:18:45 AM
well when i say legacy anything , i just mean its prenerfed form , which is technically what legacy's are. It just that some don't get a legacy when they get nerfed.

and non crit has charges when they take a crit , which i would not consider a very good option.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 2, 2014, 11:31:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info